Cavern Questions

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Cavern Questions

Post by Alphyns » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:15 pm

That sounds like a nice variety -- I think you'll really like using the water tiles (while wishing for more variety with them). You'll really will want more basic pieces soon so I'd suggest springing for a second basic set if you can swing it. Doing it all at once may save a little on shipping.

Did you get the Burrows or we're you thinking of using cavern pieces to replace that alternate path in your DoD?

mnoelio
Kobold
Kobold

Post by mnoelio » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:16 pm

So I'm thinking Basic Cavern, Varied Walls and Floors, and then Cavern Floor Pack or Water Cavern Pack

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Besides Basic Cavern I'd say the Varied Walls and Floors set would be the next must have. It adds some break up to your walls, gives you a couple of "feature" tiles (stalagmites and rough terrain) and gives you two "pie wedge" pieces that you can use to tilt part of your map 45 degrees, which makes your caverns seem a little more natural.

After those two sets, I would either get Cavern Assortment or Narrow Cavern Passage packs. I can't overemphasize how much I like the 45 degree wedge pieces and their ability to really make your caves seem more like caves. The Cavern Assortment comes with 2 passages and another wedge, so you can link two caves with a tunnel (and turn it a bit), and also some other fun pieces like chasm bits (for a hole in the ground, or a cave side that falls into an abyss) and a cool stepped feature block (that can provide cover or elevation in your encounters), whereas the Passage pack is a great way to just get a bunch of passages and wedges to create a series of chambers connected via winding tunnels.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 pm

They have several good choices. I would go for a second basic set, either the Standard, Varied or even the Lava one, as all have a good amount of floors and walls. If you want, add a set of mushrooms and stalagmites on (though both will be a bit much for only two sets) and go to town. Welcome to the addiction!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

mnoelio
Kobold
Kobold

Cavern Questions

Post by mnoelio » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello,

I backed the Dungeon of Doom Kickstarter and that will be my first DF set. However, I'm itching to start using some DF and want to purchase some of the cavern sets. However, I have no idea which I need. The Dungeon of Doom was great as it showed me pictures of how exactly I could use the terrains, but I have no idea with the cavern ones.

Anyone have what cavern packages I should get besides the Basic Cavern Set? I just want to have either one large cavern room or a couple small ones

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!