SALE OF DWF: DO BOXES MATTER?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Re: SALE OF DWF: DO BOXES MATTER?

Post by Blue Prophet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am
I keep all my resin boxes stacked in the corner of my rather large attic - I do not plan on getting rid of them.

I bought a Cavernous Passageways Set on e-bay years ago without the box. Pieces arrived well wrapped in bubble wrap but still had three that were broken. I would never buy a set on e-bay again that didn't come in the original box.
Did you get a partial refund for those broken pieces from Ebay?

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 am

I keep all my resin boxes stacked in the corner of my rather large attic - I do not plan on getting rid of them.

I bought a Cavernous Passageways Set on e-bay years ago without the box. Pieces arrived well wrapped in bubble wrap but still had three that were broken. I would never buy a set on e-bay again that didn't come in the original box.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 am

Hi there, I stored my resin sets in their original boxes for a couple of years, and when the size of my collection made me stop using them in favor of new containers and drawer blocks, I kept them for years, afraid that I would miss them if I got rid of them.

I piled them in my personal basement below my block building (it's usual around here to have rows of rooms locked below the building, each one belonging to an apartment).

In the end, the space they took was too much, and the size of my collection made the idea of storing them again in those boxes unthinkable. I had to get rid of the nostalgia of those boxes for pragmatic reasons.

Many years ago I started throwing them away, and never missed them. Nowadays as soon as I recieve a resin set I torn it to little bits and throw them in a bag to the public recycler containers.

If someday I have to sell my resin it would be sad enough on it's own to be worried about getting a lower price for not having the boxes, and if I have to move, I think I will be better moving DF pieces in the new containers I use for them now. Much more optimization of storage space too. That's paramount to me.

So, to this day I have never regretted that decision, if it helps make a decision pal.

Greetings!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

I sold one for $10 on ebay before.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm

I have seen empty boxes on Ebay before, but do not remember the pricing.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:50 pm

I bought a Room & Passages set without a box, and the pieces were shipped wrapped in lots of bubblewrap all inside a right-size box, keeping them secure. Four of the passages arrived broken. :-(

Since then, I've bought a couple sets without the box (which arrived intact), but I definitely prefer those that do have the original box. I would pay more for those that come in the box -- maybe 10% or 20% higher.

One thing I've considered doing is recycling the styrofoam, and flattening the boxes for storage. That wouldn't help for packaging or relocating, but the boxes would store easily and you'd have the original boxes for sentimental reasons. In a hundred years, your great-grandchildren might appreciate it.

If you're willing to sell things online, you could probably sell the empty boxes pretty easily for a fair price. I'm sure there are people who have discarded (or never owned) the original boxes who would want them.

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 pm

I'd be hesitant to buy a resin set without the box. I'd buy resin singles with assurance that they'd be well packed.

As an aside, I'd estimate the cost of goods on the box and styrofoam to be at least $5, maybe more.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:21 pm

I typically can get more selling with a box. I typically will discount my offer a bit if there isn't a box.

As I ship a lot with these, having the box also helps to protect against damage, so while a local sale may not be as influenced by having a box, selling on the internet is a different matter.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm

AnimeSensei,

Out of curiosity wrt the resin. Is that a pricing statement (i.e., you price boxed resin higher) or a buying statement (i.e., hey, I will pay more if it comes with a box)?

Jimmy
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:20 pm

As someone who's sold a lot of DF, I find that resin does sell more with a box (typically around $10 more on average, the higher the value the set, the more the box helps as it evokes a "taken care of" mentality) and with dwarvenite it doesn't matter.