Discord - Who are you? and why?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Discord - Who are you? and why?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 am

So with the new Twitch channel DF have launched a Discord server.

So what we want to know is:

1 - Are you on there?
If you are who are you? (relevant if your using a different username than on here)

2 - If you are not on then why not?

3 - The main question we have is how will it be different to the Forums?

And gererally interested in DooFer thoughts overall.

EDIT: added numbers to the questions as it might make seeing the answers easier :)
Last edited by Rabbit Burner on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Discord - Who are you? and why?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:04 am

So we will start :)

1 - We are on as Rabbit Burner :shock:

We had an existing but little used account, so we thought 'Why not'

3 - The last question is the toughest.

Discord lends itself to online back and forth chat as opposed to more considered posts that the Forum uses. Expecting users online at the same time chatting away almost like on the Twitch chat or a Whats App group.

It is not very busy at the moment so relatively easy to keep up with posts. DF staff seem quite active, we have Mace and Hamster active on there.

We currently use our phone which makes posting pictures a pain but we are becoming a dab hand at linking our Flickr albums :)

If it gets busier we will have to ask ourselves do we want to dedicate the time to keep up like we do on here. As we do not like dipping in and out as your never quite sure what you have missed or got the whole story.

Hopefully we will work it out as we go along :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:35 am

1. Yes
2. I will not post for two reasons.
a.My hearing is impaired. It takes a lot of concentration to make out much or even anything. I turn my hearing aides off in a restaurant to cut out the confusing back ground noise. The chit chat is confusing. I saw that you were there. I did not respond because I need to watch What is being said.I can't read the comments at the same time.
b. I am a poor typist. It takes to long to edit my post to chat.I am old.I have been retired longer than texting is been popular. I do not need to do it so I do not practice.
3.I have an I phone.I use the camera. I am not going to use it as anything but as emergency contact.I don't like to talk long,the key board is too small. I like face time because I can see. I use it on my tablet to keep up with family.

With out CC the live feed is not something I enjoy.
As I finished up my post I saw Twitch chat or a Whats App group.
I realized discord is something else so change #1 to no ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm

1. Nope

2. None at all, because I have limited satellite internet data to use. I can spend all day on the Forum and it uses hardly any data. Every Video, video ad, HD picture, just eats data for no good reason. You try 10 gigs in a 30 day cycle and tell me you don't want/need more.
A TV channel I used to watch, all day, most days on DISH satellite went to just digital on-line in January. Now I miss most of it, because It's broadcast in HD without a way to minimize in a settings drop-down. I still want to watch that, but can only see limited shows here and there. Prior to the switch I never ran out of data, now I do every month and I don't want to purchase extra every month, because my income is fixed and minimal.

3. I won't be there, that's how. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:19 pm

1. Nope
2. I try to keep links to specific fandoms focused on one primary location, like this channel and then the KS comment sections. It helps to keep up with conversations. I do watch twitch broadcasts and might comment on twitch chats if there is reason to.
3. I tend to prefer the more enduring longer lived format of discussion forums vs dynamic chats. Too often in some chats, the conversation moves way to fast to keep any coherent conversation going.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:23 pm

I am not on Discord as I prefer to do my social media stuff when I have time, not in real time.

It makes me feel like I'm living 20 years ago, where if you weren't home when your TV show aired, you just missed it and that was that. I prefer watching shows when I have time to watch shows.

Same thing with the forums here, I check in throughout the day when I have time. Sometimes there are new replies, sometimes there aren't. But it's on my own schedule so I can contribute more.
101 Resin and 295 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm on Discord as FlyingMonkey. Mostly use the service to share painted miniatures in the Twitch streams I follow that use Discord for that purpose.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Wellllll....

1. I am not on there now and have not really taken a look at it.

2. I really do not need another rime sink, especially one that duplicates here. I already try to watch twitch a lot, but that will also fall away once school restarts in April.

3. It is nice to have a place DF people interact as they basically do not here, but I'm happy to interact with the people who are here.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ChrilleT
Orc
Orc

Post by ChrilleT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 pm

1 I´m on Discord with the same username as here (ChrilleT).
2 I´m pretty new and consider myself a beginner on Discord but I can´t even find Dwarven Forge when using those search words over there. Is the channel called something else?
3 I like the forum format more but I´m a member in a few game related Channels.

Edit : Found DF´s Discord.
Last edited by ChrilleT on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

1) NOPE - Don't know what Discord is, although i did go to Twitch for the first time ever just to look up DF

2) Too many demands on my time - not enough time. I can "waste" a few minutes between tasks checking in here, or if i am ten minutes early to pick up my kids or whatever. I often necro week old threads simply because i am finally getting to them (time was when there were 7-15 new posts a day and you could have god like omniscience of these forums with 15 minutes a day - now i feel like it takes hours just to stay close to finger on the pulse). I rarely watch anything for more than an hour unless i am folding laundry.

3) The forums are a dialog, most comment type things tend to be more in the moment responses to stimuli

I hope a get a chance to watch some of the twitch, but mostly it will be archived content anyway - so the chat functionality is sort of a moot point

BTW - I am 53yrs old - conversations like this make me feel like i am 75 - come to think of it my 86yr old father spends more time on social media than i do... - i guess the point is, i really don't WANT to live more of my life online and i feel like the world is funneling me there This is why i play D&D face to face with people rather than online. I like people... and i like to get out of the house!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Website & Other Suggestions”