Cavern Questions

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Cavern Questions

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

In KSII the stretch goals were almost all variation.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 pm

I bought 4 sets of Caverns with original stretch goals on the secondary market for what I think was very close to cost (for some reason the seller couldn't move them much locally or on eBay). This is a lot of pieces. Maybe it equals 4 sets of regular plus 4 sets of variation?

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I suppose I can also go with the freestanding curved corners in a pinch as well, though will just see where I'm at when it comes time to place an order.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Just be sure to count the number of corners or specialty pieces you'll need. For instance, in the variety pack, you get 2x pizza shaped pieces that are GREAT for so many things. They can be an impromptu corner, make tunnels seem less on the grid, and make layouts more organic. I find I use at least 4 in each cavern set up I do with the Dwarvenite pieces because I love them so much. I'd try to keep them in groups of 4 with your order.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Hey thanks for the reply! I'm not entirely decided on the total number of sets that I will eventually want, but I was looking at getting about 4 sets initially due to budget constraints. Ultimately I figure I will want a minimum of 6 just to give myself enough room for some variety, just wasn't sure how usable the sets would be without the basic set. I realize they still have walls/corners etc. but obviously the base set is the place to get those in bulk. Getting a jump on things isn't a bad idea though. :)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Gargs454 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm
Okay, so with Caverns Basic set currently being out of stock (any word on when the restock will come?) any suggestions on whether it works to simply buy more of assorted/varied/free standing curve wall, etc. or should one just wait for the restock? FWIW, I am looking at about $250 to spend at the moment but will be going unpainted to further my money. Of course, if I wait, I might be able to spend a bit more. ;)
Do you know how many total sets you are planning to get? If so, then I would recommend you get 1 variation set for every 1-2 base cavern sets. So if you were going to get 6 total sets, then 2-3 of them should be the variation set. You could order and paint those first while waiting for the cavern restock. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of these are scheduled to be on the same boat as KS5.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Okay, so with Caverns Basic set currently being out of stock (any word on when the restock will come?) any suggestions on whether it works to simply buy more of assorted/varied/free standing curve wall, etc. or should one just wait for the restock? FWIW, I am looking at about $250 to spend at the moment but will be going unpainted to further my money. Of course, if I wait, I might be able to spend a bit more. ;)

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:00 am

Rhizom wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm
Wouldn't some more cake-piece-tiles from the narrow cavern set help you? I find that the shift from 90 degrees corners only to 45 degrees sometimes changes a lot and looks much more organic.
I use the wedges but as good as they are I still see the need for advanced builder cavern pieces and more sculpts to really add variety to caverns.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 am

Rhizom wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm
Wouldn't some more cake-piece-tiles from the narrow cavern set help you? I find that the shift from 90 degrees corners only to 45 degrees sometimes changes a lot and looks much more organic.
I cut a few of those 45 degree cavern passage pieces into about 22.5 degrees each. ;)

About four or five pictures down in this post-
viewtopic.php?p=90022#p90022
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:39 pm

i would purchase a cake tile pack if they were available separately (mmmmm.... dwarvenite cake!)

it is why i purchased narrow passage packs instead of wall supports (only to find out the color change later)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939