DF encounter maps for big groups

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: DF encounter maps for big groups

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

This is a great way to use the tiles, and gets players more involved. Awesome advice!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Someone on these forms once said that they describe a room and the players build it. I have yet to try this but i love it. Several advantages:

Takes work off the gm - always good

Prevents players from complaining that the terrain was set up to give the gm unfair advantage

Forces you to improve your descriptive skills

Gets everyone more involved

When i am GMing on a regular basis i am going to try this for routine encounters seems fun for everyone
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Posts like this make me happy. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 am

szabbran wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am
Thanks all for the great advice! I ran my first game with the tiles this weekend, and it was a big hit- the party loved it. Rather than building out a single large dungeon with multiple connected encounters, I built out individual rooms/series of rooms where a single encounter would take place, and swapped them out as the group progressed.
This is exactly how I use my tiles in our games, and it works well. Doesn't require a huge table and building things in advance and then hiding them.

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks all for the great advice! I ran my first game with the tiles this weekend, and it was a big hit- the party loved it. Rather than building out a single large dungeon with multiple connected encounters, I built out individual rooms/series of rooms where a single encounter would take place, and swapped them out as the group progressed. This gave me enough room to build out several 1'x1' or bigger rooms, and I just pulled pieces from previous encounters to fill in as needed. I didn't incorporate a ton of elevation into this first session, but did use a series of chokepoints and terrain obstacles. This approach really fit in perfectly with our normal theater of the mind games. I was particularly happy that the party didn't limit themselves to exactly what was represented with the tiles- they were still very much fleshing it out with the narrative the way we do when not using a map. It gave a visual reference (so that the group didn't have to remember my initial description of the environment over the 10+ minutes they waited for their turn to come around), and made it easier for them to follow enemy tactics (holding defensive positions to lead them into traps, flanking, etc).

Since I'm using mostly cavern tiles, one particular set I loved were the water cavern pack pieces. I painted up the stone but left the "water" area unpainted, and over the course of a few encounters these served as pit traps, trenches, shallow water and lakes. Super versatile and offered a lot of great options.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:57 am

biowizard wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:45 am
I've seen people making themselves a small raised table at the center of their gaming table. This way, people can put their cheetos, dices, character sheets, beer mugs on the main table and the DF setups on top of the smaller table.
A lazy susan is also very useful.I have a large one. It belonged to my mother. I put a cloth over it to cover the old fashioned decoration.I would paint it but it was my mother's and has sentimental value.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:45 am

First and foremost, Welcome!

I've seen people making themselves a small raised table at the center of their gaming table. This way, people can put their cheetos, dices, character sheets, beer mugs on the main table and the DF setups on top of the smaller table.
Last edited by biowizard on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:28 pm

There will be a lot of merit in the tray and new passage sets for more space.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:51 pm

You can also use the terrain to create spots that can create strategic advantages and weaknesses. This will help change the dynamic for how the space gets used. You mentioned elevations, using those to create a spot ranged attackers can use while melees defend them can create a cool scenario. Don't be afraid to use terrain to up the challenge a group of enemies poses either. If they have advantageous terrain it forces players to come up with tactics to compensate.

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi AnimeSensei- great suggestion. I'm not using a ton of scenery, but I think there are some ways I can consider moving things around or extracting when it matters to make the space more playable.

And definitely agreed about forcing space constraints- it's a great way to make combat more dynamic. I think with a party this size it's just that big rooms feel small, small rooms are impossible. Getting creative with that though (bridges, chokepoints, etc) is a good idea.