Elevation pieces

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Elevation pieces

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm

If you are looking for some different stairs the castle stair pack is another good one.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:42 am

The easy solution is to just win the lottery. :)

Going to take a look at my current diases and see how many more I want for extra "non-epic" stairs, but that and at least one more epic stairs set seems to be a good place to start! Of course, I want more floors and walls too so . . . lol

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 22, 2019 5:20 am

Gargs454 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am
That's a lot of monsters! I like your style. :D

Seriously though, these are all great ideas and gives me the inspiration I need. I still will want some of the transition type pieces (stairs, diases, ramps, etc.) but I don't necessarily need them all at once, or as much as I was thinking. This does give me a little more flexibility in choosing what to get since there are a number of other things I want to pick up too.
Yes regardless how you elevate parts of your build you still need ways to get up to them, so daises and grand stairways do the trick very nicely.

In fact DF provide many ways to do this from dedicated Stairs (CBS and Castles) to Grand Stairways to daises, elevation blocks and small stairs to CD Rising walls
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm
The other thing you can watch out for is packing foam. Many times it ends up being really close to 2" thick and you can use it instead of boxes and being a plain color would be less distracting. I keep an eye open for the trash at work from various incoming shipments and grab foam that looks like a good match. If it not, then I can just toss it with no money wasted on my end. That is what makes the foam Blocks that our Japan-based friend uses so attractive to folks, basic color, very modular and relatively inexpensive. Most foam from locations around the US does not have the nice dimensions his blocks come with.
I went with the packing foam option. Someone gave me a stack of 1 inch thick sheets they had found and which were just going to be chucked out. I cut them into 10x10 inch and 10x5 inch slabs (yes, I like my grids!) and then glued two slabs together giving me 10x10x2 and 10x5x2 elevation blocks. I then bought some thin sheets of card, cut it into 2 inch wide strips and glued these around the blocks to stop the edges from being broken. You could use cereal boxes for the card but I wanted strips I could wrap round the whole block and only have one seam where they met (yes, picky that way!). I then got 1L of black acrylic paint and used a small paint roller to paint the entire block. Total cost was A$5 for the card and $10 for the paint. The other stuff was free of I had it already (craft knife, cutting board, PVA glue and partner who doesn't mind her half her dining room being used as my craft workshop). ;)

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 pm

zenako wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am
Even for dungeon stuff using nonDF stuff to gain elevation can be a workable solution. In the picture below, I have a sheet of plexiglass supported by 4 or 5 USPS Priority Mail boxes had available, and you can see some packing material cardboard supports for some towers on a small hill in the background.
This reminds me of those original Doom levels, where all the monsters were stored in hidden rooms that open up and belch them forth when you trigger something, haha.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 am

That's a lot of monsters! I like your style. :D

Seriously though, these are all great ideas and gives me the inspiration I need. I still will want some of the transition type pieces (stairs, diases, ramps, etc.) but I don't necessarily need them all at once, or as much as I was thinking. This does give me a little more flexibility in choosing what to get since there are a number of other things I want to pick up too.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am

Even for dungeon stuff using nonDF stuff to gain elevation can be a workable solution. In the picture below, I have a sheet of plexiglass supported by 4 or 5 USPS Priority Mail boxes had available, and you can see some packing material cardboard supports for some towers on a small hill in the background.
Attachments
Necro Warehouse Overview.jpg
Necro Warehouse Overview
Necro Warehouse Overview.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 363 times

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Agree on the diases. I already have a set each of the straight and curved. Will likely pick more up as time goes on. GT and Acid Bath were both on my wish list too. Frankly, most of the stuff is lol. That said, I really only have a coupe hundred (might be able to stretch to three) to spend right now, so trying to get the most mileage for my money. Of course, I also love the caverns (which I have none of and couldn't do the KS as I had just bought a house which necessitated a lot of other purchases) and even the city stuff. *Sigh* Why does DF have to make such awesome stuff? :lol:

Regardless, I'm going to focus on the dungeon stuff for now I think so that I can have a nice variety there, then probably switch to working on caverns, etc. I do appreciate the replies though as they are really helpful. The one good thing is that the size of my builds will currently be somewhat limited by necessity as I currently travel to my games, so need something that can be put together fairly quickly -- terrain trays should definitely help with that.

NiandoBG
Goblin
Goblin

Post by NiandoBG » Mon May 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Gargs454 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:12 pm
The elevation mega pack is extremely tempting . . . but sooo expensive. :( So how much do you typically use in a decent sized build? (i.e. enough for a few rooms at once) I know the blocks are supposed to be pretty key (and it makes sense) but was curious about things like ramps, arched extensions, etc. Basically, having difficulty picturing builds without the actual stuff and trying to figure out the next round of purchases.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!
I bought an elevation mega pack recently. It’s really nice, but to do a bigger dungeon with more elevation or if the elevation shall go at least two time the normal height you will come to the conclusion that one mega pack is not enough... :(

I recommend you to go the Japanese block route, wooden blocks, or as already mentioned: board game boxes if your budget is tight.

If your looking for new stuff: depending of what you already have: I recommend you the encounters Acid Bath, Gorgon Tier or the Forsaken Temple. They give you a good variety of pieces. If you are looking for add on packs the curved and straight Dias are cool and IMO quite versatile.

But that’s just my personal opinion. :geek:

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm

The other thing you can watch out for is packing foam. Many times it ends up being really close to 2" thick and you can use it instead of boxes and being a plain color would be less distracting. I keep an eye open for the trash at work from various incoming shipments and grab foam that looks like a good match. If it not, then I can just toss it with no money wasted on my end. That is what makes the foam Blocks that our Japan-based friend uses so attractive to folks, basic color, very modular and relatively inexpensive. Most foam from locations around the US does not have the nice dimensions his blocks come with.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”