Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:51 pm

Yes!! I think Back to the Dungeons is a great idea! Thanks so much for throwing us a bone! :D

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Thank you, Nate. Yes, that did help.

Dungeons it is. Personally I don't think you folks could have made a better choice. It is Dungeons and Dragons after all. If you are looking for new blood, this was your best bet.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:26 pm

They look great.

I take it these dungeon tiles will take sliding molds like the KS2 caverns did and not the basic molds that were used for KS1 dungeons.

I look forward to adding these to my dungeon and they make me hopeful for RoTA in Dwarvenite in the future.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks for the update Nate.

The teaser sculpt looks very cool, a modified Dungeon Tile or some such. That would be nice for other sections of a dungeon or for new customers to start with a different looking set.

But PLEASE keep in mind the utility of pieces too. Many of us are excited about how some of the KS4 pieces like wall spacers and bridges can be used with basic dungeon tiles for more interesting layouts. I'm personally more interested and excited about those types of clever pieces that can be used in many different ways. I'd be happy if even only 10-20% of the pieces are of the "utility" nature. I want more options for layouts of dungeons and caverns as a DM. Diorama cities or castles are amazing, but harder to use on the fly in a gaming session if you can't pre-build.

I was hoping for caverns stuff this time too. I think there is actually more needed there, in the same sculpt style, to make more organic looking caverns. It would suck to have to wait two whole years to address the caverns. But I'm totally for you guys not trying to be as ambitious as KS3 or KS4 with the number of sculpts.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Thank you natetaylor and jchunick!

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by natetaylor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Glad you're all champing at the bit for KS5 info. We are super excited about it ourselves.

Thanks for your patience on info.

Honestly, the lack of information about KS5 is much less secrecy, and much more lack of time.

KS4 production has been intensely more involved than any previous project. We have over 260 pieces and a lot of them are very complex. And we have new materials in the mix. So I've been buried in near constant review, revision, improvement, and testing of all this stuff. This is on top of my full-time job. Oh yeah, and I had a new baby 4 months ago, so he's been a little demanding too.

The net result of all these factors is that other than developing initial mocks and sketches, I haven't had much bandwidth to start creating official teaser materials for KS5. So that's why you haven't seen anything yet.

Meanwhile, Stefan has had his head down in the clay, powering through a whole bunch of new sculpts for KS5. And he's been doing test builds for KS4. And has been remarkably disciplined about not leaking any KS5 photos onto facebook...

The good news is KS4 pieces are turning out even better than expected. We've made a ton of little improvements along the way and are thrilled to share the final product with you very soon. Some of these new additions are as follows:
  • - rubber pads under many of the pieces to avoid slippage
    - metal hooks on the wall accessories for a firm grip and compatibility with non-castle sets
    - felt pads inside the wall Platforms for a more snug fit
    - a hook system for the gatehouse portcullis allowing it to be set at 4 different heights
    - an easy-to-connect socket for the standing LED pieces to make it easier to swap them around
    - metal pegs in most of the pole accessories for added durability
    - rolling wheels in the mantlet & mangonel
    - a wall-removal tool for prying a wall skin off the front of a spacer without removing anything stacked on top.
    - we snuck a few extra pieces into some of the sets
    - a working spring-release for the trapdoor in the gatehouse floor (it's awesome!)
On the KS5 front, the good news is we're further ahead of our sculpting schedule than ever before. By the end of the year we'll have about 100 clay masters in China ready for prototype casting (last year at this point we had none there). This means we'll have more time to prepare the KS page with more clear photos, videos, and info for new backers. And more time to do a variety of prototype builds and examples.

While we're on the topic of KS5, here's some official info to get you theorizing:
  • - The theme will be a return to the dungeon.
    - The bulk of the pieces will be the old faithful DF shapes and sizes you're used to.
    - We'll be exploring some exciting new features in the dungeon, utilizing many of the innovations we've made over the past four years.
    - Our goal is to keep the project as affordable as possible. Initial buy-in will be as cheap as we can make it, and the number of add-ones will be more manageable.
    - Our total sculpts will be about half of last year so you won't have to spend a couple of grand to get a sample of everything. Of course we won't stop you if you want to spend a few grand to get a ton of everything...
    - This KS will be the perfect chance for anyone who missed out on KS1 to get their own dungeons at KS prices. But there will also be more than enough cool stuff (add-ons and new core-sets) for backers who are drowning in KS1 dungeons already.
    - We're working in a few mega packs since those have proven to be very popular in the last two projects.
    - We'll launch in the spring as usual, but timing will be contingent on KS4 delivery.
    - Originally for this KS we wanted to do additions to all the Dwarvenite lines, but once we added up all the mold numbers we realized dungeons alone was more than enough to fill a single KS. That being said, maybe a few non-dungeon add-ons might sneak their way into the project...
Okay, is that enough to whet your appetite? We'll start some official teasers in the new year, probably "soon"...

Happiest holidays to all of you!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Riley wrote:Quick, someone determine whether that is true 1" scale, or KS1 scale:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/95 ... c0f89dd723
In the photo of Stefan sculpting there's a KS1 tile there for reference.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Return to the dungeon....
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 pm

William wrote:Did our moaning cause this update or were you about to do it anyway? :lol:

Nate, ya'll should send a teaser out soon about 2017 KS-5 to the KS-1, KS-2 and KS-3 backers too, there were many more on those KickStarters. Just sayin'. ;)
... a little bit of both, actually ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Did our moaning cause this update or were you about to do it anyway? :lol:

Nate, ya'll should send a teaser out soon about 2017 KS-5 to the KS-1, KS-2 and KS-3 backers too, there were many more on those KickStarters. Just sayin'. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )