Bottomless Pit

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Bottomless Pit

Post by pacarat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:51 pm

William wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 pm
Ah, what about a smart phone underneath the floor.
I know those things a limited and only a few people have them.......wait a minute, everyone has one.
best use for an old / obsolete ipad or iphone

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Ah, what about a smart phone underneath the floor.
I know those things a limited and only a few people have them.......wait a minute, everyone has one.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Find a safe way to put your (least?) favorite device screen-up beneath the trap?

(This came up a while ago as a possible solution for scrying pools.)
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:42 pm

I would like to figure out how to put this image at the bottom of a DF forge trap

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 am

Darn it, AnimeSensei, now I want to build a coffee table!
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 pm

I used to put a black paper with the chasm set (resin) on the table.
One of my friends printed me a real photo but the problem is that it doesn't suit too well since you never know what will be the size of your pit.

I now personally use the real chasm set made the italian company Dungeonext.
Tom posted some photos here : http://www.dwarvenforge.info/compatible ... eonext.htm

You can also create a level and build yourself the pit with foam and few paints.
But I insist : it's more simple a dark paper. You dunno what's deep inside.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Sorry, that was a couple of computers ago.

dragonbones

Post by dragonbones » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 pm

jackattack wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:03 pm
If you were to map the protruding points and recessed corners/niches of the pit's edges, you could use your favorite graphics program (including Word) to create a top-down perspective of the pit's walls descending into darkness.

Put one end of a line at each point you mapped, with the other end extending toward the center of the pit. If you can make the line taper from thicker/heavier at the top/outside to thinner/lighter at the bottom/inside, so much the better. The lines should "radiate" inward, to more or less the same distance from the edge.

Use those lines to create polygon shapes. Color (or texture) them to shade from grey at the top/outside to black at the bottom/inside. Fill the center of your pit solid black.

If you have the skill and the patience, you can make squiggled lines, make photos fit into the polygons, add details like hanging vines or waterfalls, and so on.

The top-down perspective is, IMO, the best approach even though it probably won't look right from a low viewing angle. Any other perspective restricts the angle from which the pit can be viewed. (You know that amazing sidewalk art that looks like very realistic 3D perspective of holes or stairs going down into the sidewalk? It can only be viewed from one side -- what looks like a square picture from the south looks like a really long rectangle from the east or west, and everything is upside-down gibberish from the north.)

I did do this once with a rectangular pit in a dungeon floor. Forced a Roman frieze I found online into four trapezoids to define the walls, and used a stone texture from Word for the floor. I thought it came out pretty good.

Hope this is helpful.

Do you have a picture of that, very interested to see. thanks for all the replies everyone!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:08 pm

106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 pm

BTW, the easiest version of the process above is to use a circle or square shape with a hole in the center, then use a circular or rectangular shading option, and fill in the hole solid black. Print it, put it on the table, and build the pit around it.

Sorry, should have led with that.