Storage of Dwarvenite

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Storage of Dwarvenite

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Thank you for the replies!

I've been using the IRIS storage units from Michaels/Jo-Anns and while they work great (and the removable plastic containers are great for travel), we're looking for something that fits into the room a little better (furniture).

I picked up a couple of Alex units, but haven't built them yet. I understand from other posts that it's a good idea to reinforce the bottom of the Alex drawers and am prepared to do so if needed.

At the same time, I've seen folks talking about the Home Depot Martha Stewart unit:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8152&start=30#p117866

I believe that was JasDotCom and Arravis (sorry if I messed up the names) and was curious to hear more about their experience now that some more time has passed.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm

I have six Ikea 6 drawer Alex drawer units (stacked 3W x 2H), and two wide 5 shelf flat metal map cases (stacked). Plus another half dozen 4-8 shelf plastic drawer units, and about 8 3L Sterilite tubs. Plus about 10 resin sets still in their custom boxes.

Would be nice if the storage was all the same, but my storage has grown as my collection has grown, and I've acquired it over the years from multiple sources, so it's a hodgepodge.

I keep hitting my local thrift stores for bargains. Found two large 6 drawer heavy plastic units yesterday (will be for my son's DF) for $4 each.

Unfortunately my hobby room is not growing at the rate of my DF/gaming collections... :shock:

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

3-Drawers, the stackable kind, stored on my 24" shelves/
This works pretty well; they are shallow enough to avoid the Tub problem, and because they pull out it avoids the can't - reach - the - back problem. bu they still don't showmuch of what's inside.

4-Map cases. Man, I've gone over to this big time. The drawers pull out - no problems with piece availablility. Everything is visible. And one drawer holds 2.5 plastic tubs.
When you say "map cases", do you mean large metal flat files? Or is there something else?

I assume the stackable drawers are plastic ones in plastic frames.

Nice to hear some opinions on various storage methods you have actually used.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:46 pm

William wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:25 am
Have you looked at the Container Store in Salt Lake? We have a few in the Seattle area.
I bet you could find a solution there if not in see thru plastic, definitely cardboard with labels.
Maybe something like 3 layers of 16"x11"x3" containers (6 per shelf), or something close to that.

https://www.containerstore.com/location ... ?store=SLC

Or the Pacaking Specialties out of Burley, ID?

http://www.mfgday.com/events/2014/packa ... s-of-idaho

Do a google search. There's also IKEA.
Second william.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storag ... id=cse:PLA

...is the generic type. I have small, medium and large, and use them on my 2' deep adjustable shelves. But most of my stuff I now put in map drawers - FAR superior - with the plastic drawers for special items and s ome resin (lakes and rivers).

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

ebrandeis wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm
Hi friends. Any updates on the HD storage unit? I haven't built my Alex units yet since I'm still on the fence about whether to return them and go with the HD MS unit.

Particularly wondering how well the deeper draws work for storage (what to use them for) and how sturdy the shelf bottoms are (do they need reinforcing like the Alex does).
E:

I've tried he following for DwF storage:

1-Open shelf with shelves adjustable every inch.
Problem: Dust - evrything gets coated.
I have deep shelves (24") and its hard to reach the back...or I end up making them 4-5 times as deep as needed.

2-Tubs, the plastic kind with hinged lids.
Problems: Unless you have a LOT of one piece, its hard to keep them in vertical stacks so all pieces are available. For resin, they bump around too much.

3-Drawers, the stackable kind, stored on my 24" shelves/
This works pretty well; they are shallow enough to avoid the Tub problem, and because they pull out it avoids the can't - reach - the - back problem. bu they still don't showmuch of what's inside.

4-Map cases. Man, I've gone over to this big time. The drawers pull out - no problems with piece availablility. Everything is visible. And one drawer holds 2.5 plastic tubs.

I still use drawers for resin - I can use old foam pads from plastic bubble packs to keep them from jostling. The drawers I have exacgtly fit a 4" resin piece on edge. But all the resin that fits better in map drawers (like narrow passages etc) I"ve moved tomap drawers.

I'm so hyped about them, I'm selling 2/3 my board wargames free up map drawers!

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi friends. Any updates on the HD storage unit? I haven't built my Alex units yet since I'm still on the fence about whether to return them and go with the HD MS unit.

Particularly wondering how well the deeper draws work for storage (what to use them for) and how sturdy the shelf bottoms are (do they need reinforcing like the Alex does).

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:00 pm

jasdotcom wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm
I just picked up my flat file unit at Home Depot but will need to postpone my findings: mine came unassembled :shock:
So did mine :P, you'll want help, its a 2-person job and can be damn heavy to move, but its well worth it in my opinion.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:40 am

I just discovered this, I think you may be interested... lots of possibilities...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ac ... f=recs_top

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:55 am

jasdotcom wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I just picked up my flat file unit at Home Depot but will need to postpone my findings: mine came unassembled :shock:
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. If it's not too much trouble, some example pics would be awesome!

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm

ebrandeis wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:48 am
Arravis wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 am
ebrandeis wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:43 pm
Do you find that the different drawer heights are all useful (2", 3.5", 5"), or is there a bunch of wasted space?

How much does this hold compared to the Ikea Alex (if you happen to know)?
I find the other drawers useful for other terrain stuff, I haven't started to put away my castle stuff, but I suspect its the perfect spot. The main drawers hold a ton of DF materials. What's not clear from the pictures is the massive depth of the drawers. They are as deep as they are wide. As far as the alex, I couldn't tell you unfortunately. I considered them, but the aesthetic is much nicer, for my tastes on this one than the ikea one.
Good point on the overall drawer size. Also, I suspect the 5" drawers will be great for some of the custom resin pieces I've picked up from eBay and Griffon Tamer. I could also store plastic organizers in those drawers containing all the small bits and bobs from the various campaigns.
jasdotcom wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:05 pm
ebrandeis wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:23 pm
I saw someone mention that they like a Martha Stewart storage unit from Home Depot because the drawers pull all the way out.
I *just* ordered one of these today, to be picked up at the store. I intend to bring a few pieces of different size, try them out, and send the item back if it doesn't fit my needs. I'll report back to this thread with my findings ;)