Latest games with the kids

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Latest games with the kids

Post by bernyleung » Sun May 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Law wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am
Also, in reviewing Against the Giants (in order to shamelessly steal some ideas), I realized that the head frost giant is named Jarl. Which means that the name of the mountain lair of the frost giants (at least in German) is . . . Jarlsberg.

Thirty or so years later, I get the joke.
A cheesy little joke, for sure.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun May 27, 2018 7:42 am

Huh! I did not know that!

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 pm

This sounds like a really fun game. If I recall correctly, though, the frost giant leader isn't named Jarl. Jarl is his title. As in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_jarls. Joke still works, though.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sat May 26, 2018 1:55 pm

I love that your kiddos are incorporating ideas into their gameplay, even at such a young age. :)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am

Also, in reviewing Against the Giants (in order to shamelessly steal some ideas), I realized that the head frost giant is named Jarl. Which means that the name of the mountain lair of the frost giants (at least in German) is . . . Jarlsberg.

Thirty or so years later, I get the joke.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Latest games with the kids

Post by Law » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am

As if they could sense my mounting excitement over the upcoming DoD release, my kids have been asking more and more for some D&D games lately, so we've resumed our campaign. (Kids are 10 and 8 -- my son loves combat and statistics, kind of a munchkin power gamer, and my daughter loves role playing.)

When they began playing, I had an NPC cleric accompany them to offer healing and take the brunt of attacks so the kids' characters would survive. As a result, we routinely lost the cleric on our adventures, and I always subbed in a mysterious relative with a nearly-identical name and the same stats on the next adventure. (Buburu was replaced by Cucuru, replaced by Duduru, replaced by Eureuru, replaced by Fufuru...) Eventually we folded in the idea of a family curse into our game -- the Huhuru family of clerics was afflicted by some kind of patriarchal curse.

My daughter wanted to use time travel to identify the source of the Huhuru curse, and we decided to incorporate that into a new "Against the Giants" type game. So last adventure, they braved the fortress of the fire giants to locate the time portal. After uncovering a flame-shaped key hidden in a nook in a statue, the players worked their way to the treasure room to use the key -- only to discover that the time portal contained TWO keyholes. A red keyhole, and a white one. At that point they were interrupted by King Fafnir, who inform them that the portal has gone unused since the fire giants had a falling out with the frost giants. The players elected to seek the white key in the frost giant lair, and Fafnir elected to come with them, convinced they'd never stand a chance without him (and looking forward to repaying the frost giants for whatever insult prompted the falling out).

Next game, planned for this weekend: the players assault the lair of the frost giants accompanied by a companion they cannot control and may not even be able to trust, but on whom they must depend (they'll be outclassed by most foes in the frost giant lair -- Luluru the Cleric and Adoltin the Wizard are both 7th level, Druidoin the Fighter is 9th, and Spikey the wizard is 6th. They may be able to count on the help of some kobold slaves that Spikey can befriend, who will gladly join any attempt to disrupt the lives of their cruel masters). What lies ahead: a fire giant who will want to blow their cover and destroy as much frost giant property as possible, risking exposing the players to combatants they cannot hope to defeat, the attempt to unravel the mystery of what caused the falling out (it's going to turn out that neither side actually remembers the origin of the fight, they're just pissed at each other now), and the sad realization from Luluru that the giants used to wreak horrible damage on the land back when they were united. Their rivalry has made them manageable and saved innocent lives -- uniting the clans for the sake of using the portal to save her family could have ruinous consequences for everyone else. The players could try to steal the keys and use the portal without getting the giants to unite, but since Fafnir will undoubtedly blow their cover, that's going to be tough. The plan, up until the end, is going to be that once the clans unite again, they will permit the players to use the portal in gratitude. Thwarting the peace and promised aid would not make the giants charitable. In their rage, they might even destroy the portal.

Also, Adoltin turned Fafnir's brother (Fasholt, obviously) into a slug, and Fafnir hasn't learned this fact yet. If he somehow finds out, his rage may cause him to forget his dispute with the frost giants.