Continued exploration of 5' passage walls

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Continued exploration of 5' passage walls

Post by kitenerd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:13 pm

That is awesome - we play the game all the time - never occurred to me to use DF to recreate it

It is one of the top 5 kid games at our house!

Forbidden Island
Labyrinth
Magic Labyrinth
Exploding Kittens
Memory (any one of several versions)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:02 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am
while i love the claustrophobic feel of this build from a story standpoint, i cannot imagine actually running minis through it - ugh!

I once designed a minotaur maze with moving walls - someday i will have to build it with DF
Anyone ever played the boardgame Labyrinth? I did that with my players once; it was both awesome and highly frustrating for them as things kept moving. :)

VuVui-8aTaqP6oPR1Lyoxw.jpg
VuVui-8aTaqP6oPR1Lyoxw.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Vbz68nvAQ6CwbKqn2f6ALg.jpg
Vbz68nvAQ6CwbKqn2f6ALg.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am

while i love the claustrophobic feel of this build from a story standpoint, i cannot imagine actually running minis through it - ugh!

I once designed a minotaur maze with moving walls - someday i will have to build it with DF
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:16 pm

I didn't get any of these to try, but didn't the DoD come with some 1x1 square columns (although they do have pillars on each corner) that would fill in those areas you need a 'U' shape for? Just a thought. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:51 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:27 pm
At this point, it might be better to just forego the walls and do 5' passages without walls.
Even doing that forces you into the add 1" for walls motif since otherwise you have two floors, no walls next to each other when they should be two separate corridors. At which point adding the walls generally works. Only for tight builds do the walls fail, but so does a wallless build.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm
I ordered more of the tab passage intersections.I have not worked enough with them.

"1x1 negative space containing U with tabs to the three sides would be useful for allowing this style of build"
I will think about this.

Do you need tabs on three sides?
I ordered an extra doomroller on top of all my other stuff to get more passages.

The piece I'm envisioning doesn't need tab, and might be easier to use without them. Just needs to be a 1' footprint piece with walls on three sides. The void can be floored, or vacant.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:00 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:27 pm
At this point, it might be better to just forego the walls and do 5' passages without walls.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:27 pm

102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm

I ordered more of the tab passage intersections.I have not worked enough with them.

"1x1 negative space containing U with tabs to the three sides would be useful for allowing this style of build"
I will think about this.

Do you need tabs on three sides?
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Continued exploration of 5' passage walls

Post by nielsene » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:25 am

I'm continuing to play with passage wall builds. Current motivation was trying to makea compact, simple 5' passage maze -- akin to a (much smaller) squared off classic Minotaur's labyrinth. Ie all right angles, all 5 foot passages. The classic rendition of course suffers from the bane of DF everywhere -- zero width walls. We all know multiple workarounds, and they work well in isolate instances, but when you have prolonged/stacked instance of the issue it adds up.

For the purpose of this post I'd like to stay focused on 5' hallways being the defining/limiting aspect (rather than expanding to 7.5' hallways using standard 2x2 builds (which I'm pretty sure I could do easily).

One of the common features is the 'double back', here's the two closest options I've come up with, both have flaws.
5-passage-doubleback.jpg
5-passage-doubleback.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
The first one leads to a pretty drastic scale increase, but buys enough space to "eat" the offset into negative space. You do need to be careful, not to squish the hallways together (as I did in the photo) since there should be some empty space between the two walls to keep the grid. This also means that the end cap of the interior wall is a void, and needs some accessory/something to fill it in. A 1x1 negative space containing U with tabs to the three sides would be useful for allowing this style of build

The second one is closest in intent and might work for builds that only need a single doubleback. The grid alignment mismatch at the u-turn can be partially hidden/ameliorated with the corner pillars. However the main body of the build is perpetually off-grid now, so if you're trying to make an interlocking maze you'll have trouble. A series of pieces that are based on a floor piece that is a wall width could solve this. But would likely need a full assortment of standard passage, T intersection, right angle, etc. But this feels a little past 'advanced builder' levels of grid manipulation. The other big advantage of this style is that its wall efficient.

Finally a 'complete' mini maze. Very rough, lots of minor grid alignment issue, especially as the magnets sometimes fight against precise fits.
5-mini-maze.jpg
5-mini-maze.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
You can see three places where the 1x1 U would have solved a lot of problems. A cleaner way of generating a 5' dead end would also be nice.

Have people found tricks, rules of thumb, etc when working entirely in 5' passages that they'd like to share?

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”