4e Reavers of Harkenwold Battle of Albridge: Spoilers

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Re: 4e Reavers of Harkenwold Battle of Albridge: Spoilers

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am

On the field outside of Albridge, the rebel forces have broken Nazin's army. However, Nazin himself, a handful of his men and a pair of tar devils make a break for the bridge, crossing it and challenging the PCs while the Albridge rebels regrouped to give them chase. Nazin commands his men to exterminate the troublesome PCs so he can secure the bridge against the pursuing army, giving them time to kill off the rebel leadership, who are currently holed up in the tavern nearby.

The PCs were knocked around a bit, and it was a close throng of fighting. Nazin was decapitated just as his army reached the bridge, whence the victorious PCs strode across it to meet the oncoming rabble. Seeing Nazin's head rolled across the bridge demoralized the enemy, and the PCs held it against them easily, giving the Albridge army time to catch up and crush them against the river shore.

The result was an Overwhelming Victory by the PCs (10 victory points out of 12 for the campaign). The Iron Circle forces were substantially depleted, and Albridge and its leaders were saved.

I chose not to run the subsequent encounters. The Albridge battle encounters felt like the true climax of the module.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Audles wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Absolutely this. Red Hand of Doom is an outstanding module - but Reavers refines it. I totally agree on Nentir Vale! I think that's a great setting for adventure. Plus it can fit anywhere you want it.

Mike Mearls has been tweeting about it on and off lately since he's using it to refine some systems he's been working on for style region guides. It's cool to see that unfold.
That makes me so happy. Mike Mearls is such a cool down-to-earth gamer, I like what he did with 5e. I only wish the Nentir Vale campaign setting guide for 4e would have seen the light of day.

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm

fnordfriendly wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm
Thanks!
Audles wrote:
This and Gardmore Abbey are definitely the best adventures of the 4e era. I loved running this adventure.
Reavers is essential D&D. It reminds me of one of my favorite modules, Red Hand of Doom, only shorter, simpler and more personal. The authors certainly took a page from RHoD - there are too many similarities to be coincidence.

I liked the Nentir Vale setting, maybe more than Forgotten Realms. It had a dark ages post-apocalyptic from-the-ashes feel... desperate even.
Absolutely this. Red Hand of Doom is an outstanding module - but Reavers refines it. I totally agree on Nentir Vale! I think that's a great setting for adventure. Plus it can fit anywhere you want it.

Mike Mearls has been tweeting about it on and off lately since he's using it to refine some systems he's been working on for style region guides. It's cool to see that unfold.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks!
Audles wrote:
This and Gardmore Abbey are definitely the best adventures of the 4e era. I loved running this adventure.
Reavers is essential D&D. It reminds me of one of my favorite modules, Red Hand of Doom, only shorter, simpler and more personal. The authors certainly took a page from RHoD - there are too many similarities to be coincidence.

I liked the Nentir Vale setting, maybe more than Forgotten Realms. It had a dark ages post-apocalyptic from-the-ashes feel... desperate even.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Love that ruined tower!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:44 pm

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Two thumbs and two big toes up for the bell tower and ruined tower!

The adventure looks fun!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:39 pm

The game sounds awesome and I love the ruined tower and bell tower.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:27 pm

These pics were taken before and during a game, so the lighting wasn't great, and the pics had to be taken from sub-optimal angles.

This is the Battle of Albridge, the true climax of the Reavers of Harkenwold 4e adventure from the DM's Kit. The PCs have been disrupting the activities of the Iron Circle in Harkenwold - and they've taken notice. They muster their forces to march on the rebel base in Albridge.

The leaders ask the PCs to stay behind to guard the bridge crossing. Their main forces are ambushing the approaching army on the road, so their job is to hold against anything that gets by the main force long enough for the rebel army to catch up.

The first encounter sees an Iron Circle Captain with 15 minions approach the bridge through the smoke. Two teams carry light bridges with which to cross the river on either side of the bridge. The third team led by the captain charge for the bridge. As he clears the fieldworks with his massive flail, the PCs eliminate one ladder team. The Captain eventually falls to the fighter and barbarian, and the third ladder team makes it across. They are cut down in short order, however, and the bridge defense holds.

Shortly after (after a short rest that is). screams are heard from the buildings near the belltower - flames erupt from the buildings and several tar devils, a dark adept and two crossbowmen take up positions. They know the rebel leaders are holed up in the inn across the town square, so they make for it in an attempt to eliminate the rebel leaders.

The PCs intercept them (except for the archer who uses the ruined tower as a perch from which to snipe), and a fierce battle between the tar devils and adept ensues. The goliath barbarian and pixie paladin go down toward the end, and the dwarf deals the death blow to the adept. Both tar devils are banished back to the nine hells.

The rebel leadership is saved, but as they revive their fallen friends, the battle approaches the undefended bridge. The leader of the Iron Circle with his lieutenants cross the bridge, and command the remnant of their army to secure it against the pursuing rebels. In the final encounter, the PCs must face the Iron Circle leader, Nazin Redthorn, and defeat him in combat or buy the pursuing rebel army time to retake the bridge.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

4e Reavers of Harkenwold Battle of Albridge: Spoilers

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 pm