Catacombs 2

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Catacombs 2

Post by Harneloot » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:04 am

By my figuring, there are only 8 Catacomb 1 sets left in the DF store...

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:35 pm

I just recieved my two Cat #2 Sets and two 6" Lighted Walls, but I still have 6 days till the Cat #1 Set gets here. I found the Sarcophagus Zach. Sorry man, but those are too nice to let go of. Now I need to find two skelly's lying flat or clothed corpses. I do have two chained maidens in bikinis that lay flat, they might fit inside.

I've made a nice large 16"x8" room with an entry about 4"x6" with all the pieces I have so far except the second 4x4 skull fountain. The lights all work well and are just as bitchen as everyone has said. Too 8-) Cool. Can't wait to post some pictures, just wish I had some nice miniatures (like Sorn's) to add to the shots.

Thanks Stefan, for your wonderously imaginative mind. Dig the 1/4 columns for corner fillers. :o

Now, if I can just win the $1,000,000,000 Power Ball, Stefan will never have to worry about his company again.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 am

William wrote:Zach, are you talking about the 4x4 Floor with LED Skull Fountain and inserts as the "tomb/vault"? Or the vault type doors? Unsure. :)
The "Sarcophagus with separate lid (2 pieces total)" not included in the picture in the store.

What's with that? That's virtually my favorite piece from the set!
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Zach, are you talking about the 4x4 Floor with LED Skull Fountain and inserts as the "tomb/vault"? Or the vault type doors? Unsure. :)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm

I have three of each, but also a bunch of the 4x4 & 2x2 floor packs, and a bunch of the 2x2 corner sets.

Depends on whether you want tight spaces or more open interiors...

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Harneloot wrote:Have not played around with these sets yet (though I own two #1's and one #2). Anyone have a guess at the proper ratio of Catacombs set 1 to set 2 should be for maximum flexibility?
For me it's 2 Catacombs 1 sets per 1 Catacombs 2 set.

I wish they sold the tomb/vault in Catacombs 2 individually... If anyone wants to sell their extras... :)
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Have not played around with these sets yet (though I own two #1's and one #2). Anyone have a guess at the proper ratio of Catacombs set 1 to set 2 should be for maximum flexibility?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 pm

Fun re-pre-view of the set Law. I just ordered my first Catacombs Sets today with some gift certificates I recieved over the holidays. I wanted two (2) Cat Set #1's and two (2) Cat Set #2's, but (FYI) there was a "one set per customer" restriction on the (Catacombs Set #1) that was two (2) #1's ten days ago. If you were thinking of getting some, think/fast they could be gone until the next restock.
Thanks Law. ;)

LordTentacle
Goblin
Goblin

Re:Catacombs 2

Post by LordTentacle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am

Hah!
Thanks for the flavor text, Law. I'll put it to good use :)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Catacombs 2

Post by Law » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:15 am

I'll do a proper Catacombs 2 review once I get my set, though it will be some time before I can really investigate the possibilities (and even MORE before I can take proper photos, sadly).

BUT I did have some thoughts as I've been studying the pieces and imagining what uses I'll have for them.

The most striking thing to me is that the corner walls really change the "profile" of the set. The first Catacombs set only provided curved walls, and three kinds at that: the curved corner pieces, the curved standing walls, and even the light-up alcoves (which, although they had a 90 degree back corner, gave the impression of being curved because they provided a curved interior). As a result, any catacombs layout until now has been very rounded and very "serpentine" -- all corridors and rooms have had soft edges and a smoothness to them. For the first time, the new corner walls are going to make it possible to do a catacomb with sharper angles.

On the one hand, the curved walls were excellent at creating a sense of claustrophobia, the notion that this stuff was buried deep underground, and that even where straight angles had been attempted, the weight of the earth pressing down and the passage of time has caused it all to sag and to squeeze areas into tighter spaces with softed edges.

On the other hand, the straight corners will allow for a break in the action - lots of winding corridors and curved spaces that suddenly break out into (especially with the addition of the larger floor pieces) a magnificent chamber. And one that is (relatively) well-maintained, with sharp corners and a stronger, straighter profile. A big rectangular or square room. It really creates a different look.

The other thing that has me SUPER excited are the little quarter pillars. That's something that we've never seen in DF before, and it REALLY adds value here. It makes it so much more possible to create unusual angles, becaues you can plug in the holes that result. Of course, with the Catacombs set, those holes were kinda fun, because it meant you can see little skulls in the alcoves.

Return to “Fantasy Master Maze products”