Reinforcing Ikea Alex drawers for DF storage?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
promind
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Reinforcing Ikea Alex drawers for DF storage?

Post by promind » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:31 am

Alphyns wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 am
Well, it took a while. To spread the costs out a bit I bought one or two Alex drawer sets at a time, built them, reinforced the drawers, and loaded them. Then repeated a paycheck or two later.

Finally, I finished. Five sets of drawers are mostly full and sorted. Dungeon (KS1 and DoD) x2, Cavern (with room for CD), cities, and castles x2. I was so happy. So proud. Then my wife walked in and asked,

"Did you plan for all the stuff in your office that you still have to paint?"

sigh.
Hahaha. Our better halves would be good friends :)

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:15 am

Ooops!

Alphyns
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphyns » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 am

Well, it took a while. To spread the costs out a bit I bought one or two Alex drawer sets at a time, built them, reinforced the drawers, and loaded them. Then repeated a paycheck or two later.

Finally, I finished. Five sets of drawers are mostly full and sorted. Dungeon (KS1 and DoD) x2, Cavern (with room for CD), cities, and castles x2. I was so happy. So proud. Then my wife walked in and asked,

"Did you plan for all the stuff in your office that you still have to paint?"

sigh.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:23 pm

My solution was simple. I'm too poor to need Alex drawers and only have 30 pounds of stuff! :lol:

Seriously though, these are great threads to keep in mind for when I do have the ability to get more stuff!

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm

szabbran wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm
Very good to know! Will plan to keep the casters on then. Good to know there's room for vertical growth... my wallet trembles at the possibility of filling more units. Appreciate the feedback.
With them on casters, you can then move them about and perhaps arrange for more. You know, if you had enough of those units, you could use them to support a large gaming table/surface. hmmmm. 8-)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

szabbran wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm
Very good to know! Will plan to keep the casters on then. Good to know there's room for vertical growth... my wallet trembles at the possibility of filling more units. Appreciate the feedback.
Happy to help. Fill those Alexes up!

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:32 pm

szabbran wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 pm
Found several great threads on this. I'm planning to reinforce side to side with the 7/16" x 1 1/14" stops, and may stick those wedges in as well if I can pick some up. I don't know that my collection will seriously overload, but I'm hoping these will last me at least through ks6.

My only reason for removing the casters was going to be out of concern that they couldn't handle the weight. Has anyone kept their alex units on casters without issue? If so, maybe I'll leave them on just to provide some clearance for the bottom drawer, I don't think they'll roll on my basement carpet though.
I stack mine two high, with casters on the bottom. No issues so far (~3 to 4 years now)

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Found several great threads on this. I'm planning to reinforce side to side with the 7/16" x 1 1/14" stops, and may stick those wedges in as well if I can pick some up. I don't know that my collection will seriously overload, but I'm hoping these will last me at least through ks6.

My only reason for removing the casters was going to be out of concern that they couldn't handle the weight. Has anyone kept their alex units on casters without issue? If so, maybe I'll leave them on just to provide some clearance for the bottom drawer, I don't think they'll roll on my basement carpet though.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:02 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm
If it's on carpet, you will need some kind of risers (1/2" maybe? Depends on the carpet) or the wood in the front under the bottom drawer will bend upward slightly due to the carpet pushing it up and make your bottom drawer harder to pull out and put back in. Experience talking here. :)
Yup! This is an absolute issue, especially for any carpet with much of a nap or length to it. Indoor/outdoor real short stuff might not matter that much.