Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:01 am

I have 6 and they all came warped. Although 2 are not badly warped.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:46 am

While I do not have a warping issue with the twenty-four 8x8" mountain floors I have.

One thing I have learned is if Dwarvenite is going to warp it usually slowly warps over time and the remedy is to slowly warm it up and let it lay flat. PPM (pre-painted plastic miniatures) are easy to boil quickly to reshape but most Dwarvenite has a much higher mass so a quick boil does not reach the internal atomic core of awesomeness.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 am

I love Dwarvenite-G (for large floors anyway). I would not want 2x2" pieces to be Dwarvenite-G. My Dwarvenite-G floors are awesome. Once painted they look indistinguishable from the classic Dwarvenite but I don't have to worry about them warping if they get sat the wrong way. You don't even need to use a center post when building a raised area with them. They are rigid and strong. You can even use them as an overhang. If you did that with classic Dwarvenite it would warp badly.

The whole point of Dwarvenite is to not have to worry about damaging the pieces. I don't enjoy having to worry about keeping these floors stored just right (and even then they warp).

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:36 pm

I have not had nearly so much trouble with my 8x8 floors. They can get warped easily, but it is minimal.

I am VERY glad I got 6 of the new non G flagstone floors though I have not used them yet.

Yes, I really dislike Dwarvenite G.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:38 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:30 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm
Yeah, those are bad. Have you tried storing them upside down? (Peg holes up)
No, I have been storing them stacked one on another with a heavy book on the top, but I will give this a try. It can't hurt. Nothing else has seemed to work.
I was storing mine in a plastic tote that due to weight, bowed at the bottom a bit and my floors started to warp due to weight and a bowed surface. Storing them upside down and just trying to reduce weight on them seemed to do the trick. ::shrug::
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:30 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm
No, I have been storing them stacked one on another with a heavy book on the top, but I will give this a try. It can't hurt. Nothing else has seemed to work.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm

106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:00 pm

To put things in perspective, I have just been working on painting my Mountain sets and I hate the 8x8" mountain floors. Every one of mine is badly warped. I have tried boiling them and putting heavy books on them and nothing helps. After they set for a while the corner start to stick up. They are like teeter-totters. If you push down on one corner the other side pops up. When you put them side by side none of the edges line up (one is always higher than the other).

Now compare this with my Dwarvenite-G castle 8x8" floors where none are warped and they all sit nicely next to each other with no corners sticking up. I am so glad I got mine before they changed them to regular Dwarvenite. People can enjoy their new badly warped new and improved castle floors.

I am worried about my beautiful new Dungeon of Doom floors. I am not going to be happy if they are as badly warped as my mountain floors. I know I seem to be the only one but I wish DoD 8x8" floors were going Dwarvenite-G. I don't care how my stuff "sounds". I care how my stuff looks and my mountain floors look crappy with big obvious seams and corners sticking up.

Any floor bigger than 4x4" seems to be a problem with regular Dwarvenite.
Attachments
warpedfloor_02.JPG
warpedfloor_02.JPG (81.13 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Warpedfloor_01.JPG
Warpedfloor_01.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
warped floor.JPG
warped floor.JPG (125.33 KiB) Viewed 1294 times