Matching castle/CBS paint scheme

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
astolat
Orc
Orc

Re: Matching castle/CBS paint scheme

Post by astolat » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 am

FWIW, some city builder painted stone is also just done in a significantly different grey color; ie, the grey plastic of the painted floors is a different grey than the unpainted grey floors, even if you just turn them over and look at the undersides. I wanted all my stone to match, and I already had a bunch of painted city builder, so when painting my unpainted castle and city stone, I took a partly used bottle of base grey and added a bunch of blue (I used liquitex ultramarine blue IIRC) and a bit of deep lava and messed around until I got a color that matched, and have used that as a basecoat on all my other stone.

Anyway, I think this technique (mixing up your own base grey and using it as a base coat, and then going from there) is the only way to get fully consistent stone, sadly!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 am

No, you're right. We all have this error.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm
GardenDM wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Also, keep in mind that there is some color variation within the Castle sets. IIRC, one example is the round tower floor has a different tone/shade than the round crenelations / ramparts that connect to them. I think there are a couple of other examples of consistent color variation (i.e. not paint errors, but differences that are repeated across the entire line).
I would politely disagree. I feel they are paint errors and just weren't caught in time.

Everyone found out about the paint colors not matching at delivery.

But yes, there are two different colors of drybrush on the castle sets, depending on what piece you are looking at. Crenelations are different than the walls/floors.
I think we're saying the same thing, but I wasn't careful enough with my terminology. However, I'm curious if my understanding is incorrect.

Here's the terms as I'm imagining them, updated to be more precise
  • Paint error - one or more painters makes one or more mistakes in applying the paint to the product. This error could occur repeatedly, however some of these pieces will be painted to standard and others will not, depending on the painter
  • Color standard error - the paint standard for a particular piece has a major variance (mismatch) from other pieces in the same set. All pieces of this type will match each other, within normal variation, but will visibly not match other types of pieces from the set
To give a specific example of each:
  • Paint error - Some of my arched walls have no drybrushing on the arches and are plain black. This is an error because a step was skipped or performed poorly. Most of the arched walls have this step applied and match each other and the rest of DoD
  • Color standard error - The round tower ramparts are a different color than the tower floors. To my knowledge this is consistent across the product line (all castles sold) and isn't a paint application error.
Here's a photo of each to further highlight what I mean.
paint error.jpg
paint error.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 474 times
color error.jpg
color error.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 474 times
If I'm wrong in my assumption (i.e. the tower floor vs crenelations were just a paint error), I'd love to know. I've been assuming we all have this issue and it's not just a hit or miss paint application error (like some had with a small % of DoD pieces).

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Also, keep in mind that there is some color variation within the Castle sets. IIRC, one example is the round tower floor has a different tone/shade than the round crenelations / ramparts that connect to them. I think there are a couple of other examples of consistent color variation (i.e. not paint errors, but differences that are repeated across the entire line).
I would politely disagree. I feel they are paint errors and just weren't caught in time.

Everyone found out about the paint colors not matching at delivery.

But yes, there are two different colors of drybrush on the castle sets, depending on what piece you are looking at. Crenelations are different than the walls/floors.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm

szabbran wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:18 pm
I have a few unpainted pieces (buttresses and large/small batters for towers) that I want to paint up to match my current pre-painted dwarvenite as much as possible. I've looked at the painting guides on the site here, and they show that the only difference between CBS and castles pieces is that the stone CBS should have a dungeon gray basecoat, then both use the same formula of cardboard details and stone edge drybrush.

Is this true? For my hand-painted CBS/castle pieces, there seems to be a noticeable difference in the colors. My towers in particular seem to have a bit of a blue-ish tint to them, and I'm not sure if that has to do with the undercoat, or something else different in the formula. I don't mind a little variation, but if there's something I should know before trying to get the rest of my pieces painted I'd love a heads up!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue May 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I think you're right. I don't have the answer for you, but I want to let you know you're not crazy; the drybrush is a different color.

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Matching castle/CBS paint scheme

Post by szabbran » Tue May 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I have a few unpainted pieces (buttresses and large/small batters for towers) that I want to paint up to match my current pre-painted dwarvenite as much as possible. I've looked at the painting guides on the site here, and they show that the only difference between CBS and castles pieces is that the stone CBS should have a dungeon gray basecoat, then both use the same formula of cardboard details and stone edge drybrush.

Is this true? For my hand-painted CBS/castle pieces, there seems to be a noticeable difference in the colors. My towers in particular seem to have a bit of a blue-ish tint to them, and I'm not sure if that has to do with the undercoat, or something else different in the formula. I don't mind a little variation, but if there's something I should know before trying to get the rest of my pieces painted I'd love a heads up!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”