Painting: Primer Question

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Painting: Primer Question

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 am
Painting the new KS6.99 Hellscape Infernite (yellow translucent dwarvenite) is going to be tricky.
I don't think it will be too bad. For the non-lava parts I'd start with a very dark near-black gray and block in the areas, then add black wash and drybrush with a slightly lighter gray as desired. For the lava areas I might strongly consider using an ink wash instead of paints. Inks are more heavily pigmented (e.g. brighter, more vibrant color), flow more easily into recesses, and are more transparent than paint.

If you want to experiment with inks, Vallejo Game Inks are solid, workhorse products and not very expensive. Just remember inks are VERY pigmented, and you might have to thin them more than you are used to. Though for this application you might be able to use them straight.
We will be going painted but that feels like a good recipe.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:50 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 am
And don't forget about this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7134
I've used that on a bunch of my off color tiles. ;)
Getting low, so I might need more if CD isn't the same color PVC.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Painting the new KS6.99 Hellscape Infernite (yellow translucent dwarvenite) is going to be tricky.
I don't think it will be too bad. For the non-lava parts I'd start with a very dark near-black gray and block in the areas, then add black wash and drybrush with a slightly lighter gray as desired. For the lava areas I might strongly consider using an ink wash instead of paints. Inks are more heavily pigmented (e.g. brighter, more vibrant color), flow more easily into recesses, and are more transparent than paint.

If you want to experiment with inks, Vallejo Game Inks are solid, workhorse products and not very expensive. Just remember inks are VERY pigmented, and you might have to thin them more than you are used to. Though for this application you might be able to use them straight.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 am

And don't forget about this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7134

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am

astolat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 am
Gargs454 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:25 am
Oldent wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 am

Infinite :lol:

I discovered when painting the LED Necromancer crystal fist that you need to paint them while the are lit to know if you have good coverage.
The tracing table will help. I will get some shrink rap when I go to the grocery store. I may try some GW contrast paint too. I am glad the Infernite is yellow instead of clear.
Yeah I recently painted the eldritch monolith (or whatever its called) from the Eldritch Pools set. I had to keep lighting it up to see if I had enough coverage on it. The key was to just keep doing thin layers (especially on the parts you want to light up) and then checking with each new layer.
FWIW, I've found that Pokorny base grey has absolutely the best coverage (much better than black). Usually a single coat will do to black out any translucent areas you don't want to show, and then you can paint other colors on top of it.
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:48 am

Gargs454 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:25 am
Oldent wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Painting the new KS6.99 Hellscape Infernite (yellow translucent dwarvenite) is going to be tricky. Great shout Oldent on the Lightbox for painting (with added protection) - that should help immensely.

Washing never hurts :)
Its just more time consuming and results in more furballs.

I discovered when painting the LED Necromancer crystal fist that you need to paint them while the are lit to know if you have good coverage.
The tracing table will help. I will get some shrink rap when I go to the grocery store. I may try some GW contrast paint too. I am glad the Infernite is yellow instead of clear.
Yeah I recently painted the eldritch monolith (or whatever its called) from the Eldritch Pools set. I had to keep lighting it up to see if I had enough coverage on it. The key was to just keep doing thin layers (especially on the parts you want to light up) and then checking with each new layer.
FWIW, I've found that Pokorny base grey has absolutely the best coverage (much better than black). Usually a single coat will do to black out any translucent areas you don't want to show, and then you can paint other colors on top of it.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:25 am

Oldent wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Painting the new KS6.99 Hellscape Infernite (yellow translucent dwarvenite) is going to be tricky. Great shout Oldent on the Lightbox for painting (with added protection) - that should help immensely.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 am

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 am

One thing I did notice is that with my DoD pieces, the paint (Pokorny) will occasionally bead up on me with no washing/priming. Primarily happens with Red though which is a notoriously tricky beast (across all lines). I sometimes have a bit of tackiness on my pieces, but for purposes of a dungeon build, it's not a big deal to me. Paint is still firmly attached so doesn't bother me much.

If it were a mini for PC or NPC though I d be more annoyed.

All of which is to say that washing first certainly wouldn't hurt.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”