Miniatures and accesories

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Miniatures and accesories

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Wow! Nice assessment, JackAttack.

Just to be clear, I was not dissing DF for lack of accessories. They have limited time and resources just like anyone else. Single run products don't make sense. I don't expect them to ever make trees and hedges (I hope they do). Everything they make is excellent! But until they do make those things, I would like to get something that will work with my DF tiles. Fat Dragon has a whole line of patterns for printing and making cardstock buildings, furnishings, markets, trees, bridges, etc... They work in a pinch and actually look pretty good. I know many want some of those things and I saw that kickstarter, so I thought I would mention it.

Isn't the pledge manager coming out soon? Then we will know what surprises they have in store for us in the wicked city pack! Will there be more surprises?

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 pm

I love DF and have been buying it since it was first available in FLGS, then mail order, and now the KS. But at least half I bought on the second hand market due to the inventory issues. In fact, if SF Alpha, Beta, or Gamma; resin Caverns, Rivers or Lakes; or Dwarvenite or resin minis were available in the store at present, I would place a post KS3 order of substantial size. I also find myself planning the bulk of my order (beyond the Empire) based on my guess of the 2016 inventory situation. That makes it somewhat challenging for new customers to come in any time but during the annual KS. Not complaining, just observing. Maybe this KS will generate enough funds to change the long term inventory challenge.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:50 pm

A lot of great and thoughtful comments in this thread. I'll keep mine short and sweet.
I love DF minis. I love DF accessories. (especially in dwarvenite) I will buy them. All of them. Keep them coming! :twisted:
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Always good to read your clear headed analysis jackattack - sobering as it may be

anything i could add would be me saying how i think the world should run... and i can only control the few measly dollars i spend so i will leave it as "I hope that DF continues to produce what makes them happy and that those products are available as long as possible to as many customers as possible whether in lump sum through KS or one piece at a time through the webstore."
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:17 pm

In 2009, DF held a practical monopoly on modular indoor terrain -- practically no one else was making it. Today, DF still dominates the market despite the existence of several companies making rival products.

The miniatures market is saturated or even glutted. There are various limits on market share, including medium and scale. And successful miniatures companies seem to have a wide and large inventory, or the means to produce stock on demand -- neither of which DF is set up for.

In addition, every miniature DF might produce takes the place of modular indoor terrain. That's development and production not spent in the market they dominate, and space in the shipping container and the fulfillment center that doesn't carry part of a restock.

As for accessories, the demand has grown because the number of people who own modular indoor terrain has grown. However, that market may be largely represented by DF's own customer base, which seems (based on backer numbers from 3 KSes) to have topped out. There are also considerations of whether that customer base comprises skirmish gamers who want clear floorspace (few accessories), or scenery artists who want to create elaborate display pieces (many accessories).

Many of the accessories we seem to be interested in are available elsewhere, which puts DF in the position of creating redundant products whose unique value seems to be "matching" the modular indoor terrain (does a wooden chair ever actually "match" stone walls and floor?) or one-stop shopping (which, given DF's longstanding inventory issues, may not be possible).

Slow sales of dwarvenite products from the online store may be due to a lack of advertising and customer awareness. It may be a pricing issue. But it may also be that demand is almost fully satisfied by the KSes themselves. If that is the case, then DF may need to change their business model.

Part of that change may be expansion into miniatures and accessories. But if that is the case we may be looking at one-time production runs, with the online store's inventory limited to "overruns" brought in to fill space in the shipping containers.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:30 pm

I backed so I can get some market stalls and other misc small things.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:03 am

If they add an accessories only pledge it might be worth looking at, but I don't need their buildings right now. :|

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:28 am

Here is a kickstarter that has city decor and stuff (like hedges, trees, market stalls, carts, etc...). At the moment all their pledge levels include buildings... I just sent a note to the creators asking if they would consider adding an accessories only pledge level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -and-aides

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:36 pm

kitenerd wrote:
jchunick wrote:One other thing that's very exciting for the future is that DF really understands that there are people like me who are modifying pieces and they wholly embrace that. In KS3 they have taken it to the next level by recruiting active members like myself, Elye and Lady Sabelle to help expand their offerings. That's almost unheard of in any industry and I very much think people need to understand how much of a paradigm shift that is.
I find it magically appropriate that DF has done this. Kickstarter democratized the financing of business and DF has taken it to the next level by democratizing the creation of product as well. It bodes well for an amazing future!
I love it as well. There is no better way to foster unity than having fellow people "in the trenches" elevated and rooting for your friends to succeed.

Bravo, DF!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:14 am

jchunick wrote:One other thing that's very exciting for the future is that DF really understands that there are people like me who are modifying pieces and they wholly embrace that. In KS3 they have taken it to the next level by recruiting active members like myself, Elye and Lady Sabelle to help expand their offerings. That's almost unheard of in any industry and I very much think people need to understand how much of a paradigm shift that is.
I find it magically appropriate that DF has done this. Kickstarter democratized the financing of business and DF has taken it to the next level by democratizing the creation of product as well. It bodes well for an amazing future!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939