Sewer set thoughts

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re:Sewer set thoughts

Post by biowizard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Wow. Stefan, I really made you spill a lot of beans, as you often say! Go gremlins!!!

Sandra is going to sculpt ratmen for Dwarven Forge! Great!

You are considering making this Set in Dwarvenite, launching another KS just for it? That will please a LOT of people. I'm in, whatever the medium.

I looked back at the Cavern Rivers and Lakes pieces I already have and those pieces are thicker themselves than plain cavern floors. I never realized that until now. I guess it shows for the Sewer Set (unlike for the Cavern Set) because of the sharped angled bricks of the lip.

An alternative solution to have a flush canal full of clear resin could be to have thicker floor.

thebigteacher
Orc
Orc

Post by thebigteacher » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

I can't wait for this sewer set and the rat dude is exceptional as well. I just finished reading Gregor the Overlander (a gift from one of my students) and the rat fits so very well with the ones portrayed in the story. A simple but enjoyable read. Bring on the sewers!
Attachments
Gregor1.jpg
Gregor1.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:04 pm

OMG TELL ME YOU'RE MAKING RATMEN!!!

If not, I'll have to scoop up some GW skaven minis. Oh, who am I kidding - I'll get both! ;)

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Also, another reason I like the tooth edge is for gaming purposes....in some configurations it will cause a very perilous edge that only the most nimble of characters will be able to navigate...not so for the Ratmen of course, who will not only be very comfortable walking there, but will be just as adept at clinging to walls and sticking you from above!

Zaltar of Valoria
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Zaltar of Valoria » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Bio,

There is no getting anything by you:)

Yes, indeed the lip is necessary to provide enough area for us to pour resin water into and so it will be at least slightly deep...we also cannot make the floors too thin...so unless we don't want resin water it will have to be there...

I tried several variations on the design but personally like the triangle "tooth" like primitive design for reasons I don't know....it just looks kool...we play a game of fantasy after all, not quite historical...the jagged dinosaur tooth lip just feels right to me...like something REH like...

these are the wax models...they will look more dingy when painted...although my mother loves the color as it is (she is Roman) perhaps we will need to do two different paint style or If in dwarvenite some folks may choose to paint it as lighter color blocks...

I wonder what a Kickstarter in this would do:)

Attachments
get_attachment__1_-622aa28a2399301ef37ba88d9220dff4.jpg
get_attachment__1_-622aa28a2399301ef37ba88d9220dff4.jpg (101.05 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
get_attachment__4_.jpg
get_attachment__4_.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 3039 times

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 pm

This thread is already full of SO MUCH WIN!! Thank you for linking to Crazy Herald's sewer pics, thanks to everyone for providing so many good design tips and ideas, and THANK YOU STEFAN for the tease pic of the month!!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:22 am

Hmmm.. I don't seem to be able to see your images. But I think your theory is correct -- the raised "lip" on the canal is to keep the resin from flowing out of its designated slot.

Can't WAIT to see these in final production. The lip doesn't bother me as much as you -- it seems more pronounced in profile (the upper left corner where you've pointed it out) than from other perspectives (like the lower right). It might look even less intrusive when there's resin in there.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:18 am

I made a few images to express my thoughts better. This is a side view of the pieces with or without a passage way between the "wall" and the "canal" of the sewers:

It really makes for a wonderfully modular and customizable Set and it solves sooooo many design problems.

This is what I think is the present design of canal pieces (Protruding bricks on each side of canal pieces):

Again, I think the sides of canals could look better if they were not higher than the floors (as per the Cavern River and Lake Sets). Perhaps I am misreading the image Stefan just posted or perhaps this design is necessary to pour a very thick layer of clear resin in there.
Attachments
Dwarven_Forge_sewers_floor_section_V_shape.jpg
Dwarven_Forge_sewers_floor_section_V_shape.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 am

OMG, I'm DYING!! That looks so freaking AWESOME!

Man, it's amazing how awesome this stuff is. Time and time again I am just totally floored by how great it looks. I collect a lot of lines and I have a lot of hobbies, but one of my hard-and-fast rules is: If it's Dwarven Forge, I buy it. There's never any doubt. This set looks like it will be EPIC.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 am

I don't know if it is already too late for possible constructive criticism or if my concern are void since these are just prototypes yet too be improved but I think having a V-shaped (red arrow) enclosure between the rounded walls and the canal pieces is possibly unaesthetic, water would accumulate there and not reach the canal.

I guess each sides of the canals are that high to be able able to contain resin poured over them while the middle section of canals are thick enough for production.

Perhaps the bricks on each side of the canal pieces could be rounded?
Attachments
get_attachment__1_-24c8a964e2e981b599f79161e7c65ce6.jpg
get_attachment__1_-24c8a964e2e981b599f79161e7c65ce6.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

Return to “Fantasy Master Maze products”