An idea for another line...

jimibones83
Orc
Orc

Re:An idea for another line...

Post by jimibones83 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 am

I\'d like a catacombs set. Even just some sort of catacombs add on might suffice

Also, the medieval buildings set is much needed in dwarvinite

These 2 are what I NEED most but there are countless other things I\'d buy

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:03 am

jackattack wrote:

Bump, because this idea (which occurred to shoesan1 and Stefan separately, at different times) is a contender for a Caverns Kickstarter add-on (the Critter Pack).

This caught my eye in the survey... especially for the idea of a small hole leading into the caverns - i love a squeeze (in fact i love anything that gives the bad guys an advantage over the good guys...) and the idea of being forced to chase them into their lair at a disadvantage...

Where\'s the halfling? You there, stop cowering in the back. Go in there and flush out the bad guys...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GriffinTamer
Orc
Orc

Post by GriffinTamer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Well, it would interest me as an add-on. Or as a separate line, I\'d be interested in a couple sets at least.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Bump, because this idea (which occurred to shoesan1 and Stefan separately, at different times) is a contender for a Caverns Kickstarter add-on (the Critter Pack).
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 am

A straight wall (or passage) with a hole in it would be sufficient as a dungeon transition. A dirt/stone transition with a Cavernous Passage end cap would take a set-up from warrens to caverns or show where the diggers gave up.

The only passage pieces this line absolutely needs are a straight (winding) piece and a curved turn piece. For rooms, floor pieces, curved corners, and straight(ish) walls (with one or two variants to break things up) should do it.

I'd like to see a long passage with six steps up (each large enough to stand a miniature on). Columns made of dirt or natural stone or big roots. Crude doors made of criss-crossed planks or bamboo. A passage end cap (maybe done as a collapse), and another with a "pit". A floor with a pit or a brackish pool.

For this particular line, passage intersections ("T" and "X") are not actually needed, but YMMV.

Depending on how the wall-floor seams are done, this line might also benefit from an "outside" (convex) curved corner piece, and a room-to-tunnel piece.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

shoesan1
Orc
Orc

Post by shoesan1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 am

I agree totally. A mine set would be cool, but was not my original intention. I wanted the simple dug-out look... by an animal, basic scavenging humanoid, or other low-intelligence creature. I think it could be done with few differing pieces and would make it a perfect candidate for dwarvenite. Adding a few more pieces, it could probably be done as a room/passage combo set (maybe the passage-type pieces are an add-on stretch goal set similar to the diagonal/curved walls for the current KS?). It would be easy to come up with really cool ideas for really nice additional add-on pieces, for sure... but what I am thinking of is a keep-it-simple set that lets you build basic tunnels and lair-type rooms. A nice conversion piece to the standard stone line gets you a way to add plenty of already-existing goodies. And I wonder if a conversion piece could be made general enough to allow it to convert to either the classic dungeon or cavernous passages/river lines... in one piece.
Shoe

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 am

Except that gemstones aren't actually mined from dirt, they are mined from stone. Same with precious metals. A mine set would be much better done as rough-hewn stone with wooden supports.

As for dirt warrens, I like the idea (possibly with roots on the walls for texture). They would be good for giant/dire animal burrows, ant/ankheg tunnels, lizard-man/kobold/whatever lairs, escape/sapper tunnels, and even root cellars. I don't see myself buying a lot of them, but the concept itself limits the number of pieces the line would need, so it might be profitable as a one or two set line that sticks to its concept.

That means making some choices about which pieces to sculpt. Square corners or curved corners? (Curved, of course!) Two inch or one inch passages? (I have an idea that combines them, for another post.) Passage intersections or straight passages only? (Requiring a room at every juncture.) Every line doesn't need to have an equivalent for every piece in every other line, and I think that's especially true for this line. So no spinning secret door, and no river pieces, and no freestanding stairs, etc. (Nothing against those in their own lines, just not needed here.)

As a kickstarter (having only ever followed the DF Game Tiles KS), I would offer a basic passage set to start with some specialty passage pieces as stretch goals, then offer a room expansion set as an add-on with some specialty roome pieces as stretch goals. Maybe throw in a couple of burrow denizen miniatures in both phases.

I like the idea of dirt warrens, and I like the idea of a mine set. But I really hope they will be executed as separate DF lines.

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 am

This set could have the mines as an add on piece and a couple of add-on tunnels with gems in them! All of the other tunnels and passage ways could be "plain" passages! You then get sorta of like having two sets; one plain and one with mine shafts!
"Keep the Dice Rollin"

nararabbit
Goblin
Goblin

Post by nararabbit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 am

I would totally buy an earthen type set, especially something that could easily be used for dwarves, i.e. it has gems sparkling from the walls, and the occasional stone support strut or arch built in. You could make a whole warren with only the earth pieces, or have it leading into an underground MM cathedral! Soooo cool! :-D

shoesan1
Orc
Orc

Post by shoesan1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Stefan wrote:

maybe now we can do many of these projects as we have a larger audience:)

Yay!
Shoe