28mm scale trees, home made for our new Dreadhallow soon

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: 28mm scale trees, home made for our new Dreadhallow soon

Post by zenako » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

Depending on how the green filter material looks, you might even be able to skip the flocking since in my experience that stuff almost always is shedding some bits and you end up with a debris trail to clean up later. Unless you are making diorama level encounter settings, even just a base green, perhaps with some spray painted (air brushed) tinting might also be good to go. You could always add more flocking later. I would assess how it looked along the way and probably stop when I felt it was "good enough" for my purposes along the way.

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am

zenako wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm
Those do look nice, but the whole process looks to be a lot of work to get a good result at the end. I used to make a lot of Model Railroad trees for my layouts back in the parents basement in my much younger days, and he was right, those looked great but were most definitely not meant to be handled at all. Wonder if he looked to find any green filter material to start with for the foliage base layers, that would make it a little bit easier and skip a step or two. IF he had a belt sander, those dowel points would be quick and easy to make. I do like his technique for building up the base of the trunk with the extra wood putty steps. Makes them clearly look more organic than just a plain wooden dowel.
I was thinking the same thing, green filter material. Will put some time into it after a winter of painting and catching up from getting back into this wonderful terrain era only 2 months ago. Swamped. That aside, good thought on a sander to sharpen them. Anything to keep the cost down, and give a durable game table nice terrain piece. I think for a 4'x6' GamesWorkshop https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ci ... board-2016 using this technique would give a nice large scattering of trees for PCs to wander through heading to a town or Dreadhallow setting.

Figure doing up 50 of these first go around to see how dense it would make the board would be a start. Use an air brush to give some variation to the colors maybe. Primary goal being just have a nice forest. Worry about super detail for looks later.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Ooh, those look awesome and durable! I will definitely have to try those at some point! Bookmarked.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Those do look nice, but the whole process looks to be a lot of work to get a good result at the end. I used to make a lot of Model Railroad trees for my layouts back in the parents basement in my much younger days, and he was right, those looked great but were most definitely not meant to be handled at all. Wonder if he looked to find any green filter material to start with for the foliage base layers, that would make it a little bit easier and skip a step or two. IF he had a belt sander, those dowel points would be quick and easy to make. I do like his technique for building up the base of the trunk with the extra wood putty steps. Makes them clearly look more organic than just a plain wooden dowel.

Glendel
Orc
Orc

28mm scale trees, home made for our new Dreadhallow soon

Post by Glendel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Came across this. Going to do this for sure, looks great. I will not be able to do it soon and post my results as I am in the midst of painting 3 capitol cities, 2 empire streets, and 2 monster sewers. *BUT* this is a solid way to make some great trees for low budget:

https://www.beastsofwar.com/terrain/ter ... top-trees/