City Builder buy suggestions

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: City Builder buy suggestions

Post by dice4hire » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 am

I got lots of street starters so I have less variety but a lot more straight streets over some of the more odd streets in the Imperial. The main drawback is I have no lion ......

I did cut three of my straight streets in half and that has really helped my builds.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 pm

I also bought Imperial Streets with the CBS kickstarter and am glad I did. They gorgeous in person and bring something special to the table.

That said, if I was starting out with a limited budget, I would buy the alley sets for sure since they're more useful for the limited space builds I typically put on the table.

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:29 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 am
Mitch wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:20 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:54 am
Anyone have an idea on how many street bundles were used in the layout in this photo?
We know :)

This layout used one Imperial Streets set and one Wargamer Street set (which the store does not seem to hold)
Thanks RB.

ChrilleT
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChrilleT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:36 am

Recently started buying CBC and like many other mentioned found out that the double posts are very useful and help keeping tiles staying together when using more than one floor tile. If your buildings are more than one level it´s also gets a lot easier to remove an entire level with double posts.

Did buy the Imperial streets (wider streets) but did not like them as much as the narrower streets. They take up more space and there was a little more elevation difference between the pieces so it looked a little of imo. They do take up a lot of space if you only have a smaller to medium game table. If you feel it gets to tight between buildings you could add more sidewalk next to road to get them a little wider. Don´t forget "dead end alleys" pieces so you get an "endpiece".

Hamlet is a good start but if you are going for a city with roofs on you will have to buy more roofs. The roofs in Hamlet will only be enough if you make two 5 level buildings or something similar. If you make more 1 or 2 level buildings you will need a lot more roofs. It can also be useful to count doors or floors with opening if you already have something specific in mind with number of buildings or levels you want to make.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:48 am

I think you need both streets and alleys, cities and castles. Mix it up IMO.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:41 am

Mitch wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:20 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Anyone have an idea on how many street bundles were used in the layout in this photo?
We know :)

This layout used one Imperial Streets set and one Wargamer Street set (which the store does not seem to hold)

And Double posts are super useful.

zenako - the Lava bridge looks great spanning those sewers - nice work :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm

I was playing around last year with some streets and sewers and bridges to just try stuff out. I do have a large 5' x 10' play area so the need for alleys is by choice, not by space. Moving minis in an alley location can be tight for larger hands if the adjacent buildings are more than a single story tall.
Attachments
Playing Around with Sewers and Streets.jpg
As I said, playing around to see how things fit
Playing Around with Sewers and Streets.jpg (137.33 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
More Streets.jpg
More streets
More Streets.jpg (113.31 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Bridge over Sewers.jpg
Bridge over multiple sewers
Bridge over Sewers.jpg (126.6 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 pm

FYI I do love my streets. Use them all the time. Also the sewers are awesome, I thought they would be too specialized at first, but I use them every chance I get.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:53 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 pm
With the streets, I would suggest specializing in alleys instead of the wide streets.

Also, the double posts are worth their weight in gold with City Builder. They allow you to create a second story that is easy to take off to access the level below it by holding all of the floors on that top floor together.
Seconded on both counts! The double posts are EXTREMELY useful. And while the wide streets are nice, unless you're working on a huge table, I find the alleys much more useful. I'd recommend one full imperial streets set, then alley and alley intersection add-ons.

Return to “Feedback on Latest Sets”