Thanks on behalf of my kids

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Thanks on behalf of my kids

Post by lostpict » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Well, my kids are complaining - Dad is spending their inheritance! :lol:

Seriously, my adult kids both think it is cool and it was so cool that it has seduced my 25 year old into becoming a gamer.

Thanks!
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Yeah, I make my kids wash their hands before they can play, but that's mostly to protect my DF, not to protect my kids. My kids have to wash my hands before most things for the latter anyway. ;)

As for child safety standards -- most of these pieces almost certainly conform. Those are typically about small bits that can break off and pose a choking hazard, which I don't see as being an issue with 99% of the Dwarvenite products. And there's no lead or anything else in these to pose a danger either. Just take the small pieces out and maybe the ones that move (like the doors) and you've got an instant goldmine.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you on behalf of my children too...in the future...when they're old enough...

As for marketing Dwarvenite to children, that would require testing and safety certification -- which can be quite costly.

My understanding is that acrylic paints (as used on factory-painted Dwarvenite) are generally non-toxic, except for certain colors, and that Dwarvenite is primarily #3 plastic (PVC), which is toxic and a carcinogen, but that's mostly a concern if it's eaten or heated excessively, or released into the environment. PVC can also contain lead as a stabilizer.

When my future children are old enough, I'll probably require hand-washing before and after "playing" with the Dwarvenite, or pretty much anything else I have for gaming (I still use many lead figures). But I agree these are incredibly cool for inspiring awesome structures only a child could imagine, and I look forward to the day I get to play with my children this way!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Thanks on behalf of my kids

Post by Law » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 am

I think I've made it clear that I'm a big fan of this stuff. So while I agree with everyone who's posted thanks to Stefan and everyone else at DF who makes this product available, I wanted to take a minute to flag something else.

Do you guys know how much fun this stuff is for kids?

I'm not even talking about gaming with it. I'm talking about just playing with it as toys. My kids have been playing with this stuff since before the Kickstarters, though I used to restrict what they could do a lot when it was resin. But my son was really into mazes (on paper, that you complete in pencil) when he was like four, and I showed him the basic passage pieces and they totally blew his mind. Once the KS1 came, I let him go to town. Now he's eight (just turned eight last week) and his sister is five. And they can spend an entire weekend on the floor with Dwarvenite and never tire of it. My daughter puts her little Disney princess dolls in it, her rubber ducks, her little Shopkins. My son uses the Dwarvenite minis and Reaper's Legendary Encounters and some D&D plastics. They build whatever they want, they rearrange it, they go nuts with it.

Recently, I've been overhearing my son telling my daughter that he wants her to hold off a minute so he can just admire something he's built before they populate it with whatever and start playing. He's starting to be old enough to want to build more sophisticated layouts and he's proud of what he comes up with.

But it's really astonishing to see. They call these the "dungeon pieces" no matter what set they're using, and they just have so much fun with it. I don't let them at CBS with quite the same abandon, since it's a bit more fussy, but I will create cities with my son's help and then let him stage ratmen-lizardmen-town guard battles in the streets. I built a city with a canal over the weekend and they pretended it was an underwater city for my daughter's Splashlings toys (little rubber smiling fish).

I expect other parents of young children know what I mean, but to anyone who hasn't seen it -- it really is an unexpected side benefit of having a DF collection. I never would have thought of this as something for kids. But, wow.

I know Stefan is an artist who wants to design and market things a very specific way. But, man, if you ever tire of this company in its current form and want to just make a ton of money -- market this stuff to kids at expensive boutique toy stores for rich kids. It's a license to print your own money. Those fancy boutique places that sell imported toys and Melissa & Doug wooden toys for so much. Thomas the Tank Engine trains cost a FORTUNE. Market these as castle building blocks, take some photos of kids playing with them, and you'll quadruple your sales. ;)