Trouble matching terrain to published maps...

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
realarete
Orc
Orc

Re: Trouble matching terrain to published maps...

Post by realarete » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 pm
I used to be annoyed with the half square, but now I embrace them as dedicated decoration space. You can shove book cases and barrels and crates and whatever in those half spaces and they don't intrude on the rest of the room.

It also is some extra space around the minis when you have an encounter - a bit more room to place them in while not really having a the "theoretical grid space" ( ignoring the half square so to speak). The arms and weapons don't hit the walls etc as easily as compared to the full square being right next to the wall. There are some advantages that can be had, although building a map to the specs of a module isn't very easy on any lvl! That said, yours looks like it turned out pretty nice!

And ForestZ has a very good point, you can dress those half squares with furnishings and it doesn't take away from the battle grid encounter area. A nice benefit to the half squares.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:15 pm

I used to be annoyed with the half square, but now I embrace them as dedicated decoration space. You can shove book cases and barrels and crates and whatever in those half spaces and they don't intrude on the rest of the room.

Also, real world walls take up real world space, and if you're playing on a grid, those walls gotta go somewhere. OpenLock style builds (a la Rampage) introduce "half squares" in other areas, usually room transitions, in order to handle the wall being off grid (unless both adjacent rooms have their own walls, thus making your walls twice as thick).

Morgrim66
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Morgrim66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm
without the half squares no to adjacent rooms could share a common wall - and your build would get much more complicated

i ignore the half square - i think of it as fat finger space for me to reach minis ;)
Interesting, ok.
"...and that's why it says, 'I taste terrible' on my shield in draconic."

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm

without the half squares no to adjacent rooms could share a common wall - and your build would get much more complicated

i ignore the half square - i think of it as fat finger space for me to reach minis ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Morgrim66
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Morgrim66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm
what you did looks awesome to play through, but i think you made it a little too hard on yourself
Yeah, all the BS aside, the players had fun with it, but some of the battles were jacked due to the choke point issue, but since my party is a bit strong for these monsters, it made the battles a bit more interesting that they could not all get in to the rooms to fight at the same time.

Morgrim66
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Morgrim66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm
Yes to both the above responses. I *redraw* the module maps (when I use them) as I lay them out with my Dwarven Forge Terrain. Its never exact but always works. Kitenerd has given some really good specific advice. Another thing I will say is I don't even count the half square next to the walls as a square at all when building rooms of any certain dimension.
Yeah what is the deal with those wall-partial floor combo pieces? In what universe do those ever measure out properly? Made me somewhat disappointed that Rampage came out this year rather than last. They really upset me when making builds. Especially when you try to put the new 2x2 floor+wall with tab next to a vaulted wall piece
and end up with a wall that is set back a 1/4 inch. I guess its good I have a billion if those corner columns to fill in the space.

I have also come to the conclusion that building while playing = REALLY slow game. I have decided that when my players enter a dungeon or cavern mid-session unless I have something small pre-built on a tray or elevation box, I am just going to draw on the battle mat like i always have, and then build up the rest of the dungeon between sessions.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Yes to both the above responses. I *redraw* the module maps (when I use them) as I lay them out with my Dwarven Forge Terrain. Its never exact but always works. Kitenerd has given some really good specific advice. Another thing I will say is I don't even count the half square next to the walls as a square at all when building rooms of any certain dimension.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm

i always dumb down maps when recreating

first - if none of the load bearing walls, chimneys and eccentricities of architecture are relevant to the adventure - ignore them - they are cool to draw and add visual detail to a map, but the muddy the waters of 3d terrain with needless complexity

then - this is essentially three boxes - the right half, the top bar and the lower left (you can split the right half into top and bottom as they don't connect) - build each of those first (start with smallest and expand larger sections to align with the footprint) then the crevass section in the middle can be stretched and widened to make all the boxes play nice with each other

You can always go bigger - maps tend to be skinny and combat in choke points is a PITA (one that you plan for is great, a whole series of them is tedious for all but the front player) - everything gets easier when you add 5-10 feet to the room/layout

what you did looks awesome to play through, but i think you made it a little too hard on yourself
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, I've found when converting official maps, getting the spirit of the map right is more important than getting it exactly the same as it's drawn.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Yup its always been a challenge to recreated published maps with 3d terrain. You quickly learn to decide what shortcuts/compromises to make rather than aim for strict adherence to the map, unless you want to spend hours on it.

Though your particular 5' corridors observation I think have been getting easier with the DoD wall & tab system.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”