Terrain tray graphic alternatives?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Terrain tray graphic alternatives?

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:38 pm

I skipped terrain trays almost completely in KS5 because I do not plan to fly in my setups in room by room. But once KS6 showed them being used as a standard elevation tool, I became more interested in using them. I can and have used paper and cloth as negative space water, acid, lava and still will, but a combination of elevation options is always appealing to me and if they can also be used as negative space stuff I will use them.

But printed out paper does give thousands of options.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:30 am

Heavy construction paper in various colors works fine as well, and can be airbrushed or hit with a rattlecan of paint to make more interesting. It's easy to mark in a grid if you want such, too.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:37 pm

lots of good graphics online that you can print out - someone smarter than me will remember the right keywords, but you are looking for seamless repeating textures or some such and you'll get all sorts that you can just stamp and repeat and then print out

i bought a bunch of terrain trays to use as... trays! - also ordered a bunch of magnets! I am going to magnetize everything as needed - it is just far too convenient

I am sold on building in sections and flying them in. This works great for me as we play on the dining room table and i cannot leave stuff set up. Adventure as far as we can - pop everything back into 7L Really Useful Boxes and pull them out a week later!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Khail
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Khail » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:16 pm

I ended up doing the same thing after spending quite a bit of time online looking for textures to use as an alternative. Nothing I found looked as good.

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Interesting, I'll check it out. Or I'll just give in and get some DF terrain trays. :)

Update: I ordered some terrain trays to use for negative spaces, 1 multi pack of each, acid, water and lava.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:51 pm

AstroCat wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:41 pm
I don't really need the magnetic metal terrain trays since I set everything up on the table. But I love the negative space imagery.

What are people printing or using in this case?

Thanks!
fabric swatches from Joann Fabrics

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Terrain tray graphic alternatives?

Post by AstroCat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't really need the magnetic metal terrain trays since I set everything up on the table. But I love the negative space imagery.

What are people printing or using in this case?

Thanks!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”