Does City Builder(KS3) have a grid? and other questions

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Does City Builder(KS3) have a grid? and other questions

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm

Mostly with cities I just guesstimate squares from looking at the edges of the tiles.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't think the streets have a grid, but maybe I need to eat more carrots as well?

Streets are the same size as the city builder 4x4 blocks. I would just like to say the streets are BEAUTIFUL and help city layouts immensely.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Thwank
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thwank » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the info guys looks like there's a lot of good info in those threads, and it looks like the crenelations match up well to the KS1 dungeon walls in length from that picture thread animesensei posted, so maybe Ill just order some of those to start so i can make some buildings with that and KS5 pieces, since it looks like the streets unfortunately wouldn't match up with it as well?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:59 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am
The point being that unlike burrows there is no subtle grid on CBS, although as Lostpict states they are of a compatible size to dungeons and caverns (well nearly - gridgate).
There is a subtle grid, but perhaps bunny eyes are unable to discern it? ;) For the tudor floors, it's the nails. For the stone floors, it's the stones. The stone one is harder to see.
ok we missed it :( ..... sowwyy..... more carrots required
What about the streets, is there one 'in the stones' ?
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am
The point being that unlike burrows there is no subtle grid on CBS, although as Lostpict states they are of a compatible size to dungeons and caverns (well nearly - gridgate).
There is a subtle grid, but perhaps bunny eyes are unable to discern it? ;) For the tudor floors, it's the nails. For the stone floors, it's the stones. The stone one is harder to see.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am

Like Lostpict we use our CBS for wargaming and so a grid is not important and would be an artificial help when gauging distances.

But we have found no grid marking on the tiles either for building floors or streets, cant comment on sewers.
I am the Game and I want to Play

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:42 am

What Lostpict said, but I would like to add if you use a large amount of dungeons mixed with city builder, the size difference gets noticeable the larger the layout. I would suggest just keeping it in mind so you can make adjustments if necessary.

For instance, if you are making a large structure out of the dungeon line and want to surround it with city streets, the size difference may cause an issue. If it's something 6" or less, you can probably hide the gap easily.

It should also be noted that not all sets produced, or even pieces of the same set are all the same size due to the hand-sculpted nature of the product.

A good reference thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7592#p100576

Here's a good thread about the grid (with pics): viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6624&start=20#p85644
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

The City Builder tiles have a well defined 1.0" grid. This results in the grid being off-set from the grid in dungeons / caverns. If you search for "gridgate" you can learn lots about what that means in detail, but basically the floor tiles have a half-inch border around the perimeter and enclose a 3"x3" tic-tac-toe pattern grid. This means that at the entrances/exits the grid shifts when used with the dungeon / cavern tiles. Also of note is that the tiles are slightly larger than the dungeon / cavern tiles being nominally 4" square instead of 100mm and the overall height is a bit different. Personally, I love the CBS set (it is my favorite) and do not find the size or grid differences particularly challenging, but YMMV.

As to the interior size, my players have not had issues. Most of the buildings I create are larger than a single 4x4 tile. That said, I primarily use it for wargaming where what is more important is the miniature being inside or outside a building, not tactically maneuvering inside the building.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Thwank
Goblin
Goblin

Does City Builder(KS3) have a grid? and other questions

Post by Thwank » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

So while I'm eagerly awaiting my first DF to arrive from KS5 I keep looking at the past sets, particularly City Builder. The sets look really cool but I have some questions about it. Do the streets and inside of buildings have some type of 1" grid like the dungeons/caverns do (maybe a subtle one like burrows)? Or is it more for free movement of characters/using some other method to track movement? Also for those of you who have it and use it in games do you and your players find the inside of the buildings big enough? Or would you use dungeon pieces to make a larger inside space?

Also does anyone have pictures of using a smaller amount of KS3 pieces mixed in with mostly dungeon pieces? for example using the crenelations or roofs with dungeon walls? Lastly could I mix the streets with buildings made up of dungeon pieces or would the buildings need to be KS3 in order for them to fit well.

Thanks!