Seeking Pokorny Paint Color Comparison Chart

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Timcz83
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Seeking Pokorny Paint Color Comparison Chart

Post by Timcz83 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Does anyone know potentially what Vallejo or Army painter colours might match the Moss green, and the shallow water seaweed green?

Both are out of stock currently, and would like to get onto painting my water cavern tiles and a few other things. Sadly living in Australia ordering just paint from the website isnt a real economical option either.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 pm

patransom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 pm
I had the best match to the factory dungeon paint using Cavern Dry Brush mixed with some yellow/orange. Stone Edge Dry brush is useful for matching the factory city and castle paint.
Perfect - thanks for the info!

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:17 pm

hunter_something wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
Thanks for all the responses! It does sound like it's worth giving Pokorny paints a shot, and as I was digging a little deeper, I'm no longer sure if I need one I was looking at that's out of stock...

I was watching the The Joy of Dwarven Painting: Dungeon of Doom Dungeon Walls! video, and at the start of the video, it shows Stone Edge Dry Brush as the color needed for dry brushing. But then, during the actual painting step, it shows Cavern Dry Brush as the paint used.

In some of the other painting videos, it also looks like Cavern Dry Brush is what they're using for the dry brushing. Can anyone confirm whether Cavern Dry Brush is the one I should be looking at?
I had the best match to the factory dungeon paint using Cavern Dry Brush mixed with some yellow/orange. Stone Edge Dry brush is useful for matching the factory city and castle paint.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Whoever gets the three new colors needs to try to compare them to other companies offerings too!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 am

hunter_something wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am
Thanks for all the responses! It does sound like it's worth giving Pokorny paints a shot, and as I was digging a little deeper, I'm no longer sure if I need one I was looking at that's out of stock...

I was watching the The Joy of Dwarven Painting: Dungeon of Doom Dungeon Walls! video, and at the start of the video, it shows Stone Edge Dry Brush as the color needed for dry brushing. But then, during the actual painting step, it shows Cavern Dry Brush as the paint used.

In some of the other painting videos, it also looks like Cavern Dry Brush is what they're using for the dry brushing. Can anyone confirm whether Cavern Dry Brush is the one I should be looking at?
I use the stone edge for dungeons and the cavern dry brush for caves ;) The cavern dry brush has a eggshell like finish.
I never buy painted so I am not trying to match.

I used both on these.

Black primer and craft paint on the right. I also use a blue gray for under dark.

Styrofoam and hydro cal must be primed It is an option with the DF

Dry brushed with olive, highlight Stone edge

Dry brush looks different over different base coats.

Pre dry brush and highlight.
Primer or not and base coat color will make a bigger difference than the highlight
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:29 am

What I often have done is add a bottle or two to another order if there is a color I want to add. So far only two colors have had to have been reordered, the Base Gray and Base Wood. I tend to use them as first coats on any stone or wooden piece as a starting point, and then add more colors to vary them up. Helps to give a consistency to any of my own painting as well.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am

I believe the differences in the dry brush color is more a matter of the level of tinting you can observe. As I recall one has a bit more yellow to it. (Cavern I believe.) Both are very thin and serve well to highlight features and I would suspect that either one would be perfectly suitable for use. One reason DF often mentions specific paints is to give the folks at our end the best chance of coming close to matching the factory tints and hues on their painted parts. (The factory uses different paints I am sure, not 4 oz bottles....)

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:47 am

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 am

Since there's an Army Painter tab on your chart, maybe this will help chart the Pokorny Paints, maybe not...

Deep Lava matches Army Painter Chaotic Red
Base Gray matches Army Painter Dungeon Gray

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:14 am

We are going to be placing an order for paint soon though I don't have an ETA yet. As soon as I do, I'll let you guys know.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”