Boat Set

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Boat Set

Post by LordDust » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:25 am

GODofwar wrote:So, Lord Dust, can you provide me a link to one of these 25mm boats?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
There are several sources I use and plan to use. Some are scale model kits that can work for 25-28mm, like the Hanse Kogge kit from Revell. I got mine as a gift when it was clearanced. For a while they were running around 100 USD, but they have come down a bit now. There are many others, 1/64 to roughly 1/72 tends to work pretty well but there tends to be a bit of wiggle room in the scaling.

The ships from Renaissance Miniatures are designed for gaming. They come as laser cut wood similar to what 4Ground Miniatures does. There is a basic paint job in place on them, though you can do more if you like, they have cloth sails, there are cannons if you want them, etc. I'm fairly fond of their stuff and the proprietors are good people in my experience (we've had a good bit of direct correspondence).

There are a number of toy boats out there that serve very well with a bit of modding. The unfortunate part is that prices on these seem to be rising quickly as supply dries up since a subset of our hobby has learned of this. Mega Blocks makes some and Disney had a few Pirates of the Caribbean ships that were nigh perfect fits but are now highly sought after as Disney collectibles, ships for war gaming, and a few other categories. I don't really have good links handy for those at the moment; my old ones lead to dead sites or defunct product pages (out of stocks I was monitoring in hopes of a restock).

Old Glory Miniatures offers an assortment of ships from various eras and genres, but I find them a bit lacking personally. I might be able to dress them up a bit but at the prices I find I would prefer Renaissance Miniatures handiwork myself. Perhaps for variety after I finish loading up on the other?

Last that I have links and/or good info handy for is MBA. Their stuff varies as far as looks and I prefer the bang for my buck with Renaissance Miniatures here again. Don't get me wrong, I love some of MBA's stuff and I like the guys behind MBA, I just feel like I need to go elsewhere for ships for the most part. I would likely pick up some docks and a row boat at a con since they often have a slightly better price for a few things at their convention booth.

Hope that helps you out some!

Edited for a typo that drove me nuts once I noticed it!
Last edited by LordDust on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:23 am

I really enjoy building ships. I finished both the dhow and the cog that I purchased. The gunboat I still need to do, just more projects leaped in front. U could always commission someone here on the forums to build and paint u a ship. Plenty of able bodied craftsmen to be found here. Just an idea.

iPad

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:43 pm

So, Lord Dust, can you provide me a link to one of these 25mm boats?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 am

monkplayer wrote:I looked at all the links but still don't see any ships with quite enough detail? I'm looking for ships with their sails and a crows nest that will fit in medieval times. I realize it may be expensive to find the right ship as well as pirates ship.
If you're looking for minimal work investment (i.e. largely assembled and painted) they are generally a bit prohibitive. I've been on the lookout for years and broke down and went for self-assembly. The level of detail on the "ready-out-the-box" types currently available for gaming is too low for my taste. The premade non-gaming models that are ready to go start at 300ish and run into the thousands if they're close to the scale we want. I'd love to offer you a solution that meets your criteria, but I can only get part of it in one go, not all of it. If you or anyone else finds it please do share!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:04 pm

monkplayer wrote:
GODofwar wrote:Maybe not needed. SOme stuff is coming online that is cheap and great looking.

http://madmechaguy.kong365.com/en-gb/co ... ying-barge

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
GodofWar
Thank you very much for thinking of me and taking the time to post this with links. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, this is the wrong scale, and I'm looking for wood or maybe resin. Arghhh. Still haven't bought a boat yet, but I will find it! In fact, I have found them but for $300-$800+ each...
MOnkplayer, so sorry. I didn't notice your scale.
Frankly, I mix scales with things like this. Even if the decks are too short to stow 25mm figs standing up, you can lay 'em over and stand 'em up when the action starts. And using WUBS bases they can take up less space. Consider it anyway.

I use 15mm in DwF stuff all the time, but going the other way could be tight.

Can you post links to the 28mm boats?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:21 pm

GODofwar wrote:Maybe not needed. SOme stuff is coming online that is cheap and great looking.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
GodofWar
Thank you very much for thinking of me and taking the time to post this with links. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, this is the wrong scale, and I'm looking for wood or maybe resin. Arghhh. Still haven't bought a boat yet, but I will find it! In fact, I have found them but for $300-$800+ each...
"Keep the Dice Rollin"

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Maybe not needed. SOme stuff is coming online that is cheap and great looking.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delendum Est
WeaselWarGod

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:51 pm

I looked at all the links but still don't see any ships with quite enough detail? I'm looking for ships with their sails and a crows nest that will fit in medieval times. I realize it may be expensive to find the right ship as well as pirates ship.
"Keep the Dice Rollin"

monkplayer
Ogre
Ogre

Post by monkplayer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Magniopi wrote:
Runeweaver wrote:That small boat in the foreground of your 2nd picture. There is a sloop-like ship around the corner of the dock. Is the small boat of Old Glory make? It looks really good.
It's not my picture so I can't say for sure, but it looks like a Miniature Building Authority Small Wooden Boat.
http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.c ... prod=10148
MBA Small Wooden Boat.jpg
I do believe it's MBA as I own a couple of them as well as another manufacturers.
"Keep the Dice Rollin"

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm bumping this thread for monkplayer.

@Monkplayer. This thread has some good ideas in it for your ships. I just recently purchased and painted a Kobblestone cog. It is a 10th century ship, so not what you are looking for, but I can say I really like the look of it. I also just received today a Dhow and a Philadelphia Gunship from Old Glory. Old Glory is truly more of a model and that requires some assembly, but they look (at first glance, haven't assembled them yet. Doing that today) pretty good.

If you are wanting wood, then Renaissance Miniatures is probably your best bet, but I don't like the pixelated look of the laser cut wood. That is a nuance though of the models themselves. Overall they do look cool and are especially geared toward 25-28mm, even have below deck fighting possibilities as the below decks are included with the purchase.