Storage of Dwarvenite

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Storage of Dwarvenite

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Need to start looking for some other options for castle storage... the walls are 4 inches tall. They won't stand on end in most of the containers many of us are using... Any suggestions or ideas?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 am

Very nicely organized! Great to see how different we all are in our storage needs and ideas!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 am
I used a mixture of cheap sterlite boxes - but for CBS these cannot be beat:
http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... age#p96661
Sterlite 1962 holds exactly 8 full roofs
The 8.5 x 11 Sterlite tub (1963) ends up 11x14 - i use these for all my caverns with boxes for each type of tile
For dungeons i use the IRIS 14x14 scrapbook cases (which wont fit in your cabinet - i use these cause they hold so many tiles - i have a lot more dungeons
The Sterlite looks absolutely perfect for CBS. For flat plates too (like cavernous river etc). However, that may require spacer pads for resin to avoid damaging some of the detail.

I use a mix of plastic stacking you can get at the Container Store, placed on commercial wood shelves so you don't stack too many - the weight of DwF would crush them stacked more than about 3 high, based on my experience.

The three pix show one of my DwF walls; one is a pic of a single shelf; and the third is three drawers open, showing storage of three different types of DwF
Attachments
DwF Stor Ind Drawer -20Ma17.JPG
DwF Stor Ind Drawer -20Ma17.JPG (49.86 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DwF Stor Dr Closeup-20Ma17.JPG
DwF Stor Dr Closeup-20Ma17.JPG (45.98 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DwF Stor Drawer Wall-20Ma17.JPG
DwF Stor Drawer Wall-20Ma17.JPG (55.41 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:38 am

unclebilly wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:37 pm
I just saw this video and was thinking it wont hold a lot of DF big stuff but would be great for the little pieces and parts. Also a good way to store miniatures. I could not find them on Ikea web sight but found some still on Ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjN6z3kVRM
Loved the video. Thanks for sharing! One day I hope to upgrade my storage to something more durable than what I have now (so not IKEA) but this gives me some great ideas for dungeon bits. :) Thanks!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:18 am

I prefer something smaller and more portable. I use the Creative Options Project box. The are small, lightweight, stack easy, but hold a lot. I prefer a smaller case that is one layer. It makes getting out what you want easier and nothing is buried under anything else.
Attachments
705-3_gray.png
705-3_gray.png (326.5 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:37 pm

I just saw this video and was thinking it wont hold a lot of DF big stuff but would be great for the little pieces and parts. Also a good way to store miniatures. I could not find them on Ikea web sight but found some still on Ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjN6z3kVRM

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 am
So I have some IKEA Hemnes bookshelves and I've been thinking of how to store my dwarvenite in them. Currently the pieces are in cardboard boxes and it looks terrible and doesn't fit correctly.

I've been thinking of Really Useful Products and their plastic bins. I know some of you use them, but I also know they are expensive.

Question 1: Is there a similar product that works just as well?
Question 2: If there is not a similar product that works just as well, which boxes should I choose to hold my KS1-4 (and likely 5) pieces in regards to space?

Each shelf is 32" long, 12" wide, and 10" tall. No outside box dimensions can be more than that. Truthfully, the 12" is super tight and I'd prefer it to be 11"-ish to make sure the door closes.
Lowes carries a line of "Harvey Lewis" storage bins that have no lids... They come in various colors and sizes... here is a link to one of them... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Harvey-Lewis-1 ... 1000146045
Some of the other sizes are at the bottom of the page under the "Customers Also Viewed" category.

edit: added this link to a general search of Harvey Lewis bins. Looks like they only have white and faux leather now. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... lewis+bins

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:25 pm

I can't say enough good things about Really Useful Boxes. Excellent stacking, very strong, great lids, square interior sides, lots of useful sizes. I get mine at Staples. Maybe a tad pricey, but worth it for my Dwarvenite!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Have you tried Home Depot? Full disclosure, I currently work at one... They have a pretty decent storage section in most locations with plastic bins that are see through and/or decorative. They also sometimes get in bins that are wooden. It would be worth a peek if you have one within reasonable distance. Sometimes they also have clear plastic shoe boxes that are less than a dollar.

Lastly, if you are genuinely unhappy with the look of plastic Rustoleum makes a number of spray paints that can coat it quickly with a textured metal or stone look. Then just hit them with sealant in your preferred gloss level. It can make plastic storage or furniture look much better for a fairly small price.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Oh, thanks. I won't go buy a bunch of those then. Too Bad the lids are too wide for their own furniture, that seems stupid. :?: I sure wish there was something like those IKEA boxes, but sturdier. Metal or plastic with (as you say) flat bottoms and square walls.
:idea: Dwarven Forge should do a KickStarter for storage boxes designed just for their pieces with maybe a few different widths and depth sizes. Maybe a bunch with 2.1/4" height and a few for the taller pieces. I'd guess there would be a few of us jumping in on that KS.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )