Miniatures and accesories

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Miniatures and accesories

Post by jchunick » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:03 am

Saintmac99 wrote:Although I think DF could and would rock at making minis, I think that their focus on terrain is where its at. I mean, why take on all the trouble of sculpting unique minis, casting, painting, packaging....not worth the cost don't you think? Personally, I would rather they focus on creating new accessories.
This doesn't make much sense to me. Here's why:
Yes, DF is mainly in the business of selling terrain. However, that terrain needs to be populated with stuff. Who better to provide that other stuff than DF? Stuff can not only be accessories but also denizens that fit perfectly with that terrain. I also know (from personal experience) that DF gets other artists who are skilled in their particular fields to create those pieces, whether it be miniatures (Sandra Garrity is one of the artists), Elye Alexander from Griffin Tamer Studios, Lady Sabelle for accessories, or myself for the LED pieces. This allows Stefan to focus on what he knows best - designing terrain.

There's another important factor, now, especially with the Kickstarters - many new people have been introduced to DF terrain. A lot of those people are in the same boat as I was in KS1; I now had all this terrain, but really nothing to populate it with so I began searching everywhere else for pieces to poputate my terrain with. If DF had offered a greater selection of dwarvenite pieces to do that with then I would have mainly kept my purchasing with DF. This also would have the added benefit of keeping my shipping costs down, too.

This whole idea of creating more accessories and miniatures is something I've brought up before in the forums so I'm 100% behind their decision to do it.

One other thing that's very exciting for the future is that DF really understands that there are people like me who are modifying pieces and they wholly embrace that. In KS3 they have taken it to the next level by recruiting active members like myself, Elye and Lady Sabelle to help expand their offerings. That's almost unheard of in any industry and I very much think people need to understand how much of a paradigm shift that is.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Law wrote:Man, RabidFox. Haven't thought about that dude in years. Boy, those were some fun, controversial days here. ;)
I find some of the old threads to be quite helpful and filled with fun ideas. But I admit the number of broken links or missing photos can be sad. Lots of lost stuff in the older threads.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Man, RabidFox. Haven't thought about that dude in years. Boy, those were some fun, controversial days here. ;)

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:45 pm

RabidFox* wrote: ... or get themselves a sugar daddy/mommy/baby.
Then, let them explore all of the wild frontiers.
Sorry for the 7 year necro here, but when I was reading old threads this line just jumped out at me.

Is Kick Starter DF's "sugar daddy/mommy/baby" that RabidFox suggested they find in order to explore the "wild frontiers"? :D

Just thought it was interesting. I mean they could not have known about the success DF would have with Kick Starter back in '09. Cool how the world turns out. :mrgreen:

Saintmac99
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Saintmac99 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:14 pm

Although I think DF could and would rock at making minis, I think that their focus on terrain is where its at. I mean, why take on all the trouble of sculpting unique minis, casting, painting, packaging....not worth the cost don't you think? Personally, I would rather they focus on creating new accessories.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:44 pm

I agree - there would be no way to compete with WoTC cheap painted plastic minis.

RabidFox*
Ogre
Ogre

Post by RabidFox* » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Here, here, for the level heads that have spoken.
Let DF do what they do best until they are at least a medium scale company or get themselves a sugar daddy/mommy/baby.
Then, let them explore all of the wild frontiers.

David Wasilewski
Orc
Orc

Post by David Wasilewski » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:28 am

I agree with Jim that terrain, rather than figures is what Stefan sculpts best. If I want figures I buy Reaper or GamesWorkshop. I suspect it would be hard to compete with the 'Big Boys?'

Dave

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Guys (and ladies, if any are nuts enough to hang out here with us);

DF makes EXCELLENT gaming terrain, currently underground and MBS. They are considering furniture and similar accessories for their lines of scenery.

DO NOT ask them to branch out further, into figures! The competition, be it painted or unpainted, is SO FIERCE that it will hazard the entire DF company! That's why DF STOPPED making figures.

DF has a niche market here, making and selling QUALITY terrain, and MAY branch into furniture and accessories to go along with it. Jeff and Stefan are NOT going to get back into figures; they have learned, the hard way, not to compete in that arena.

DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR; stick with what DF can continue to give us.

Sorry about the shouting, but I had to get everyone's attention.

See ya!

Jim

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:12 pm

It's not just the extra personnel (or additional pay for existing personnel who have more to do), it's also warehousing, and packaging/branding, and shipping from the manufacturer to DF and then shipping from DF to the customer. While it might be convenient for us, it would be highly ineffficient and possibly quite expensive for DF.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch