Ultimate DF Table

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Ultimate DF Table

Post by zenako » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:45 am

One thing to seriously think about is where the DM will be sitting in the proposed layout. I know that on my 1 level 5'x10' gaming surface (with a 4'x8' Mondo hex/sq mat on top) that I sit in the middle of the long edge opposite where the players enter the game room. I have players on both short sides and along the opposite side. That gives me the freedom to move along the entire side to move figures without having to reach over folks. I tend to bias the locations of encounters towards my side of the game table (the mat is basically close to flush on my side leaving almost a foot of bare table around the other three sides) for players to place their books, character sheets, etc.

So with that logic you could also consider an asymmetric design since it will only be used for gaming.
Attachments
Game Table.jpg
gaming table
Game Table.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 pm

Sounds like we have some similar plans percolating. For the surround, I wanting a dice tray and a drink holder, for sure. Not sure yet on where they will be located. We typically have groups of 4-8 playing. My concern is with a table 4' wide that if I add too much stuff along the outside that it will make it that much harder to reach down into the recess. I am leaning toward attachable cup holders and dice trays with a groove allowing for mobility - if I can figure out the design. As for the DM, I think I will use a separate table that will just be placed on one end - typically the narrow end forming something like a 'T'. The DMs needs are different than the players with the added DM screen, more books/papers, figures, etc.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:26 pm

my table will be like a school desk - with a cubby underneath the player surface (two on each side one on each end) - sunken drink holder on one side, dice tray on the other - the issue is how deep to make the surface (from player's belly to the drop) - somewhere between 8-12" - 8" seems skinny, but due to narrow room every inch i give the players narrows the playing surface - current plan is 8" with a 32" wide recess but i am persevorating...

my comment was to encourage the original poster to consider where his players would keep stuff and roll dice

for my plans the cubby space is not enough for a GM - i intend to use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/ADEPTUS-76178- ... 9JJYYJA0TV

drawers are big enough to hold an opened book or a terrain tray! fold the side part down and stick it in the corner after the game is done
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Kitenerd, can't you just make a DM's table that attaches to the lip? You could then move it if necessary, depending on the setup that night, and if you make it a little raised, you can have a cubby underneath that stores minis/books/etc. Kind of like what Stefan has with his table at his gallery.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm

A lot of good thought has gone into the play area from a DM perspective - but where is the surround?

I need a place for my drink, dice tray, character sheet and minis (i summon - a LOT)... - this is where i am struggling in my own design - the wider it gets the harder it is to see into the sunken area (think of outfield walls in baseball) but too narrow and it is just annoying and things fall into the play area

I look forward to seeing your results - DIY rocks!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 pm

The top tray will not be attached but designed to add or remove - for a tall build like a castle I will remove it if needed. The light under it I will just power by attaching to an outlet on one corner of the table and run the cord down a leg, perhaps counter-sunk using a router.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:38 pm

I checked the height of my legs while sitting in chairs and it was comfortably under 24". There is a delicate balance between enough room for legs under table and not making the table top (layer 2 in my design) too high - 29-31" is a pretty standard height for tables. Much higher than that leads to awkward ergonomics. Thanks for the comment - I do want to add a few shelves for books/papers, a fold down writing space and probably a few cup holders. I am mostly interested in the approach of having multiple levels with the removable panels.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Slots on the bottom of the table to hold books so they can be stored out of the way until needed would be nice.

If possible, you might want to be able to have the option of having the top layer on the table without having the middle layer if you have tall trees or buildings. That would give you 13" of space to work with under the top tray.

Light strips would also be a cool idea inside the table so you could have eerie glows that would especially look good with a fog machine. I see you have lighting on the bottom side of the top tray. How will lighting be done if the tray has to be on? They have lights you can change with a remote.

Is a 24" leg high enough? How tall are your chairs? You have to have room for legs unless you are playing on the floor or have a sunken area in the room like a Japanese kotatsu table.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Ultimate DF Table

Post by scott102303 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm working on plans for building my ultimate DF table and I wanted to see if any of you seasoned players out there would offer me suggestions on it. I have a dedicated room for gaming, so my table will be likewise only used for gaming. My vision is to have three layers for gaming - each layer featuring a battlemat or DF build as needed. The table will be 8'x4', I believe. All three layers will have 22 gauge sheet metal tops for magnetic pieces to fit better. The middle layer will have 2-3 removable panels to open up an area below for an additional build as some expensive pre-made tables have. The top layer will be one I bring in as needed - think of it as a TV tray-type thing that rests on the middle layer. I am considering the value of having the depth of the lower layer to be exactly 6" below the middle one so that I can have builds spill down from the middle layer to the bottom layer. Think of it this way - The middle layer would have a dungeon and then would end at the edge of one of my panels and I could remove this exposing the dungeon below that is reached by stairs with up to 3 elevations of 2" dropping down to lowest level of my table. My description may be a little hard to follow - I have a simple mock-up from excel below with each square being 1". Please comment. Thanks.
Attachments
DF Ultimate Table.png
DF Ultimate Table.png (67.52 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”