Terrain tray graphic alternatives?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Terrain tray graphic alternatives?

Post by GardenDM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Audles wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm
Totally. They were expensive! The builders have a new company doing the same thing that formed after it closed. A buddy of mine just got one.
Oh? I hadn't heard this. Are you comfortable sharing the name?

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm planning to use terrain trays for smaller, more internal environments - for larger environments I use Paizo's flip mats - definitely a good alternative.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Totally. They were expensive! The builders have a new company doing the same thing that formed after it closed. A buddy of mine just got one.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm

Audles wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm
This really good. Geek Chic before they closed? How much did that table set you back? Definitely want one when we get a house with a game room.
Yeah. Geek Chic before they closed. It cost ~10K. One of my players commented "I could buy a table like this, but then I'd have to live under it, because I couldn't pay my rent."

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm

patransom wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 am
This is a topic of great interest to me. My table is designed so that I usually do negative space on a large (entire table) scale. Specifically, I use a large format printing service to print big background textures. These go under a clear grid overlay and then under an acrylic layer. An example is in the picture below.

The water in that picture is this. Not free, but looks good on the large scale. Although not exactly along the lines of the terrain tray graphics, other background graphics I've printed are: grass, snow ruins, and moonscape

I spent a lot of searching for a good green ooze background and couldn't find anything I liked, so I just went with green bulletin board art paper (here). Much cheaper and still gets the job done, although something like the DF acid terrain tray texture would have looked cooler.

Construction paper also works for smaller negative space, but I'd be very interested if others have found good backgrounds and textures that can be printed for negative space (small or large scale).
This really good. Geek Chic before they closed? How much did that table set you back? Definitely want one when we get a house with a game room.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:16 am

So we went heavily in on terrain trays, because we want to use them for moats :)

But something we have only just realised this morning is that we can use them for canals too.

Been after canals for bloody years! everything is rivers with wonky banks!

Now before Oldent chimes in with 'Make it yourself' - that is true.
Or as others will point out use water tiles - that is also true.
Or even print the canal water and use negative space - which is also true too.

Neither option gives us exactly what we want, maximum modularity and flexibility.

For some Carrot brained reason we did not put 2 carrots and 2 turnips together and make vegetable soup.
Did not occur to us that the Holy Grail of canals is sitting in a brown battered box in our Game Room.

Many excited bunnies to try this out this weekend :D
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:55 am

This is a topic of great interest to me. My table is designed so that I usually do negative space on a large (entire table) scale. Specifically, I use a large format printing service to print big background textures. These go under a clear grid overlay and then under an acrylic layer. An example is in the picture below.

The water in that picture is this. Not free, but looks good on the large scale. Although not exactly along the lines of the terrain tray graphics, other background graphics I've printed are: grass, snow ruins, and moonscape

I spent a lot of searching for a good green ooze background and couldn't find anything I liked, so I just went with green bulletin board art paper (here). Much cheaper and still gets the job done, although something like the DF acid terrain tray texture would have looked cooler.

Construction paper also works for smaller negative space, but I'd be very interested if others have found good backgrounds and textures that can be printed for negative space (small or large scale).

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:13 pm

I've done a lot trying to solve this and honestly, the terrain trays are worth it. They're strong, thin, and look great. I bit the bullet on them and am super happy.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:33 pm

I skipped Terrain Trays during KS5, but since then, seeing how useful they are in KS6 for elevation building, and just in general how much I like negative space builds, I ended up picking some up from KS5 from the store. Can't wait to get them and give them a shot. 12x12 doesn't *seem* like it's that big, but looking at my elevation box yeah, that's quite a bit of table space.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Everyone loves the trays for different reasons - i am amazed they are still in stock!

I felt fortunate to get more - super utilitarian
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”