Catacombs 2 thoughts

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Catacombs 2 thoughts

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:26 pm

I photoshopped a new Picture for our site, which adds the 4 corners which are included in the basic Catacombs 2 set:)

We should be able to replace the one that is showing pretty quick, or by monday, after the weekend...

Thanks!

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:25 am

Ha, I love it!

Here's the picture from the European site:
Attachments
Catacombs_Set_2.jpg
Catacombs_Set_2.jpg (80.36 KiB) Viewed 4536 times

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:13 am

Magniopi wrote:

Law wrote:

My one complaint is really about the PR -- setting aside all the other issues that have plagued this release, the fact is that the picture on the site doesn't accurately reflect the contents of the box. Yes, the description does -- but I missed the reference to the sarcophagus and I didn't realize it came with four of the square corners. Those were all happy surprises to me! Descriptions are important, but there's no good reason to leave that stuff out of the picture. Show off the goods, guys!

Seriously!
I did NOT order a Catacombs 2 when they were posted because the set didn't seem to have quite enough to make it worthwhile for me. I liked the picture, I wanted the set, but there were just too few pieces for price. I never read the description--that's what the picture is for!

Now that I've read Law's review and gone back to read the full product description, I placed my order. The set seemed so close before. Finding out it also includes four corners, a sarcophagus, a bowl with skulls, and even the marbles makes it a sale.
Law should get a commission for this one, and that picture should really be updated! I guarantee I'm not the only one to have mistakenly passed on Catacombs 2 because the picture doesn't show what it really includes.

I changed the composition SO many times I am actually confused...can somebody post a picture of what the final composition is please? I personally have not gotten one yet...I only have my prototypes...

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I was working on a Catacombs setup last night and decided one of the new altar pieces would be handy. This morning I had the altar set in my cart waiting to finalize the purchase, but I kept going back to the Catacombs 2 picture.
After checking Law's review, re-checking the Catacombs 2 product page, and adding a corner set as I was paying shipping anyway, my $17 purchase turned into $180.
Happy Friday!

Duncan_and_Dragons
Orc
Orc

Post by Duncan_and_Dragons » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:52 am

The sarcophagus is really nice. With gems on the side and very well detailed.

If you want to see it, go to the Dwarveforge.eu site until the US site pictures are up to speed.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:49 am

Law wrote:

My one complaint is really about the PR -- setting aside all the other issues that have plagued this release, the fact is that the picture on the site doesn't accurately reflect the contents of the box. Yes, the description does -- but I missed the reference to the sarcophagus and I didn't realize it came with four of the square corners. Those were all happy surprises to me! Descriptions are important, but there's no good reason to leave that stuff out of the picture. Show off the goods, guys!

Seriously!
I did NOT order a Catacombs 2 when they were posted because the set didn't seem to have quite enough to make it worthwhile for me. I liked the picture, I wanted the set, but there were just too few pieces for price. I never read the description--that's what the picture is for!

Now that I've read Law's review and gone back to read the full product description, I placed my order. The set seemed so close before. Finding out it also includes four corners, a sarcophagus, a bowl with skulls, and even the marbles makes it a sale.
Law should get a commission for this one, and that picture should really be updated! I guarantee I'm not the only one to have mistakenly passed on Catacombs 2 because the picture doesn't show what it really includes.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Catacombs 2 thoughts

Post by Law » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Whew, made it! I got my stuff!

Granted, I couldn't afford the space OR money to get everything I'd WANTED to get (I had to pass up some of the new sets AND some of the restocks I'd originally planned to get). But I did pick up three things: the Catacombs 2 basic set, the Catacombs 2 square corners set, and the Catacombs 2 6" wall. Here's my take on them:

As a general note, I am happy with how DF has been carving out their sets now. Instead of putting everything in one massive $200 set, which forces you to get multiples of pieces you might not want more than once if you want to double up on others (i.e. want another set of big floors or walls? enjoy your extra unique fountain!) they've made it possible to order multiples of the basic components (floors, walls) and even some of the unique pieces (long walls). The doors kinda slipped through the cracks, I think -- it seems like people would want more than two doors without accumulating extra fountains, too. But this is a minor quibble. On the whole, I think the pieces are distributed well.

That said, this is also more a set of accessories for Catacombs 1 than it is a set on its own. There are no basic floor pieces at ALL in the new releases, for example, or basic walls. There are no open doors like what we saw in Catacombs 1. Really, that's the main set, and this is additional dressing for it. Which is neither good nor bad, just something I noticed.

As for the pieces themselves:

The detail, as always, is spectacular. There are little chips and breaks where stones have come "loose" and skulls have accumulated. One reason the Catacombs set was so popular is that it really packs so much insane DETAIL into it. There's just a lot of cool stuff here -- chains and bones and skulls and broken stone.

The two long walls are fantastic complements to the corner hearths of the prior set. I think a room comprised of all of them would be awfully crowded, but by distributing them throughout a larger layout you can get a neat thematic unity. And by using just a single wall in an otherwise plain catacomb -- or inserting it into a regular dungeon -- you get a fantastic focal point. It can be purely aesthetic, or it can be a special location, like a sacrificial altar or a source of magic or a portal to another dimension. All awesome.

And while we're on the subject, the swap-out pieces for the light-up function makes it even cooler. Basic flames if you want these to be simply background pieces in a catacomb, where little foyers exist periodically to light the way. OR places where the heads of major family are buried. Or you can use things like the cup or crystal skull for an Indiana Jones-esque relic encounter. Again, so much potential.

And the fountain in the middle of it all is gorgeous. I do admit I'm not 100% sold on the skulls at the edge -- the scale seems just confusing to me, they're clearly too big to be human but they don't look monstrous enough to be as interesting as they could be for giant skulls. They're neat, but they don't blow me away. I do like, very much, the gold sitting at the base of the fountain. A nice way to incorporate a little treasure hoard into the catacomb -- and all sorts of questions about whether the treasure is cursed.

I love the columns, and intend to use them a lot. As with the doors, it's a shame there isn't a pack just of them. I'd want a lot more than four, I'd want as many as I have walls, really. If there's any way to put out suggestions for future resin set distributions, I ask for a set of these things. So freaking useful.

Speaking of the doors, I love them. The gears seem a little like the start of a whole OTHER setting, a funky steampunk setting. They WORK in this environment, but they're also surprising. They're amazing.

And - testament to how awesome DF is and how much detail they pack into their products -- I swear I fiddled with a door for two or three minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't locking (and remaining closed) when I turned the wheel, before I realized it didn't actually have that feature. Well, hey, that's the kind of thing Stefan normally does!

Finally -- LOVE the tomb itself. Simple, but not bland, it fits perfectly in place and works to give a room a proper feeling of purpose.

All in all, definitely an awesome set of accessories to add to the catacomb world.