4e Reavers of Harkenwold Toadwallow Cavern: Spoilers

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Re: 4e Reavers of Harkenwold Toadwallow Cavern: Spoilers

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

This is the view from behind the screen. The screen is the updated 4e from WotC, that incorporates the newer Essentials line math and the final skill challenge table. It's the most useful screen, except maybe the Hammerdog screens that can be anything you want with a little work. I think my favorite screen art was the 3e Forgotton Realms... I think the cover art from that line too was some of my favorite.

The combat pad is the original Paizo Gamemastery version, a gift from Saxon; it still shows up at every game I run. Sometimes my laptop shows up, but only when I'm running from a pdf... which is not often. I like physical stuff over digital for the game table.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

The battlemat is from Hotz Mats, a half mat cut down to 36" x 24"

The little dead tree on the cliff was from the Tabletop Props campsite kickstarter, I believe.

I use little sticky dots on similar minis to track hit points separately. I leave them off for minions, who only have 1hp. I don't mind revealing to players which are minions and which have full hit points.

The Erinthor Mountains set I bought unpainted, and painted according to [someone on the DF forum... I need to credit him]'s paint scheme. His was much better, but I like the rust wash in the cracks to add color. I often think DF prepainted color schemes are too muted, but so is the reference material I suppose.
Last edited by fnordfriendly on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:24 pm

My mother made the dice tray out of an old cigar box and a piece of microvelvet. She made a matching one for my dad. I love Gale Force Nine's Battlefield in a Box series of terrain. It's too bad it's largely unavailable anymore. Some of the large trees and the brown boulders are by them. The river is from Pegasus Hobbies, still available.

The dice set is something I put together to teach my kids (and my father) how many sides each die has. I recommend this method for teaching - I can attest that it works pretty well. Get 4 matching sets of dice where each die is a different color. You can tell them "roll the green die," and they'll eventually connect its color and shape to the d10. They'll eventually know them by shape.
Last edited by fnordfriendly on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

4e Reavers of Harkenwold Toadwallow Cavern: Spoilers

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

If I had to pick a "desert island" version of D&D, I'd pick 4e because it's so heavily focused on skirmish combat. I love roleplaying, and it happens in 4e too, but if you want to feature a lot of DF builds, then 4e is tops. I also like the Nentir Vale campaign setting, which almost saw its own gazeteer; it died an early death due to the rollout of 5e.

I'm running Reavers of Harkenwold, one of 4e's most beloved modules. The pics are from the Toadwallow Caverns series of encounters. The Villain of the campaign is paying the bullywug tribe to harass the steading of Tor's Hold, thereby removing their fighters from aiding in overthrowing the occupying Iron Circle mercenaries.

The party consists of a Dwarf Fighter (Knight), a human Cleric Warpriest, a Pixie Paladin, and an Elf Hunter Ranger. They picked up an Iron Circle mercenary companion, who was their captive from the first salvo against them. They're now paying him one fifth their take in gold, but he's proving to be pretty ineffective as a hireling, so we'll see if that lasts.

I recently picked up a long piece of microvelvet to cover my game table, and another piece to act as a fog of war, like Stefan uses. I'm also using 2" gator foam to elevate the caverns, per Nate's recommendation... though maybe next year we'll have some cavern terrain trays?

I also took some pics of other implements I use at the table, just to present my GMing method, which I've practiced and refined over the years. I like to see how other people run games, so here's my way.