Advice sought: Apple Barrel and FolkArt paint

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Advice sought: Apple Barrel and FolkArt paint

Post by Trollface » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm

I have used apple barrel et al for terrain, including DF and gotten good results. For large bones pieces and sometimes dwarvenite, I use folk art glass and tile medium mixed with the base coat for the first coat. It makes a great primer for hydrophobic plastics.

As far as recipes, there is a fantastic android phone app called "Paint Rack" which has all the sku's for all the hobby brands of paints. It allows me to keep track of all my paints and store the sets I am using for individual pieces. It takes up a lot less space than a binder, but can be erased with a factory reset of your phone :oops:
So do keep a backup.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 am

Some fabulous ideas here :)

Clearly we are not as advanced painters as most here, we just use colours out of the pot (thinned of course) but no mixing for any large batches of colours, uniforms, walls etc.

The only mixing we do is on things like flesh and power/magical swords then its more blending.
These things are such that is not at all vital that the mix ratio of the colours is the same, in fact with flesh it is better that there are some differences.

Given that we paint armies we started using established paint schemes so we just follow online instructions so its easy to reproduce the paint job for any units you add later.
We have a more bespoke paintjob on our Necrons but again there is no mixing but we have a word doc recording what colours are used for what features. It can be vital to get the correct basecoat colour to glaze over to achieve a constant effect across the entire army.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:48 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 pm

This is a great idea! I would say a simple and obvious solution but alas, one that has eluded me. So apparently it’s above my level of creativity and problem solving. But at least I am clever enough to check the forums for good ideas!
Thanks MrMorden!!
Creativity and problem solving can be enhanced with practice and training beyond our natural talents. A place like this is fantastic for inspiration to help you discover more ways to think about and look at problems and solutions. At work earlier today a younger guy I work with declared that I'm a genius after I quickly and simply solved several problems that had stymied out supervisor back to back. I told him I'm not a genius at all, just experience and practice at work. The more ways you stretch that "muscle", the more it will let you "lift".

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:26 am
If you want to store your color recipes easily, just go to Office Depot and get a 1" thick three ring binder, some clear index card binder sleeves, and index cards. On a card put a large dab/stroke of the paint, and the recipe like so:

1 part Vallejo Model Color British Uniform
1 part Vallejo Game Color Hexed Lichen
Thinned with Vallejo Matte Medium

Put those in the sleeves and now you have a book with all your colors, visible and several colors per page.
This is a great idea! I would say a simple and obvious solution but alas, one that has eluded me. So apparently it’s above my level of creativity and problem solving. But at least I am clever enough to check the forums for good ideas!
Thanks MrMorden!!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 am

marcoreds wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:10 am
Just one thing I may add.
As acrilic cheap paints, I have some Americana.
They do work well for brush painting and drybrushing.

They suck with an airbrush.
Probably the pigments are too big, so the nozzle keeps getting stuck (yes, I do thin the colors a lot).
For airbrushing I prefer to stick to Valleyo Air, ot at worst model color thinned.
I never tried Pokorny with airbrushing to be complete.
I have been considering getting a decent starter airbrush and starting to use it. There is a local hobby store with very helpful staff that has recommended one to me. I have heard that many paints can be a problem for them and that you're best off with ones formulated for the airbrush.

tort518
Goblin
Goblin

Post by tort518 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Lots of great information here. Thanks everyone.

I’m hoping to save funds to get the Pokorny paint needed to match KS1. I have 5 unpainted plus stretch goals that I didn’t get around to painting. I also have the same painted amount which is why I would like most to match. A small amount will likely be customized.

Anyone have tips for doing sandstone?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:26 am

If you want to store your color recipes easily, just go to Office Depot and get a 1" thick three ring binder, some clear index card binder sleeves, and index cards. On a card put a large dab/stroke of the paint, and the recipe like so:

1 part Vallejo Model Color British Uniform
1 part Vallejo Game Color Hexed Lichen
Thinned with Vallejo Matte Medium

Put those in the sleeves and now you have a book with all your colors, visible and several colors per page.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:46 pm

pacarat wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 am
\
a) I forget to do it
or
b) Don’t remember where I put the card
A) - this is definitely a problem for me - i get so busy painting that i am not recording

B) - i bought a notebook especially for this (i have a friend who is a bookmaker, so it is a fetish object too...) so that means it is all in one place chronologically
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 am
pacarat wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I would hate to try to match custom colors months or years later...
I keep a book with a blob of color and the mix ratio (8 drops of this, 3 drops of that, 1 drop of...) this is a great starting place when you have to go back later - or if, like me, you often work on a mini for a couple of nights and then don't get back to painting for a few months

I believe this idea came from Lady Sabelle or someone smart like her - i steal all my best jokes and techniques ;)
I have done similar in the past, but sometimes:

a) I forget to do it
or
b) Don’t remember where I put the card

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:10 am

Just one thing I may add.
As acrilic cheap paints, I have some Americana.
They do work well for brush painting and drybrushing.

They suck with an airbrush.
Probably the pigments are too big, so the nozzle keeps getting stuck (yes, I do thin the colors a lot).
For airbrushing I prefer to stick to Valleyo Air, ot at worst model color thinned.
I never tried Pokorny with airbrushing to be complete.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”