Help realizing the Old Fishery in Curse of the Crimson Throne

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
scott102303
Orc
Orc

Re: Help realizing the Old Fishery in Curse of the Crimson Throne

Post by scott102303 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:59 am

Try taking pictures of the build as you deconstruct it layer by layer and use the method DF uses for their build docs - spread the pieces out a little showing them individually.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 am

Ran this over the weekend. People seemed generally impressed happy with it (but the lofted section was starting to fall apart, not enough support. Maybe "ok" for the theme of an old, decripit building but a little frustrating from a build perspective.

Probably going to try rebuilding it once more before putting it away -- want to see if I can use terrain trays to help provide a more stable base for large city builder second floor builds. Also want to see if I can do the split-level build that the module actually calls for. Pretty sure I can't do both of those experiments simultaneously --
the foot print of the second floor is 2 12" by 8" sections. Currently I have them all the same height. so I can throw a 12"x12" terrain tray under the lofted & half of the support section and feel good. But if I drop the lofted section by a bit then I can't use a large tray. Would need to use multiple 4x8s and that might not be any more stable that my interlocked double posts.

Also, do people have prefered ways of documenting/recording a build for rebuilding? Pretty sure this is one I'll want to come back to. While a couple of photos are nice, I'm not sure if there's a more methodical approach (either photos or otherwise) to make sure its easy to reconstruct.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am

Yeah some of the doubles take a fair bit of oomph and squeezing and contorting. Quads might be worse, but if you can get them to work.... It would also be nice to have a quad-pillar -- sturdy baseplate with four pegs and a smaller circular cross section pillar. For times when you need to hold the floor together and support a second floor, without needing to have walls.

Got my extra doors in yesterday, so I think I can finish the build tonight, and then start packing it up for transport (next weeked), but I need the table for a game this weekend.

Trying to decide if I want to switch to a blue cloth for the water -- it can cover more of the build.... but the terrain trays look better for the intended 'kinda gross' stagnant river shore water the environment intends. Keep wanting to add just "a bit" more of the surrounding terrain -- not that its needed at all, just to have a nicer framing.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 am

Very nice build :)
always a treat to see how DooFers adapt sculpts for specific builds.

One thing about a quadruple post - it would be hard to line up!
We have problems with just the double.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Oh and for your upper level docks these would be perfect
http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... ts_id=1055

If you got in on the kickstarter they were actually a reasonable price, sigh.

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:47 pm

If you have extra posts, you can make a 4-corner post with some crazy glue or epoxy. Glue four posts together. You can do an "innie" or an "outy". Innie is harder, as you have to find or cut a square piece that fits exactly in the four corner "pocket thingies" from city builder posts, and fill the gaps with green stuff.But you don't have to wait for DF to get to it.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:30 pm

oh! just thought about some of the pedestals type pieces in the resin water cavers.... those might work better for the supports for the rickety walkway

edit: nope, none of those are smaller than the elevation pieces.

Columns from DoE and RotA don't look correct. Pedestals from KS1 aren't enough of an improvement aesthetically wise (and would need to be double stacked).

Guess I'll stick with erinthor.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm bringing this to a venue so I'm trying to keep it "simple" -- that's one nice thing about large city builder builds -- they transport easily with a box and are easy to reassemble on site with fewer pieces to setup/remember how to arrange. Some of the elevation is a bit fiddly but key to the adventure and worth it for appearance.

Slightly tempted to extend one more 4x8 of road past the wharf (but out of water tiles, so to have the cliff facade visible on both sides, but that would be purely for looks.

Not sure how I want to deal with a roof/covering... can use my cloth placements I usually use, or maybe a combination of stone/tudor floors... don't really have enough of either to due purely one or the other... and of course the adventure isn't designed for people to climb the roof and bypass the building to get to the boat & beyond -- and I think a flat/visible roof would encourage that. But as it feels more diorama-y than my usual dungeon builds I sorta want to complete the look

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm

I like the use of the mountain pieces giving the elevation. Looks awesome!
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 pm

And had to order some extra doors as I didn't have enough!

Definitely wish DF made a four corner connector post, would help with stability for large lofted rooms. And wish there were a better solution for the time when you need to connect from a normal corner post to the center of a connector post.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”