Simplified adventures for kids

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Simplified adventures for kids

Post by kitenerd » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 am

Going to give Hero Kids a try with the twins (almost 7) picked up the Wardlings Minis to see if they would be a good fit...

these are really nicely painted for plasticrack
ranger.JPG
ranger.JPG (36.31 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
they are not the usual bendy mini plastic - these are more rigid - the lynx suffered a broken ear falling off the desk while i was taking a quick pick of the ranger
lynx.JPG
lynx.JPG (20.96 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
they aren't cheap ($8 for kid and critter) but they are nice - and who can resist spending money on kids ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm

If you go with the characters being kids, you might want to look into the Wardlings line of miniatures. Each kid figure also has a "pet" or "familiar" creature in the pack. Some of the sculpts are pretty good, some not so much. Any search should be able to find a shop that stocks them.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:10 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 am
In the latter case, there is nothing wrong with having their characters be kids as well, since they have a lot of experience with that already. Fun-style adventures ("Goblins have stolen all the pies for the Harvest Festival...track them to their cave and recover the pies!") can work well and the lighthearted themes can keep any nightmares away. For younger kids you can also tone down the violent aspects of the game, and encourage the players to find out what the Goblins really want, even more than the stolen pies, and negotiate with them.
Great ideas and things that I think Hero Kids does pretty well. All the premade characters are kids and the lore around the town they live in is that they are kids.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Every kid is different and will be effected differently and even effected differently just by what time of day it is. Many can hear stories about battle and being wounded but with no knowledge of what it really looks like their thoughts will never be close to nightmarish reality. Others may have watched a movie and now their imaginations are way to accurate. And either way one child will have no nightmares even when she should be scare of such things and another who you thought was not going to be effected adversely is terrified.

My eldest daughter was watching movies with out me that I did not want her to at the time (Jurassic park and such) but it is Gollum from the animated Hobbit that most frightened her, and still does.

My nephew back in the 80s was terrified by the villain from a care bear movie.

I know seeing Invasion of the body snatchers was a big mistake for me in the 70s having the monsters be people even family caused nightmare after nightmare for me.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am

w.r.t. to nightmares, you also have to be careful about asking loaded questions to young folks or priming them to have "bad dreams" by how one discusses the experience. One can also look to what level of conflict and how it is portrayed in other media the child watches (on the TV or computer).

Clearly a game modeled after a Quentin Tarantino over the top level of gore would be ridiculous for a 5 year old (many adults can't handle it either!). And a My Little Pony level might just be too simple. Many shows and programs have conflict and those get resolved in various ways. I am sure some kids had "nightmares" from Sesame Street episodes as well (Cookie Monster is going to eat all of MY cookies!!!)

I think a key thing is to keep things as abstract and removed from real life as possible at first, to make it clear beyond a doubt that this is all make believe and a game.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 am

Dealing with kids in games kind of depends on the individual kids' temperaments, and their ages. Some want to be big heroic figures, but some have trouble relating to that. In the latter case, there is nothing wrong with having their characters be kids as well, since they have a lot of experience with that already. Fun-style adventures ("Goblins have stolen all the pies for the Harvest Festival...track them to their cave and recover the pies!") can work well and the lighthearted themes can keep any nightmares away. For younger kids you can also tone down the violent aspects of the game, and encourage the players to find out what the Goblins really want, even more than the stolen pies, and negotiate with them.

Also, I think a good way to ease kids into the more violent aspects of gaming is to watch cheesy fantasy movies with them like the old "Sinbad" series from the 70s/80s; stop occasionally to ask questions like "Was it okay for Sinbad's men to fight the skeletons there? Why or why not?" or ""Do you think that there might have been another way to get around that monster without having to fight it?" That gets kids thinking about violence as more a last resort means to achieving a goal when all else fails, and not just a first answer to all situations for violence's own sake.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am

My son never had any nightmares from playing Hero Kids. I used a lot of traps and puzzles and not as many monsters and the monsters used were mostly rats or goblins or skeletons or tainted mushroom men that they had to restore. at this age, the Heroes ALWAYS win, right? :D

He only started getting nightmares/being afraid of the dark when we started in with the Harry potter movies :cry:

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 am

AnthonyPaulO wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 am
Thx for all the tips! I taught my son to add and subtract by adding hit points when healing/totaling damage and subtracting them during combat, so it’s been pretty educational so far. Do you have any issues with your kids getting nightmares? My wife is giving me a really hard time about this, saying it’s not age appropriate (he’s 5 1/2), but I don’t do anything gruesome, and i only use words like defeated or vanquished instead of kill... of course he’s getting nightmares since this is his first real exposure to monsters and traps and all that but I’m wondering whether I’m doing the right thing and if the nightmares are a symptom of it not being age appropriate after all. Any thoughts from you armchair psychologists?
Your kid will be fine either way. The REAL question is, who is getting up in the middle of the night to get him back to sleep when he has the nightmares, because that person is the one who gets to make the call! ;)

AnthonyPaulO

Post by AnthonyPaulO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 am

Thx for all the tips! I taught my son to add and subtract by adding hit points when healing/totaling damage and subtracting them during combat, so it’s been pretty educational so far. Do you have any issues with your kids getting nightmares? My wife is giving me a really hard time about this, saying it’s not age appropriate (he’s 5 1/2), but I don’t do anything gruesome, and i only use words like defeated or vanquished instead of kill... of course he’s getting nightmares since this is his first real exposure to monsters and traps and all that but I’m wondering whether I’m doing the right thing and if the nightmares are a symptom of it not being age appropriate after all. Any thoughts from you armchair psychologists?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:54 am

Some good stuff here :)

Have been gradually introducing the kids to DnD using simple D20 rolls, but gradually increasing the number of dice rolls.

Focussing on entertainment to keep them engaged, had so much fun with the last one using the Jade Shrine, lots of silly voices and infighting.

Still have problems with the DM being told what is going to happen.

'I unpick the lock and take all the treasure'
'no that's not how it works, roll a d20'.
'You are dropped into a pit of snakes'

Funny :lol:

will gradually introduce more DnD concepts then hopefully getting them into a full 5e adventure.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”