PLEASE restock the resin Room Set!

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: PLEASE restock the resin Room Set!

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:34 am

One side effect of the Dwarvenite surge is the increase of listings for classic resin sets on ebay. Sometimes for very good prices. I am swimming in resin (which is nice!) but have been tempted by some auctions. Not like I need more Caverns, Room, Rooms and Passages....but man it is so tempting.
Your best bet is to bite the bullet and grab one of these when they show up. As much as we would like it, I doubt much $ can be used to restock the original classic sets.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Might I suggest that you either use your damaged sets for mods or sell them at a discount (as you replace them, of course) to someone that would like to try modding resin? I would think there would be a market and it could help recoup some of the replacement costs for you.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Two reasons I prefer to keep things boxed now: keeping pieces safe, and keeping my collection organized.

When I lived up north, I tended to keep my DF mostly on display, with large setups out all the time on shelves. After awhile, I realized I was storing large empty boxes with Styrofoam in them for no reason. I tossed the packaging, and when I DID put things away, I just used plastic bins from Target. I could fit the equivalent of like 3-4 large DF boxes into one mid-sized bin. I could stick TONS of smaller pieces into small bins -- like 3-4 chasm sets etc.

Then I moved. Put my collection in those pod things and shipped it down south. And while I did what I could to secure things, I nonetheless found upon reaching my new home that a significant portion of my DF was damaged.

The caverns took the worst hits -- stalagmites broken, entire walls cracked in half. But a lot of pieces took smaller bits of damage. Even when I couldn't SEE the damage, I could see lots of chipped resin in the bottom of the bins.

I did what I could to repair it all, glued the larger pieces back together, but it was very disheartening. It just reminded me of the importance and value of having form-fitting Styrofoam to protect this stuff.

The other thing is that it's much easier to find a specific piece or set if I keep the original boxes. Another big change in my life is that I have less room for everything than I used to have (two kids later....) So my stuff is mostly in storage, and I take it out occasionally and then eventually put it back. Because I have a LOT of stuff in storage, DF is only about 40% of it. That means that when I go moving things around and looking for stuff, the DF collection tends to get separated. Finding it in clear bins is not the hardest thing in the world, but it can still be difficult. Plus, half the point of condensing things into the bins to save space was that I was prioritizing space over everything else -- I tried to keep things organized by theme (caverns with caverns, dungeons with dungeons) but really, there was no easy way to locate anything. Which of the 5-10 boxes of dungeon pieces has the spiral stairs? Which of the 5-10 boxes of caverns has this large stalagmite piece or this dead end piece? There's something incredibly convenient and simple about just having a stack of white boxes with clear labels. You want the dungeon large double doors? Wicked Additions 3. Just move boxes around until you find that label. No shifting through bin after bin after bin, often having to move entire columns of boxes aside so I can reach one on the bottom so I can open it so I can see what's there.

Knowing that everything is secure and organized, it's just so much more convenient. Yes, it takes up more space, but that's fine. It's in storage anyway, so the space is less of an issue, and it keeps the scale of my collection in perspective (i.e. keeps me from ordering 4 or 5 of something when really only 1 is probably fine).

(Dwarvenite, of course, tosses all this out the window. I couldn't keep using the small boxes it comes in, nor would I want to. But luckily, my KS1 and 2 fit in 3 or 4 bins rather easily, and I'm working out the best way to store KS3 long term.)

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:48 pm

Agree about Resin restocks. Dwarvenite is fun and useful, but the Resin are works of art.

Just curious Law - why do you prefer your pieces to remain in their boxes? What *unboxing* regrets do you have?

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55 am

And the basic walls with torches lit/unlit are just awesome,

I wish the resin pieces are restocked, if not as full room sets, at least as packs of 4-5 individual pieces.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

PLEASE restock the resin Room Set!

Post by Law » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:14 am

I have been quietly rebuilding my resin collection after so much of it was damaged when I moved a few years ago. Mainly what I've been trying to do is assemble a collection of clean, new, boxed sets -- since much of my collection had been de-boxed and I've regretted it ever since.

I've had to accept the fact that in some cases, where I used to own 4 or 5 of some sets, I can't really grab another 5. But I've managed to do a lot.

The one thing I DON'T have is a basic room set. I would love to be able to have a nice, safe, properly boxed room set. Please restock it! I know the KS1 tiles are the "default" DF dungeon style now, and they are fun, but there is no substitute for DF resin. Please bring it back!