Poll on Washing Dwarvenite

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.

Do you wash your dwarvenite before painting it?

I wash every piece
22%
I have never washed a piece
67%
I have washed some pieces but not all of them.
11%

Total votes: 46

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Poll on Washing Dwarvenite

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 pm

Oldent wrote:
GODofwar wrote:
jchunick wrote:
They don't wash the pieces, but the pieces do end up in a water bath after they come out of the steel molds so that they can cool down quicker and more evenly. I don't know if there's a technical term for it, but just like you can do with ice water at home it also shocks the piece to stay in the position it's in.

Technical term in metal work is "quenching". Why not for this?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Good question I do not know. Tempering metal sets harness. Chilling thermoplastic sets shape. I am going to find out what the process is called if I can.
Just for reference (irrelevant to us Trogs) quenching metal also sets shape. Enough so that improper quenching can distort the shape!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:45 pm

GODofwar wrote:
jchunick wrote:
dice4hire wrote:I seriously doubt the factory washes the Df prior to painting. That would be a lot of work.
They don't wash the pieces, but the pieces do end up in a water bath after they come out of the steel molds so that they can cool down quicker and more evenly. I don't know if there's a technical term for it, but just like you can do with ice water at home it also shocks the piece to stay in the position it's in.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
Good question I do not know. Tempering metal sets harness. Chilling thermoplastic sets shape. I am going to find out what the process is called if I can.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:37 pm

jchunick wrote:
dice4hire wrote:I seriously doubt the factory washes the Df prior to painting. That would be a lot of work.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:11 am

Mold release is not the only reason to wash figures. Sometimes there is excess material that did not cure. This is the reason that primer often does not stick to resin.Would you drink the water bath from the factory. It probably has oil residue in it too.The only time I did not wash bones the primer was tacky. I am willing to bet they use a water bath too.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 am

Sometimes cleaning them might be necessary if they've gotten a lot of oil on them from too much touching since the natural oils from your hands can get on their surfaces. It's why police can lift fingerprints from things you've touched.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:59 am

I have not painted as much as I would like, but I have had a couple pieces that were being difficult. Once washed they took paint fine. It has only been a couple that needed it though, the others have not.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:30 pm

I never wash them. I read some place long ago that they do not use mold release like on resin, and that washing was unnecessary. I have never washed and my paint sticks well.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:06 pm

I seriously doubt the factory washes the Df prior to painting. That would be a lot of work.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Poll on Washing Dwarvenite

Post by kmj9907 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:50 pm

For those of us who paint our own, I'm curious how many people wash all their dwarvenite before painting. If you have comments about your process, or your experience with washing or not washing, I'd love to hear them. I plan to put up polls about priming and sealing as well.

Do we know if the factory painted pieces are washed prior to painting? Are the unpainted pieces washed before delivery?

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”