Modular Tower

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:17 pm

Crioux,

Looks great! For color match: Add more yellow for the stone color, and every occaisonal brick should be solid light brownish...the lighter and more yellowish drybrushing afterward will unite the two stone colors together...

the nice thing about this is that you can use it as part of the Mastermaze dungeon or as a freestanding outdoor tower, or attached to a castle...

Thanks for the color tips, I will try.

If you make a tower, there is the option of making halves, instead of quarters. A little less modular, but a lot more stable when stacking, never need to use the central pillar.

As for castles walls and interiors, I have some ideas too, I'll see if I can make the time to make some prototypes.

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Modular Tower

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:14 pm

You can tell when you have used to much HA, as you read/listen to the debates of which is better Resin, Plaster, Hydrostone, Hydrocol, Dental et an take a keen intrest in it.
I love Resin, but my gosh is it expensive. So far i have used it for mostly stuff i have made the molds myself. I have as of yet (other than the clear resin) not used it in a HA mold, I am tempted oh so tempted to though on many an occasion... Becuase yeah you can crank the casting in minutes as compaired to the hours to do a plaster/cement cast.

I am about out of the last batch of resin and Hydrostone i bought back in January, mainly do to switching to a cheaper and i think better resin, than what i was using. It's less viscous, but comes out very nice, just wasn't used to the mix by weight, as compaired to volumn, and well lets say i need a bettr scale than what i was using to start with becuase there were some really messy un cured product to clean up 1 and one that looked fine for a few days then did some REALLY strange things...., once i got the mix down (remember read directions first....) i like the stuff a lot. I must order more once my job situation levels out.

Got to say i like these and ugh it makes me want to get more HA... or have DF get it out now... but i want more Sci-fi first...

oh well great look.

Ghostmage
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by Ghostmage » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Great work here, Crioux!

I love the idea of the separate Wizard's Tower or as part of a more elaborate Castle set-up. Either way Stefan may go with this, I can't wait for the DF version to be released! As always, I'm quietly waiting in the bushes to pounce on the newest pre-order.

~Cheers

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Modular Tower

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Crioux,

Looks great! For color match: Add more yellow for the stone color, and every occaisonal brick should be solid light brownish...the lighter and more yellowish drybrushing afterward will unite the two stone colors together...

I don't think we would need to produce so many different pieces for a Tower set...or it will drive up the production cost too much...but for your purpose it's great isn't it? more pieces the better......probably, we would do a basic tower set + a sort of wicked edition add on and perhaps several sorts of roofs...+ castle walls of course, and a Gatehouse naturally, with the required murder holes etc...

the nice thing about this is that you can use it as part of the Mastermaze dungeon or as a freestanding outdoor tower, or attached to a castle...

Your getting ahead of us Crioux!

Fine work;)

Kradlo
Minotaur
Minotaur

Modular Tower

Post by Kradlo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:10 am

It looks great, Crioux! As for getting the paints to match, Stefan gave a nice tutorial on that. That's a real help to me when basing minis to match the Dwarven Forge floors for dungeon or cavern.
Make Mine Master Maze!

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am

Finally, I had some time to (almost) complete the project.

Here are the pictures:

All the pieces

First version of the connector piece:

New version of the connector piece:

Reason why the first connector piece was bad:

and why the new one is better:

The tower is quite stable even without the pillar, but the pillar is preferable.

Tower with connector:

Standalone tower:

Top view:

Sample setups:

All I need to do now, is trying to mimic the paint job so it fits better with the DF modules. Not easy ...

joseph44
Kobold
Kobold

Modular Tower

Post by joseph44 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:53 am

I love the tower design and I hope to see more pictures soon.

Thod, I've been looking at the Vatican stone casting material in the Hirst arts american products section. It looks like it might be a fun alternative which looks like real stone. I've wondered if other filler casting supplies like powdered metals could be placed in plaster mixes for interesting effects.(powdered bronze might look like gold specks in granite?) Perhaps a powdered mica / granite powders mixed in might look nice? If anyone has tried this, let me know how it worked.

Thod
Minotaur
Minotaur

Modular Tower

Post by Thod » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Criuox

I'm contemplating to do some tower myself - I will post pictures in case I get that far. I did the 6 inch tower in my last holidays in summer and build it as on the Hirst Arts pages. While it is nice to have it build up that way - it just looks nice - it is a lot less flexible.

Most HA models look stunning. DF is build to be played in. To be fair - Bruce is showing some really good examples to build modular pieces. But still - most molds are primarily with a bigger model in mind and it takes a lot of self constraint not to do them that way but opt for less impressive at first - but long term more modular builds.

In regard to the plaster discussion. I started using HydroCal AlphaK. The first time I tried to sand down the stuff using some sand paper it took me a few hours !! (during a game) to get the side of the wizard tower sanded down for a roof. I tried Herculite II once (a 5 Kg tub) but I'm back to HydroCal Alpha K again. Herculite was a lot more brittle. Normal stones cast with HrydroCal hardly ever chip if I drop them. Herculite - albeit it should be pretty hard as well - is a lot less forgiving if you drop it.

I don't know what you can get in Canada. Somewhere on the HA pages are reviews for several countries. I didn't see them until I found a supplier myself after a lot of search on google. Actually - couldn't find the pages on HA either when I looked earlier today. But they are there somewhere. Using a really good plaster is worth it.

Thod

crioux
Orc
Orc

Modular Tower

Post by crioux » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 am

I just got my molds, so I will be able to continue this project. Pictures soon

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Modular Tower

Post by jkratzer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm

L;

Skill has nothing to do with it. Believe ME, because the only stuff I'VE EVER worked with is resin, and if I can do it, I KNOW you can!
Now, MEANS, on the other hand, can be a royal PAIN, because I know how expensive resin can get, both in replacement molds and in resin itself.
BUT, it can be worth it, because the damn stuff is almost indestructable; you gotta WANNA break resin! But, you also have to make sure your molds have minimum undercut, because resin supposedly degrades the silicone faster than plaster by an order of magitude - or so I've been told.

TANSTAAFL.

See ya!

Jim