Opinions: Sewer - How Much is Enough?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Opinions: Sewer - How Much is Enough?

Post by GODofwar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Tenbears wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm
So I'm looking to pick up some of the Sewer related items on the website (or sub-packs). I occasionly will use it for delving into sewer related adventure areas but I will probably be using it a LOT for building foundations around moats, water, etc. That being said I want to balance it with the City Builder System and Castle Builder amounts that I currently have.

I have an empire pledge worth of City builder with a couple building add-ons, a couple imperial streets (needed a bit more of this), and I have a Royal Stronghold castle pledge that I plan on expanding some of the wall lengths. I see a lot of you using sewers as elevation blocks and I am really impressed with it.

So - all this being said how much do you guys think (and what sets like monster sets etc) should I pick up?

TenBears
I got a monster plus some add-ons. I have a recommendation:

1. Get one Monster sewer and a few add-ons if you see a need.
2. Gridmap your Sewer under the city.
3. Once your PC get into the sewer, only lay out as much sewer as their torches allow them to see...and pull it up behind them. This forces them to MAP or get lost. Which is nice because....
4. you are going to use the infinite flexibility a Rolling Build gives you (qv #3 above) to build really twisty sewers. Add some slopes - rememver a sewer must be sloped or it won't work. and you can even get waterfalls and pools where the sewer builders used existing caverns to get to a river or the sea.
5. Go to your tile store and look for tiles that are curved. I found 2x2 blue tiles with nice curved sides and flat bottoms. The curve works well as a sewer and gives you some 'different' sewers cheap...I use these for sewers run to the poorer parts of town (maybe by the local residents, without town permission!) - so they aren't as nice, no sidewalks, now walls, just a curved, low top that forces pc to kneel or bend over in the muck....

The only drawback is that you need a decent map of the city above and any dungeons below. Then put those in plastic and draw sewers with alcohol pens (so they don't smear).

This will cut your sewer cost immensely...and add to the fun of play. I turn down the lights when PC get into the sewers, maybe even use only a candle on the table. Background noise: Gurgling water from our Sonos speakers!
Maybe the occasional squeak of a RBR (no, NOT a 'Rabbit Burner Replay', a Reaaly Big Rat!)

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 am

I originally got 2 monster sewer sets and I was always feeling like I needed another wall pack so I ordered a Sewer Wall Add-On Pack. We'll see how that feels for the encounter builds I'm doing. I don't mind doing some normal dungeon supplementing for my sewers. I think 3 would probably overall be the sweet spot so I might end up getting up to the equivalent of 3 through addons at some point.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:10 am

I am just waiting for the 2 sets I had on preorder to arrive and will then reassess.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I am going to say four is the perfect number of monster sewer sets, for no other reason than to help DF sell more Dwarvenite. ;)

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 pm

I have one set now and am waiting for two from the pre-order, so I'm glad so many people are saying three!
That said, the first time I used my one sewer set, I was able to supplement with regular dungeon tiles. Not as cohesive as I would have liked (thus the pre-order), but it worked.

Sewer.jpg
Sewer.jpg (54.97 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Since Ive joined the forums I have been eyeing the sewers up. I tend to use DF the same way Garden - small builds, using a fair mix of sets. From a build perspective though the Monster sewers come with just 2 corners, so if you are planning any sort of "involved" sewer set-up 2-3 sets would be handy. I suppose this is true of most sets of DF.

These forums are dangerous grounds for my wallet :o

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I have three and I think that is enough. I can make a really big area at once.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I have one Monster Sewer. From a storage perspective, it's just about the right amount. From a build perspective, it's great for small-medium sized specialty builds (mostly how I use DF anyway), but falls short to fully represent a whole sewer at once.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

As has been said, three seems to be the sweet spot. I have two and have not been able to build quite the layout I want each time I use them. I have a third on pre-order :D
Last edited by Harneloot on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:59 pm

That was a serious amount of Sewer kits. 2 is probably a decent starting point, but 3 will give you more flexibility. Of course that also depends on how you plan to use it. Just build a small location where the encounter happens or laying out the whole sewer complex to be explored at the PC's whims.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”