let us know how it goes

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Re:Crystalline Caverns

Post by Oldmanwillow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:16 pm

JenneyOC wrote:

that sounds kinda scary.

Quartz has a hardness of 9... I think I will try out the selenite at a hardness of 2 first.

but thanks for the instructions oldmanwillow!

You should be able to use some cheap mason bits for selenite. Protect your eyes.

tattooedtoad wanted to drill Quartz

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:41 pm

that sounds kinda scary.

Quartz has a hardness of 9... I think I will try out the selenite at a hardness of 2 first.

but thanks for the instructions oldmanwillow!

Oldmanwillow
Orc
Orc

Post by Oldmanwillow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 pm

How to drill glass and quartz.

You need a diamond drill bit. Use a slow speed and run water over the bit to prevent friction from damaging the bit. I saw a video where a lady used a power drill and a diamond hole saw. It was a large hole in a salad bowl she turned into a light fixture. She had her friend run water over the bit with a water hose. Very wet and messy Also dangerous but it turned out well..

I converted my dremel with a home made water drip to drill glass beads, quartz and agates. A water dish works perfectly fine if you have a helper.

Use slow speeds and try to keep the vibrations down. Don't press hard and use eye protection. A helper is a must unless you make some kind of drip. I like to hold the work in my hands and lift the work to the bit. The water drips across the bit and keeps it cool.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:32 pm

You can find LOTS of selenite on ebay for relatively cheap... I was waiting until I got my caverns to see what I though before picking up a selenite pillar or two.

It has a hardness of a 2 on Mohs Scale (along with Gypsum) and you should be able to scratch it with your fingernail. So in theory, you should be able to take a dremel to it quite easily to carve out a cavity for the light/LED mechanism.

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 pm

I've been picking up quartz Crystal clusters must have a clean base In order to light up I'll post when I figure out how to do this without shattering the cluster

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm

There are a lot of real crystals out there that you can get your hands on, but one of the more interesting ones which I've heard lights up nicely is Selenite. I went to a local mystic (woo-woo) shop and found some Selenite. Incidentally, the shop had a lot of cool fantasy related stuff, too. This is what it looks like:

If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm watching Krull (a Thanksgiving Day tradition I'm thinking about starting) and I just realized that the base of the Iron Fortress looks a lot like this kind of basalt formation.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dandare » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:29 pm

jgardner44 wrote:

I\'ve found that most of the crystal terrain out there is based on using quartz crystals to make the molds or styled after quartz crystals. I would love to see some more unique crystal terrain produced. I love the gf9 energon crystals because the are so unique, but the only come in purple :(. Does anyone else know of any other very unique crystals like these out there? Thanks for any feedback.

FYI, I have all three sets thus:

Note - I found that the Purple ones are much darker than the amethyst / lilac colour shown in that official picture.
FKe_LhB-sx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKe_LhB-sxU

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 am

I\'m hoping for a healthy mix of freestanding clear crystals and some clear crystals that might be slotted into floors and walls, possibly separated into different packs.

Freestanding clear crystals can go anywhere (even on game mats or in other companies\' terrain) and they can be geological features or spell effects.

Using full 2\"x2\" footprint pieces as bases allows for larger crystals and/or different angles.

Now that DF has icinite, they could produce this entire proposed cavern set (for example) in opaque Dwarvenite (unpainted and pre-painted) and in clear (and possibly multiple colors of) icinite. Slotting crystals into a separate base allows for mixing and matching.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Return to “Fantasy Master Maze products”