Seeking vet DF fans opinions on "knockoff" lines

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re:Seeking vet DF fans opinions on "knockoff" lines

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum?func= ... 9778#49890

This is a Dungeonstone set I recently completed painting. If you look closely (and know Hirst Arts product), you can tell that the bricks have a distinctly different stone pattern and shape from Hirst.

It is a good product, a nice addition to our hobby.

Dungeonstone

Re:Seeking vet DF fans opinions on

Post by Dungeonstone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 pm

It's not a problem at all. No need to apologize.

With so much terrain being set in the same 25mm scale, it is a relatively easy mistake to make.

Unfortunately though when it comes to potential copyright issues regarding your properties you are basically obligated to clarify the situation when a question regarding the origin or ownership of a property comes up.

jericho
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jericho » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:58 pm

Dungeonstone wrote:

jericho wrote:
Hi!

I think you mean Dungeonstone. Dungeonstone is a company that uses Hirst Arts Molds to assemble dungeons.

I'm sorry but I need to correct you on this part.

We do not use any Hirst Arts properties in the design or production of our products.

All Dungeonstone models are developed from our own bricks, tiles sets and original sculpture and as such we are the sole copyright owners to these works.

Sorry about that. I guess I just assumed so because they look so similar to Hirst. After a closer look I can see that the fieldstone is a different pattern. Again my apologies.

Dungeonstone

Post by Dungeonstone » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:43 pm

jericho wrote:

Hi!

I think you mean Dungeonstone. Dungeonstone is a company that uses Hirst Arts Molds to assemble dungeons.

I'm sorry but I need to correct you on this part.

We do not use any Hirst Arts properties in the design or production of our products.

All Dungeonstone models are developed from our own bricks, tiles sets and original sculpture and as such we are the sole copyright owners to these works.

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 am

Man, I new someone was going to ask me! Give me a few days and I'll try to codify it.

jericho
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jericho » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 pm

What is your color match scheme if you don't mind my asking?

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I love DF and HA and now that I finally have a good color match they go together great. Both Stefan and Bruce are great guys and a boon to the RPG world.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Accessories for my DF stuff that are cast and painted by someone else - YES!

Unique pieces that are mods of DF stuff or unique cast HA or other types of pieces that I can use in my DF set-ups - YES!

Trying to match the quality & diversity of DF with ANY other type of anything that is out there - laughable!!!

Trying to cast DOE, MBS, Cavern, Classic Dungeon, Hellscape and Catacomb myself.....lets not be absurd!!!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Based on pictures and website info, I'd say that Hirst Arts pieces are about 85-90% compatible with Dwarven Forge. The walls are a little thicker, and the passages are a little lower. And matching the paint job can be tricky.

There are a couple-few companies that also do miniature indoor terrain, and do a good job of it. At least one sells pre-painted sets, but the rest don't. For my money (see what I did there?) none of them are as quite as good as DF, but your mileage may vary. Of the three or four I'm thinking of, one or two might have started as DF knock-offs but their products are sufficiently unique and creative that they are welcome additions to the the field.

Now there have been a few instances of genuine rip-offs and scams over the years. Someone put a set of molds for catacombs (unrelated to the upcoming DF release) on eBay as a way to enter the "lucrative" modular terrain industry and "plug a hole" in the DF product range. Someone else took ideas from these boards to start a rival company. And someone tried to sell unpainted re-castings of actual DF products on eBay. Misleading, sleazy, and actually illegal, respectively.

Custom pieces, usually available as singles, are frequently actual DF pieces that were purchased and modified. This is completely legal, and it is usually easy to judge the quality of the modifications by looking at the photo. If there isn't a photo, don't bid on it.

Accessories for modular terrain systems are likely to be 100% compatible, and can make for really nice additions to DF set-ups. Most non-DF architectural pieces will work fine alongside DF pieces, but not mixed in with them -- a non-DF room works fine next to a DF room, but using non-DF corners on the edges of a DF room won't be seamless.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

David Wasilewski
Orc
Orc

Post by David Wasilewski » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 am

Its the eternal "money cost vs time cost" conundrum.

Personally, I'd rather spend my spare time painting miniatures and dungeon furniture and take the hit on cost for the pre painted terrain that DF offers. I don't have the time to do both.

Of course, some others may have more spare time so making their own dungeon and hand painting it is good for them - there's no "right way" only your way!

:)

Dave

Return to “Fantasy Master Maze products”