Poll on Washing Dwarvenite

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.

Do you wash your dwarvenite before painting it?

I wash every piece
22%
I have never washed a piece
67%
I have washed some pieces but not all of them.
11%

Total votes: 46

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Poll on Washing Dwarvenite

Post by dice4hire » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:56 pm

I also had a bit of trouble with DoD that I had never had before painting DF, ie beading up especially on the floors. I wonder what CD will be like as I also got it mostly unpainted.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 am

Resurrecting an old post I know, but thought it better than starting new. :p

I would note that I have had some issues with my DoD pieces beading up terribly. I can eventually get the paint to stick though without washing, but it does take several passes with the brush before it starts to stick in some cases.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Vaseline can be used to coat a metal part that is exposed and should stay put during mild hand washing. Once you finish you can wipe it away. I have had to wash very little of my dwarvenite to get paint to stick.I can't speak to CBS specifically though, I went all painted so far. The only unpainted I plan to buy in the future are some accessories for alternate schemes and maybe some floor tiles. The tiles will be if DF doesn't do garden tiles and I decide to mod instead of making from scratch, I plan to try to make my own if they don't release some.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
jchunick wrote: The steel in them is likely not galvanized thus will rust... so be careful... rust is only very weakly magnetic. Of course, it'd have to severely rust, but introducing water to steel is probably not a good idea to start with.
Josh, do you think it is safe to wash the CBS posts with the metal pin? Those look like they are stainless or coated to prevent rust. I haven't started painting my CBS yet, so want to be sure not to do something foolish.

I assume you are referring to the roofs or other walls with embedded metal that can risk rusting. Maybe a damp cloth wipe will work for washing those? I'm not going to submerge the lighted walls either, of course.

I have felt more comfortable washing all my tiles so far, but hate that it adds another whole step to painting tiles. I'm surprised how few actually wash everything, maybe it is overkill and I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm curious if any of those who did not wash, and have used tiles extensively, have had problems with excessive paint coming off.
I can't confirm that the metal inside will rust in any given situation, but I think that keeping these potential issues in mind when washing them will help ensure you are careful... after all, how would you know without opening up the roofs?...which I recommend against as I did this with one roof that was missing it's plates, and managed to damage it pretty well. If you end up with water in the roof after submerging it and can't get it all out then it will have time to rust the metal.

Bottom line is to be careful if washing and maybe keep from submerging it.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:39 pm

I didn't wash mine and the only issues I've had are my ice dungeons that I painted white can get a fingernail scratch or scuff from a mini and the heavy white will show the dungeon gray below, but nothing like flaking or anything that I would attribute to not washing.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:05 pm

jchunick wrote: The steel in them is likely not galvanized thus will rust... so be careful... rust is only very weakly magnetic. Of course, it'd have to severely rust, but introducing water to steel is probably not a good idea to start with.
Josh, do you think it is safe to wash the CBS posts with the metal pin? Those look like they are stainless or coated to prevent rust. I haven't started painting my CBS yet, so want to be sure not to do something foolish.

I assume you are referring to the roofs or other walls with embedded metal that can risk rusting. Maybe a damp cloth wipe will work for washing those? I'm not going to submerge the lighted walls either, of course.

I have felt more comfortable washing all my tiles so far, but hate that it adds another whole step to painting tiles. I'm surprised how few actually wash everything, maybe it is overkill and I shouldn't worry about it.

I'm curious if any of those who did not wash, and have used tiles extensively, have had problems with excessive paint coming off.

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:38 pm

I have had to wash some due to paint beading as well. I painted more than a 100 pieces before I ran into a batch with issues.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:58 pm

Trent1098s wrote:I had problems with Reaper MSP paints beading up on dwarvenite pieces until I started washing.

At first I scrubbed them with a toothbrush like I do Bones miniatures. But that was horribly slow.

So now I fill tubs with hot water and a LOT of soap, maybe 1 tbsp / half gallon of water. Put lid on, agitate for a few moments, rinse off with cold tap water.

Paint sticks perfectly once the pieces dry, out of the pot with no primer.

Roof pieces will take in water and need to have a small hole drilled in their underside to drain back out. Otherwise no problems.
The steel in them is likely not galvanized thus will rust... so be careful... rust is only very weakly magnetic. Of course, it'd have to severely rust, but introducing water to steel is probably not a good idea to start with.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Trent1098s
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Trent1098s » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I had problems with Reaper MSP paints beading up on dwarvenite pieces until I started washing.

At first I scrubbed them with a toothbrush like I do Bones miniatures. But that was horribly slow.

So now I fill tubs with hot water and a LOT of soap, maybe 1 tbsp / half gallon of water. Put lid on, agitate for a few moments, rinse off with cold tap water.

Paint sticks perfectly once the pieces dry, out of the pot with no primer.

Roof pieces will take in water and need to have a small hole drilled in their underside to drain back out. Otherwise no problems.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:15 am

GODofwar wrote:
Oldent wrote:
GODofwar wrote:
Technical term in metal work is "quenching". Why not for this?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Good question I do not know. Tempering metal sets harness. Chilling thermoplastic sets shape. I am going to find out what the process is called if I can.
Just for reference (irrelevant to us Trogs) quenching metal also sets shape. Enough so that improper quenching can distort the shape!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
I could not find a reason you could not use the term quenching :?
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”