FOUND THE TILE SYSTEM PHOTOS TO DF SETS

Please post your sample maps here -- or post links to sites with sample maps using DF products.
kgallaghar
Orc
Orc

Re: FOUND THE TILE SYSTEM PHOTOS TO DF SETS

Post by kgallaghar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 pm

kgallaghar
Orc
Orc

Post by kgallaghar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 pm

For what it's worth, I use MS Paint 3D to do my photos. It allows you to set the canvas background to transparent. It was also free on my computer. I'm sure there are better tools (and photographers) out there.
1"=100 pixels.

kgallaghar
Orc
Orc

Post by kgallaghar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Heruca wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:45 pm Thanks for making these pics available. Does anyone know who owns the rights to these images? Who would I contact about them?
The Tilesystem program was claimed by CRasterImage.

The guy who did the images said they are "The Pictures/Tiles
These tiles are produced by Proving Ground Productions. They may be used for non-profit use with the following restrictions:

1) please give credit to Proving Ground Productions on any maps or art you make
2) Any modifications need to be redistributed in png form with any published images.

For profit use, please send mail to proving@pfworks.com for arrangements."

I included his whole statement as I didn't know if you just wanted to use them, or wanted to do something profit based.

If you search on "Mastermaze Tilesystem" you'll find the above. @2007 dated forum entries.

Heruca
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Heruca » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for that great link, kgallaghar!

It's my understanding that Proving Ground Productions created the drawings, not the photo tiles. Can anyone confirm that?
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

Heruca
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Heruca » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

My interest in the photo tiles is because I developed MapForge, which is map-making software for Mac & Windows, and it supports both free and paid content Add-Ons.

I'd like to get permission to redistribute the photos in the form of free content Add-Ons. The software itself can be used for free, but a paid license is required for high-resolution output or layouts larger than 40x40 squares.

What's interesting is that my app has a "Tile Inventory" feature that tallies up how many copies of each Tile you used in creating a given layout. So I think MapForge could essentially replace the old Map Maker software for Dwarven Forge hobbyists. And tabletop RPG GMs could use the photo sets for making maps for their gaming sessions.
MapForge is new mapping software for Windows and Mac. Funded on Kickstarter, and now on Indiegogo.

kgallaghar
Orc
Orc

Post by kgallaghar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 pm

Heruca wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:17 pm Thanks for that great link, kgallaghar!

It's my understanding that Proving Ground Productions created the drawings, not the photo tiles. Can anyone confirm that?
I just searched these forums and found reference to LoneStarr making the photos. I also found someone posting about Dirk Fuhrmann making "the wonderful Photo tileset". One was from 2009 and I think the other is around 2006 or 2007 (about when I discovered DF). Anyway, here are the two links that seemed to address the subject;

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... ons#p18602

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... ons#p73558

I hope that helps. I'd love to see things updated, though other than my lesser quality pictures, it works pretty good.

kgallaghar
Orc
Orc

Post by kgallaghar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 pm

"What's interesting is that my app has a "Tile Inventory" feature that tallies up how many copies of each Tile you used in creating a given layout"

Tile system does that, too. It's under File/Generate Report) It sends the output to a .txt file named Report.txt.
Output looks like;

map width = 104.0
map height = 150.68

tile available used
-----------------------------------------------------
FN corner wall 38 19
FN straight wall 29 29
FN long wall 4 4
FN floor 2x2 45 23
FN caved-in passage 1 1
FN long wall w. mermaid fountain 1 1
Catacomb Altar 1 1
FN narrow straight passage 19 17
FN narrow right-angle passage 4 3
FN narrow T-shaped passage 5 3
FN narrow dead-end 12 4
FN narrow passage conversion 4 2
FN lower stair 2 1

CRasterImage did an awesome job on this program. And having all the files text files so you can easily add stuff makes it so easy to use.

thebigteacher
Ogre
Ogre

Post by thebigteacher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 pm

Too cool, excellent save.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:26 am

About resin :

ROTA, hellscape, icy caverns, catacombs are not included.
Some promo pieces too.

About the gametiles, dod is not present.
And other trademarks (psominiatures, mini worlds etc) which are compatible same.

That's so sad no one can add it.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:59 am

It would be really nice if DF partnered with some map program to make a real full-featured DF mapping tool that included all the past and current set, and supported negative space and stacked/elevated builds for the kind of stuff we do in the real world. I'd pay $30-70 for something like that depending on features.

A pause in sculpts and doing something like that as a small Hellscape-sized kickstarter might really be neat.

Return to “Sample Maps”