Wishlist for Your KS3 Dwarvenite Civilization

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Wishlist for Your KS3 Dwarvenite Civilization

Post by LordDust » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 am

I still think pink foam sheets and spray paint (from enough distance to avoid eating up the foam, of course) make the easiest and cheapest elevation bits. They are also pretty light weight. I'm not sure I'd be looking to spend more money on a less stable and possibly heavier solution when I could spend it on more terrain and minis instead. You can get a huge sheet for about thirty bucks, or more manageable 2ftx2ft sheets for about five bucks. Some Home Depot locations even sell sheets with significant damage to one portion for a steep discount. I got one for half off. I just need to finish my second pass through college so I have more time to craft.

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:52 am

Did he say to take the most expensive tiles I've ever purchased, turn them upside down and cover them? Pardon me, I have to go to the corner and cry...

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 am

Teulisch wrote:one thing i would love to see from DF, would be a better solution for elevation.
Here is an idea for elevation.

Next year when you get your KS city builder tiles and are not using them in a city turn them up side down and use them for elevation blocks then cover them in dungeon or cavern tiles.

Teulisch
Orc
Orc

Post by Teulisch » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:21 am

one thing i would love to see from DF, would be a better solution for elevation. a lightweight stackable 12"x12" base would be nice, something sturdy enough to hold the weight of resin, possibly with folding legs that can snap into place. a square foot would be easy to work into both 2" and 4" tiles, as thats the smallest you will likely see a simple room of 4" tiles. maybe with a central support that can fit into place for better support of weight.

right now, getting a second level to the right height for a specific sized space is difficult at best. everyone probably has their own unique solution to the problem- DF made their elevation blocks for caverns, which are great for when you need a cliff face, but also quite bulky, heavy, and expensive for a larger area. they also used narrow passages for support in one cbs build they showed us, which can work if you have enough to spare, but that can then limit your build options. various other supplies could be used, but that requires more time and effort to get set up, and the easiest solution i can think of would be rather annoying to store.

if DF can make a nice, stable platform for elevation, then some hillside tiles that look like the Motte that goes under the castle would work well with it- and you only need 4 tiles for that- side, outside corner, inside corner, and stairs going up the hillside. 28 tiles to surround one 12" square elevation block, and you have a basic motte package.

having some sloping hillsides would be a nice addition to numerous builds, especially for outside of a dungeon entrance.
25 resin sets, 5 KS1 sets, 5 KS2 sets, KS3 Village/Sewer/Streets

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 am

image.jpg
Concept Photo
image.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Griffin Gate - Northern Entrance to Lanalor
A fortified Thorpe on the the frontier, too small to have the "fancy" walls and double gates of larger fortifications. with DF3 and GT items, I have begun to "upgrade" my Thorpe to match my tiles...

Curved walls next to Giants Gate (thinking about a crossbeam modification for the Gate Doors). Perhaps spanning Arch connecting Towers on either side with murder holes? In "floor", cauldrons? Wooden Guard Shack just outside for "customs" guard.

Three story walls - first level solid; second level, arched and arrow slits (crossbows and magic); third level wall top (pointless mounted crossbows?)

Four story Towers; first level solid, second and third level, arched and slit windows alternating; fourth level, artillery.

Dry moat with stakes surrounding with bridge (removable, hinged or drawbridge) for wagon traffic.

What am I missing?

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Tue May 05, 2015 12:21 pm

dafrca wrote:i believe they also said the doors would work with the door frames from KS1. If that is true, selling just the doors would open up door sales to those with KS1 door frames as well as KS3 door walls. :D
Or even more mods like curtains, entryways (pieces would "plug in" to doorway but extend out from the building - like a breezeway - maybe to connect different buildings?

dafrca
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dafrca » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Limbolance wrote: 5) Doors: Since they are removable - why not just offer doors instead of doors plus wall? .....
I believe they also said the doors would work with the door frames from KS1. If that is true, selling just the doors would open up door sales to those with KS1 door frames as well as KS3 door walls. :D

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Wishlist for Your KS3 Dwarvenite Civilization

Post by Limbolance » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 am

Random Musings...
1) Streets: I wish the streets were just 4" cobblestone squares. The "details" would come on 1 inch pieces; sewer openings and grates for example. The 1" pieces could then be "stacked" on top of the 4" pieces to give sidewalks (allowing 2" wide roads), OR placed adjacent to give 6" wide main thouroughfares (4" wide roads), OR free placed with felt (as an example) to represent gravel/dirt/alleys, OR even with two (or more) 4" road squares to make plazas, etc.
---Also wish that "stepping stones" were stackable (like the 1" pieces mentioned above) instead of molded to street pieces
---Also wish that other details like hitching posts, lantern stands, flower boxes, street pillars (for street signs) and more "bling" was available (course, I am sure this KS will generate a massive "after market" of such items).
2) Walls: Wish there were half length walls to make interior spaces easier to make - full length walls on the interiors could be a pain....
3) Canals: wouldn't it be nice for some small boat dockage... Bridge could also fit "over" the canal but would need railings instead of walls.
4) Walls with Doors and/or Windows: Be nice to have a wall with a door AND a window...
---Also, to have walls with doors and windows be magnetized. Picture if you will: a 4x4 shoppe with a door, 2 windows and a back wall; its a one floor shoppe - the only place to hang the nifty magnetized sign is on the featureless wall facing the alley?
5) Doors: Since they are removable - why not just offer doors instead of doors plus wall? It would be cheaper and reduce the number of pieces sitting in the box. Also, easier to offer "custom packs"
--- For example a Temple Custom Pack could come with custom double doors (to fit into a existing double door frame), stained glass inserts (for the various types of windows offered in the Castle Wall and/or KS3 wall for maximum variation options) and plank flooring (fits inside the 4x4 dimensions - walls).
---Another example: Jail Pack could come with barred door, bar window inserts and interior bar walls.
---Another example: Stable Pack: stalls, hay bales, winch to lift straw, half doors (horse heads can hang out over "open half".

Just a few musings while we await the "birth" of new Dwarvenite...