Thanks on behalf of my kids

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Re: Thanks on behalf of my kids

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 pm

This concerns me a bit to be honest. Don't like the thought of them being potentially harmful.

Maybe Dwarven Forge staff can weigh in? I I'll start another thread though.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm

My kids love them too and i let them play dirty hands and all ;)

I have no scientific basis or actual knowledge to back this up, but i have zero fear about my kids and dwarvenite - but i will not let them touch metal minis - here is a case (especially with the old ones) where we KNOW exactly how dangerous the stuff is - i feel like i shouldn't touch them, fortunately i have a Hat of Denial that i wear when i am working with old Grenadier & Ral Partha stuff - it convinces me that my joy at the old school goodness insulates me against any harm!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Could someone explain to me the significance of having your kids wash their hands after playing with Dwarvenite?... I'm failing to understand the perceived risks. Maybe if someone could spell out clearly what concerns are going through their head, that would help. Thanks.

If anyone feels this is starting to derail the thread then we can move it elsewhere.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm

Saxon1974 wrote:So the PVC used in the dwarvenite and be a danger to kids? I assume only if they eat it? My boys are 3 and 5.
PVC (which is plastic #3) is considered safe by many governments, for certain purposes. However, the production and disposal of PVC can harm the environment, and the production and disposal can release toxins that are hazardous to humans too. If you're interested, you can search online -- but be careful what you read, there is propaganda on both sides saying it's 100% safe or 100% deadly.

PVC is commonly used in water pipes, and it is in many products around most people's homes (including some children's toys, though these typically have restrictions on certain chemicals and elements used in the production -- at least in most countries). I don't know the specific processes and materials used to make Dwarvenite, except that it is mostly PVC, so I can't say whether or not it's safer than anything else made of PVC. Not knowing, I tend to be more cautious.

My personal opinion is it's not safe, and I wouldn't allow a child to play with it until the child can be trusted to diligently wash his or her hands after touching it, and when the child doesn't put anything gross into his or her mouth (including dirty fingers). I would treat it the same way I would treat allowing my child to play with a lead figure, which is probably more careful than many people would feel is necessary.

Depending on the maturity of my children, I'll introduce it as "daddy's toys" for use during roleplaying games only, hopefully transitioning their excitement over the toys into excitement over the game. Once they're conditioned to the idea that daddy's toys are expensive, they're not children's toys, they require permission to play with, and they require washing hands before and after touching, then I'll be more lenient about allowing them to "borrow" my toys. I'll probably add some other ridiculous parent-type restrictions though, like their rooms must be clean, whatever household jobs they have must be done, and they have to put them away correctly when they're finished...

...or, I'll throw out all my high-minded ideals of being a strict parent when my little girl says, "please daddy, can I play with the castles?" and, you know, maybe 3 years old is old enough... :-D

I'll try. We'll see. I'll report back in a few years how well it worked.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:22 pm

My 5 year old loves them too. Just wanted to put my two cents in!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:49 pm

My daughter does pretty much the same. She makes caverns and dungeons and populates them with her minis. She has princesses, ponies, knights, and elves. I bought a bucket of knights and elves and what not at ToysRUs for a couple pieces in it and gave the rest of the set to my daughter. They now make appearances in the dungeons and caverns and alongside Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys. She has also taken a shine to CBS, but where I store it is chilly in winter so until they have been out for a bit she needs help to seat the pegs.

I'm pretty sure a number of my daughter's regular toys are made of similar plastics to the dwarvenite. I do make her wash her hands after handling the older minis or one's painted with certain paints, but I'm not too worried about the plastics since she washes hands before dinner anywho.

Even my wife has taken a shine to minis. I realize that DF is a for profit business, but I also firmly believe it is a labor of love. Thank you to the DF staff for bringing such awesome and fun things to my table!

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:31 pm

My boys love them too. They have played with CBS for weeks now since it came home. I take away lighted pieces or tiny breakables unless I am sitting with them.

So the PVC used in the dwarvenite and be a danger to kids? I assume only if they eat it? My boys are 3 and 5.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:22 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Law wrote:Yeah, I make my kids wash their hands before they can play, but that's mostly to protect my DF, not to protect my kids.
It is important to have priorities ;)
They've got immune systems! City buildings aren't going to wash tomato sauce or strawberry jelly off themselves. ;)

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:11 pm

well, I have my adult son to blame for getting me into DF products... thanks, bud.

:-)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Law wrote:Yeah, I make my kids wash their hands before they can play, but that's mostly to protect my DF, not to protect my kids.
It is important to have priorities ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939