To Do List for Dwarven Forge

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Re: To Do List for Dwarven Forge

Post by hunter_something » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:22 am

Great thread!

My top wants have all been covered. I'd love some rounded corners / alcove style CBS pieces, as well as roof variants and wooden wall options.

Ideally, is also really like the tools to make a catwalk / scaffolding system. My primary reason for this is wanting to do a cool Skullport style city build, but it could be a pretty cool addition to a lot of settings: castle under repair, cavern mining operation, etc...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:45 am

Funny we think Cities/CBS do not or did not need encounters as there are very few variation on how to use them. Without and advanced builders set, they are all 4x4x2 building blocks. They did offer a variety of packages, Empire, Capitol City etc that built many houses, but never showed off what could be built apart from the odd video. CBS because of its simplicity allowed you to build all sorts of buildings as long as they were made up of 4x4x2 building blocks.

Castles showed that with such complex pieces, especially tower/wall integration DF saw that DooFers wanted/needed to see what could be built and how and then offered as a complete package.

But we agree that any major update to CBS will give us encounters based upon building types, which should have unique features, roofs, Doorways and doors, furniture.
Double height walls and doors anyone ?

Totally agree that the shop should show images of what can be built with the parts on offer, with say the Hamlet set, and some builds showing off accessories and other additions, preferably with a buy all the sets now option :)

They have shown us what looks to be a standalone 'swampy' tree that coming in KS7

All for waterfalls - though prefer something on a tile like the Magma Waterfall which can then be connected to the CD Water Transition for TTs or use existing or new river sculpts!!

DF already do a fountain though a new one would not go amiss :)

A well would be a welcome addition.

These though look like they will be coming in KS8 :(
Well maybe we get a Wildlands well and other rural details, drinking troughs, maybe walls and fences. Problem with a lot of this is many other companies do the same, though dwarvenite versions are much appreciated.

We wait with barely restrained anticipation ....
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:39 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 pm
If KS8 is a return to cities and castles or village and towns and DF continues to do KSs with the encounter model as I expect them to. I think you, Tyrant will get something close to what you are hoping for.
Yeah I am hoping that the shift towards the encounter format will see that result. I'm honestly surprised that the encounter idea came up with dungeons and not buildings.

I'm kind of torn on the encounter idea overall though. To me, it makes a lot more sense with buildings than it does with dungeons. I don't see the issue with the format of the first 2 Kickstarters because you can reassemble the dungeons and caverns in numerous ways. Buildings aren't really like that. In general, people expect floors, walls, doors, windows, a roof, etc. There's preconceived notions about the overall form of buildings that dungeons don't really have holding them back. And the pieces available reflect that (I don't know how else they would work). They really only go together so many ways (at least that's how it looks to me). So, selling them as a whole building (along with more parts to expand them) makes more sense, to me, than selling a specific dungeon. I view it similar to LEGO sets. Yeah, I could buy a box of random blocks to try to build a building. I'll probably come close* to doing that. But, I can also buy a set that has all of the parts to make a building that will look better than what I can make with random parts (and practice). I want that second option.

I know there's a better way to explain that. I can see that the parts from KS III are obviously modular, but they appear to be less versatile than the parts from KS I, II, V, and VI and it seems like they would more readily lend themselves to predefined sets.

On the other hand, there's lots of parts in the last couple Kickstarters that I am sure we would not have if it weren't for the encounter system. So on that front, they're great.

*That's a general statement. I probably have enough LEGO blocks to make a human scale piece of furniture or two so I could probably make a halfway decent house with random blocks.

Edit to add: Hopefully this isn't a total thread derailment (I'll add some more suggestions to balance it out), but the above hits on two of my issues with the current layout of the store and the sets. The first issue is that there need to be pictures with each set showing what you can do with that set, if the parts within it are meant to be used by themselves. Obviously a set of floors just sit there and work better with walls, so they might not need more pictures. But what about Dungeon Passage Pack 2, 3, and 4, for instance? It honestly took me a while to figure out how the pieces in Pack 3 were meant to go together (side note, I just ordered one so my opinions here may change). That kept me from ordering them for a long time.

Which brings me to the other issue: some product layouts make no sense (to me at least). Why are Dungeon Passage Packs 3 and 4 separate sets? 3 appears to have 4 corners and 4 of what I assume are meant to be T junctions, and 4 half flat/half beveled passages. To make use of more than 2 of the corners or more than 1 T intersection you have to buy more half flat/half beveled passages. So, why not cut the number of intersections in half (giving you two corners and two Ts) and then increase the passages to 10 (and increase the price if necessary) so that you can use everything? Instead it's split between two sets (1 of each still doesn't give you enough passages and 2 of Passage Pack 4 leaves you with 4 extras) that aren't always in stock at the same time (like now, for instance). I imagine there's a production reason for this, but from a customer perspective it looks crazy or ill planned.

New ideas, as promised:
-Consolidated Passage Pack: as mentioned above

-Swamp trees: with Wildlands coming up and lots of speculation that we will see swamps, how about some stand alone swamp trees? The type that have lots of roots going down into the water and the trunk seeming to start above the water line where the roots meet up. They can go with the terrain trays or water tiles where they will sit atop them. A picture search says they are cypress trees of some kind that I am picturing.

-KS II waterfall piece with more of a greenish tint for swamp water

-KS II waterfall with a black, bubbly appearance to match the necrotic sludge terrain tray

-A fountain and/or a well for the city and castle sets

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:15 pm

If KS8 is a return to cities and castles or village and towns and DF continues to do KSs with the encounter model as I expect them to. I think you, Tyrant will get something close to what you are hoping for.

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Something I would like to see would be premade buildings (presumably using KS III pieces, and possibly KS IV) in the vein of the new Castle sets and the Cottages.
-Tavern: This is probably the easiest one. They probably already have the basic bits and the decorative accessories to do this. Probably make it a single level to keep it simple enough that it isn't super expensive.

-Split level Tavern: Either the initial tavern with a second floor over part of it or a different overall design.

-Inn: This one would be larger than either of the other two as it would be two complete floors. A lower level tavern and the upper level being rooms for the inn. This could possibly be stone on the lower floor and tudor on the upper floor.

The overall idea being that you can buy one set and have a complete building. Then you can buy other sets to expand that building or build others once you see how it all works together. Of course, I'm saying this as someone who doesn't own any KSIII sets (for lots of reasons, but one of them is that I want a complete building) so I may be a little biased.

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:16 pm

I totally agree with you AnimeSensei.
All mention things are gaps to be filled.

I would like to add
Windmill/water mill
Banks/Transition Piece for Streets (street ends)

If I compare CBS with other manufactures (3D print or resin) the CBS System is very limited...
We definitely need an update here.

But most of all:
DWARVEN FORGE needs a DWARVEN theme. It’s a pity that we had to wait til KS 6 for the FORGE but we still miss the DWARVEN MOUNTAIN with a Kings Hall, big statues, and of course a Mine!!!

But anyway, what ever DF is doing next it will be awesome.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 pm

William wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:13 am

….#

Arena Coliseum - 2 rabbits enter 7 rabbits leave

….
I think you might be thinking..., Brothel or visit to the midwifes place, not coliseum. ;)
No, this is proven fact.

Coliseum and circus owners were notorious for not thoroughly checking the gender of creatures that were not of their race and would often force Rabbits of different genders to fight to the death.

Of course Rabbits being Rabbits would often fail their procreation throws and end giving a quite different spectacle...

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:13 am
Our wants, reflect an awful lot of what has already been covered.
We have split ours into what we will buy now and what we might once we see it (like DH)

Buy now if it existed

Expand on CBS - different styles, more roofs
Advanced CBS - bigger buildings, non rectangular buildings (curved walls etc)
More ruins - especially for Castles – can include vines creepers etc.
Expand on Mountains and cliffs - more natural slopes, more cliff face variation
Expand on Escarpments - add a gentle slope/path, river/waterfall
Temples and ruined Temples
Sci-Fi space ship interiors
Expanded trees – more tree variation, foliage, evergreen fir options, a non collapsed Spirit Tree
Yggdrasill – Tree of life
Standing stones – Henges – stone and wood – old and new – glowing runes
Forest undergrowth – thicker taller brambles, ferns for forest/wildland tiles – look fabulous with ruins

Need to see first before buying
Non right angled walls for Castles
Star Fort options for Castles
Tree minis platforms
Tree houses
Sculpted rivers
Pyramid - Mayan, Aztec, Egyptian, stepped

If we did this before we knew what was in CD how many would have trees in their list?
DF have a knack of knowing better than we do what we actually want. Not necessarily what we need.
I think you might be thinking..., Brothel or visit to the midwifes place, not coliseum. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:13 am

Our wants, reflect an awful lot of what has already been covered.
We have split ours into what we will buy now and what we might once we see it (like DH)

Buy now if it existed

Expand on CBS - different styles, more roofs
Advanced CBS - bigger buildings, non rectangular buildings (curved walls etc)
More ruins - especially for Castles – can include vines creepers etc.
Expand on Mountains and cliffs - more natural slopes, more cliff face variation
Expand on Escarpments - add a gentle slope/path, river/waterfall
Temples and ruined Temples
Sci-Fi space ship interiors
Expanded trees – more tree variation, foliage, evergreen fir options, a non collapsed Spirit Tree
Yggdrasill – Tree of life
Standing stones – Henges – stone and wood – old and new – glowing runes
Forest undergrowth – thicker taller brambles, ferns for forest/wildland tiles – look fabulous with ruins

Need to see first before buying
Non right angled walls for Castles
Star Fort options for Castles
Tree minis platforms
Tree houses
Sculpted rivers
Pyramid - Mayan, Aztec, Egyptian, stepped

If we did this before we knew what was in CD how many would have trees in their list?
DF have a knack of knowing better than we do what we actually want. Not necessarily what we need.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

I'd love a large selection of docks pieces.
Treetop villages would be great as well, and would blend nicely with DH.
"Elven" architecture for dungeons/cities.
Dwarven as well.
Mine carts/tracks.
More hilly terrain for caverns/cities (already covered above on the city side).

Return to “Feedback on Latest Sets”