Review on Dwarvenite Lava Cavern and River sets.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Review on Dwarvenite Lava Cavern and River sets.

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:23 pm

I would love some of the yellow tiles, but I did not get any lava sets as I was planning to paint my own. I like the yellow as a base coat, and I would just have to base coat them yellow anyway.

I also prefer the translucent ice as it is easy to make it more opaque and just leave translucent sections. I did not like the resin ice cave tiles as they just looked like someone whitewashed stones. The other nice thing about the translucent tiles is you can just use them as is and your players will automatically know they are in a ice cave, and at least my players will be saying nothing but how amazing they look. I love them!

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Did not know that the lava tiles would be yellow. I for one am glad. This will make painting them easier . As yellow will be what you want as the under coat less seen anyway.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Hmmmmm... Since the Lave River tiles are a base yellow, I wonder if the standard Water Cavern tiles are a base green...

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't think the lava river looks that bad, and the stone lava areas look way better than I expected. Because they are puzzle pieces they are never going to combine perfectly in every layout, but your players will get the idea. I think I will try and paint mine more like this:

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Regarding the painting of the lava rivers, I think it would have been too hard for the factory to keep results consistent if more blending between colors was involved. That's why I opted to paint my own this time around. I'm impressed that they managed to do a fairly faithful paint job on the lava caverns themselves, though. They look great.

I need to wait until I see some drybrushed ice caverns before I decide whether I want any of them. My fears that the translucence would make the gaps between tiles even more prominent seem to have been valid. I might prefer to just do some of my opaque tiles in an icy paint scheme, I think.

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 pm

I was planning on getting some unpainted lava cavern sets to paint in the normal cavern color scheme to have more tile variation. I'm glad I went with more base sets instead now that I see bright yellow PVC was used for them. Hopefully there aren't too many people who had the same idea, as they're bound to be disappointed. I don't remember this being mentioned at all...

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Damn those ice tiles look good even unpainted. Just build on a light blue table cloth or put some light blue LEDs in a few pieces and your good to go.

jgardner44
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jgardner44 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 pm

The lava does look quite a bit like that in person. If you adjust the contrast you can make it look better in photos, but I tried to capture a look close to what you will see. I tried not to be picky about it, because I would hate to have df scrap making more lava sets. The painting on be stones is amazing though. I think if there had been at least one more shade transition on the lava it would have been improved.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Anyone know if they are going to let us pre-order exrta cavern sets like they did with Dungeon tiles?

Not only would I like an unpainted yellow lava set, there are some other extras I would like to get more of.

I so can not wait to get my hands on these sets!!!

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

I would like to buy a couple unpainted yellow Dwarvenite cavern sets. I wonder if you bought the unpainted lava set if it comes in yellow?