Some Painted Minis

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Orc
Orc

Re: Some Painted Minis

Post by zenako » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:15 am

Yup, one persons "basic tabletop quality" might be another person's "OMG these are awesome" paint jobs. As long as they are good enough for your gaming groups table, all is good.

Lately I finally got around to mass painting all the various lesser undead I had from multiple Bones KS, so perhaps 30 or 40 skeletons and zombies. (one can never have too many of those!) Those figures by their very nature (Bones level of detail and being undead) often have little detail to worry about or need clean lines. So those ~35 probably took a combined 4 or 5 hours total. On the other hand, the few mounted "knights" I also started then have been worked on for a couple of hours each so far and still don't see the table. Those pack horses have some very nice shading effects that accent their muscles nicely. I also like how he used different color saddle blankets on each one to make it easy to tell them apart in use. Those bright colors also provide a good contrast to the muted earth tones of all the leather gear. It is some of the little things like that which will elevate the visual appeal of a mini and take it from ok to very good/great.

Morden's crafstmanship has set the bar pretty high (for his table) and those minis all look really (really) good in the pictures.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:56 am

Deathound wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:41 am
Those are really nice for "painted quickly" :shock:
Well...relatively quickly. Remember that as stated I am the slowest painter in Valoria. I did the horses themselves in a few hours, and then they sat on the shelf for weeks while I worked on other things. I just got around to finishing all the pack gear and basing them. I probably have six to eight hours in the set of three.

Thanks for the kind words!

Deathound
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Deathound » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:41 am

Those are really nice for "painted quickly" :shock:

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Here are some pack horses I recently finished. Nothing fancy, painted quickly for basic tabletop quality.

Deathound
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Deathound » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Wow fantastic work.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:12 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 pm
Mr. Morden

I am a slow as you and my results are nowhere near as good!!!

I covet your ability to blend I am just learning but those are fantastic the free hand is awesome I haven’t even attempted anything on that scale

Thanks for sharing and I agree a web section for painting would be great fun
Thanks! Just keep painting and don’t be afraid to try new or more advanced techniques, and your painting will improve.

As for blending, if you learn how to do glazes well, you can blend just about anything.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Mr. Morden

I am a slow as you and my results are nowhere near as good!!!

I covet your ability to blend I am just learning but those are fantastic the free hand is awesome I haven’t even attempted anything on that scale

Thanks for sharing and I agree a web section for painting would be great fun
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am

Also guys, I'd love to see your minis, even if you don't think they're good.

Maybe DF should have a painting section, where we could have topics both for painting DF pieces and minis...

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:06 am
Good luck with that, it feels like a holy grail,

We have a mountain of minis collected over the last 15 years and only started painting 2 years ago. So looking for tabletop standard at the moment, though always trying not to feth it up and give them as good a job as possible.
Not shading yet, edge highlighting is what we are struggling with at the moment but getting better :)
Thanks. If you are doing washes, you are shading. It's all just a matter of how far you take it. I am doing a lot of glazes now, which is how I did the Kenku cloak. Previously, I would do a base coat, then a darker wash to get the shadow tones, then go back to the base tone to do a first highlight pass, and then a lighter color for the final highlight. Using that method you can get good results pretty quickly, if you're not an OCD painter like me. I also just started experimenting with wet blending. So far the results are not awesome.

You probably know this, but a trick to edge highlighting is that whenever the model allows is, use the side of the brush rather than the tip; you'll get much more even and sharper lines that way. Also don't go up too bright on the edge highlight color, especially on darker colors. A shade or two up usually looks nice, if you try to go too bright it will look cartoonish or like it's got neon around it.

I highly recommend anybody who wants to paint better to check out Vince Venturella's YouTube channel, he has many videos that are very detailed on specific topics (washes, highlighting, glazes, etc). He also hosts a Google+ Group called PMP ("Painters Motivating Painters") where you can share your work and get feedback.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PhatWOP001/featured (click "videos" to see all his vids)

Google+: https://plus.google.com/communities/117 ... 4119760063 (private group, you'll have to join to see posts)

Good luck, and keep painting!
Last edited by MrMorden on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:06 am

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Fabulous beautiful minis MrM :)
Thank you. No, I might be the slowest ever. I probably have 10-12 hours in the Kenku. I am OCD with painting, and It’s easy for me to lose hours shading and re-shading the same part of a mini.

I’m working on trying to imcrease my speed without losing quality. That usually means knowing when more work is just as likely to screw it up as make it better.
Good luck with that, it feels like a holy grail,

We have a mountain of minis collected over the last 15 years and only started painting 2 years ago. So looking for tabletop standard at the moment, though always trying not to feth it up and give them as good a job as possible.
Not shading yet, edge highlighting is what we are struggling with at the moment but getting better :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan